OT - when do they understand 'No'?

Old April 11th 04, 04:06 AM
teapot

Default OT - when do they understand 'No'?

Or should it be when do they stop doing whatever they are not supposed
to do when you say 'No'?

I am consistent about my 'No's'. Nn slapping the cat, no pulling
cables and putting them in your mouth, no playing with plugs but he
takes very little notice of me.

Teapot and the Moo boy 10mths old
Old April 11th 04, 06:20 AM
Plissken

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
| Or should it be when do they stop doing whatever they are not supposed
| to do when you say 'No'?
|
| I am consistent about my 'No's'. Nn slapping the cat, no pulling
| cables and putting them in your mouth, no playing with plugs but he
| takes very little notice of me.

I am curious about this too. DD (11 months) seems to think no means do it
again and get there real fast so I can do it before mom can get to me :-)

Nadene

Old April 11th 04, 06:42 AM
Nikki

teapot wrote:
Or should it be when do they stop doing whatever they are not supposed
to do when you say 'No'?

I am consistent about my 'No's'. Nn slapping the cat, no pulling
cables and putting them in your mouth, no playing with plugs but he
takes very little notice of me.

Teapot and the Moo boy 10mths old

Like everything else I think it depends on the kid :-) Hunter minded 'no'
quite early...by 15 months and I clearly remember telling the doctor I'd
never even told him no at his 12mo well baby visit, lol. Obviously he was
my first! Luke was much older then that before No worked reliably. He was
quicker, more impulsive, and more defiant. I don't mean defiant in a
negative way. He was just more likely to do exactly what you told him not
to do for the reaction or to test out the consequence. He was a lot more
focused and persistent as well so distraction wasn't as easy. He made a bee
line for an electrical cord/outlet like he was drawn by a magnet.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old April 11th 04, 06:44 AM
CY

My DD understood what "no" meant by the time she was about 9-10 months old.
That does not mean she always obeyed it. I reinforced it by ALWAYS while
saying "NO", removing the object or her from the object that was a no.
After enough times (maybe 5-10), she would look at me before she did the
forbidden thing as if to say "Is it different this time?!" I also made
natural consequences the "punishment". So, if I told her she couldn't hurt
the dog, the dog would be moved away from her EVERY time she did it (I think
consistency is the key). HTH!
om...

Old April 11th 04, 09:23 AM
Cat

"teapot" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
Or should it be when do they stop doing whatever they are not supposed
to do when you say 'No'?

I am consistent about my 'No's'. Nn slapping the cat, no pulling
cables and putting them in your mouth, no playing with plugs but he
takes very little notice of me.

Teapot and the Moo boy 10mths old

I would say around two years :-D

Tine, Denmark

Old April 11th 04, 09:24 AM
Cat

"teapot" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
Or should it be when do they stop doing whatever they are not supposed
to do when you say 'No'?

I am consistent about my 'No's'. Nn slapping the cat, no pulling
cables and putting them in your mouth, no playing with plugs but he
takes very little notice of me.

Teapot and the Moo boy 10mths old

....and if you say 'don't slap the cat' he hears 'slap the cat'. Try to say
'be nice to the cat' in stead.

Tine, Denmark

Old April 11th 04, 02:52 PM
teapot

"Cat" wrote in message .dk...
"teapot" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
Or should it be when do they stop doing whatever they are not supposed
to do when you say 'No'?

I am consistent about my 'No's'. Nn slapping the cat, no pulling
cables and putting them in your mouth, no playing with plugs but he
takes very little notice of me.

Teapot and the Moo boy 10mths old

...and if you say 'don't slap the cat' he hears 'slap the cat'. Try to say
'be nice to the cat' in stead.

Tine, Denmark

Ahh, it's like training a dog then! I do say 'gently with the cat' but
it is usually quickly followed by a 'No' as he just goes for her. She
is a rescue cat and scratches him but he thinks she is a fabulous toy.

teapot
Old April 11th 04, 03:21 PM
Cat

"teapot" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
"Cat" wrote in message

.dk...
"teapot" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
Or should it be when do they stop doing whatever they are not supposed
to do when you say 'No'?

I am consistent about my 'No's'. Nn slapping the cat, no pulling
cables and putting them in your mouth, no playing with plugs but he
takes very little notice of me.

Teapot and the Moo boy 10mths old

...and if you say 'don't slap the cat' he hears 'slap the cat'. Try to

say
'be nice to the cat' in stead.

Tine, Denmark

Ahh, it's like training a dog then! I do say 'gently with the cat' but
it is usually quickly followed by a 'No' as he just goes for her. She
is a rescue cat and scratches him but he thinks she is a fabulous toy.

Yup! Try 'gentle, gentle, gentle'. Nothing to confuse the message :-)

But I think he's to young.

Tine, Denmark

Old April 11th 04, 05:22 PM
The Watsons