How to make a 3 year old understand

Old August 8th 06, 09:44 PM posted to misc.kids
Jennifer Massey-Howe

Default How to make a 3 year old understand

I had my daughter in the shopping cart today buckled in, and she can
unbuckle herself. She today Unbuckled herself which I didn't notice, I
turned around to grab something off the shelf at the store and by the time I
grabbed what I was looking for she had stood up, leaned over and fell out of
the cart. Thank goodness she wasn't hurt but how do I prevent this from
happening again? If I let her walk she runs from me in the store and need
something to contain her. And yes I have to take her with me most of the
time because daddy can't always watch her.

Jennifer
Ariana 8/17/03
Alex 6/4/05

Old August 8th 06, 10:43 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Jennifer Massey-Howe wrote:
I had my daughter in the shopping cart today buckled in, and she can
unbuckle herself. She today Unbuckled herself which I didn't notice, I
turned around to grab something off the shelf at the store and by the time I
grabbed what I was looking for she had stood up, leaned over and fell out of
the cart. Thank goodness she wasn't hurt but how do I prevent this from
happening again? If I let her walk she runs from me in the store and need
something to contain her. And yes I have to take her with me most of the
time because daddy can't always watch her.

Get a better restraint (perhaps one that buckles
behind her where she can't reach it?) or keep your eyes
or hands on her all the time. I know it's frustrating.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old August 8th 06, 11:13 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"Jennifer Massey-Howe" wrote:

I had my daughter in the shopping cart today buckled in, and she can
unbuckle herself. She today Unbuckled herself which I didn't notice, I
turned around to grab something off the shelf at the store and by the time I
grabbed what I was looking for she had stood up, leaned over and fell out of
the cart. Thank goodness she wasn't hurt but how do I prevent this from
happening again? If I let her walk she runs from me in the store and need

If she won't walk with you, and you won't use a harness of some sort,
you will have to change your shopping habits while she is in this
stage.

something to contain her. And yes I have to take her with me most of the
time because daddy can't always watch her.

Perhaps you could put a harness on her and buckle her into the cart
with the buckle in the back.

Before the days when we had places to buckle into a shopping cart, I
used to put the baby in the Infaseat on the pocketbook shelf, and have
the next oldest one sit in the bottom of the cart. It would be more
obvious that she was standing up if she did that from there, and the
center of gravity would be lower. Don't know if that is an option or
not.

In the days when we had only one car, I had to wait for dh to get home
in order to go out and shop, so it should be possible for you to do
the same.

Also I suggest shopping only once a week, with a list which is written
in the order that things are stocked in the store so shopping can be
done quickly and efficiently. I rarely had to go to the store between
times. Whatever we ran out of, I did without until the next time I
could get to the store.

Old August 9th 06, 12:05 AM posted to misc.kids
Marie

"Jennifer Massey-Howe" wrote in message
I had my daughter in the shopping cart today buckled in, and she can
unbuckle herself. She today Unbuckled herself which I didn't notice, I
turned around to grab something off the shelf at the store and by the time

grabbed what I was looking for she had stood up, leaned over and fell out

of
the cart. Thank goodness she wasn't hurt but how do I prevent this from
happening again? If I let her walk she runs from me in the store and need
something to contain her. And yes I have to take her with me most of the
time because daddy can't always watch her.

Well, you could hold her hand while you're walking. Or don't turn your back
on her while she's in the cart. I always held one hand on the kid in the
cart when I leaned over to get something off the shelf.
Marie

Old August 9th 06, 01:48 AM posted to misc.kids
L.

Jennifer Massey-Howe wrote:
I had my daughter in the shopping cart today buckled in, and she can
unbuckle herself. She today Unbuckled herself which I didn't notice, I
turned around to grab something off the shelf at the store and by the time I
grabbed what I was looking for she had stood up, leaned over and fell out of
the cart. Thank goodness she wasn't hurt but how do I prevent this from
happening again? If I let her walk she runs from me in the store and need
something to contain her. And yes I have to take her with me most of the
time because daddy can't always watch her.

Jennifer
Ariana 8/17/03
Alex 6/4/05

I have a harness I purchased at BabiesRUs which is a cart cover and
5-point restraint. DS has a lot of trouble getting out of it, so I can
always catch him before he escapes.

-L.

Old August 9th 06, 02:26 AM posted to misc.kids
JennP.

Jennifer Massey-Howe wrote:
I had my daughter in the shopping cart today buckled in, and she can
unbuckle herself. She today Unbuckled herself which I didn't notice, I
turned around to grab something off the shelf at the store and by the time I
grabbed what I was looking for she had stood up, leaned over and fell out of
the cart. Thank goodness she wasn't hurt but how do I prevent this from
happening again? If I let her walk she runs from me in the store and need
something to contain her. And yes I have to take her with me most of the
time because daddy can't always watch her.

Maybe the episode was scary enough that she won't do it again? If she
starts again, maybe you can remind her of what happened last time?

My sympathies. I am not really a fan of shopping with my kids. Can you
arrange for babysitting the weeks when dh can't watch her? I know I use
my babysittin co-op coupons often for shopping trips.

JennP.

Old August 9th 06, 03:02 AM posted to misc.kids
momof4

I had the same thing happen to me and my 2 1/2 yr old and it scared the
daylights out of me and her. Our Kroger store has the carts with the
toddler seats with the 5 pt harrness and they are great. Every store
needs these.

Old August 9th 06, 11:46 AM posted to misc.kids
KR

My almost-3 year old does this too. I just figure she will grow out of
it, when she runs away she has to be carried (against her wish of
course) or ride in a stroller or cart. She still runs though, and has
been doing so for at least a year. It's just hard to handle a runner
when you have a baby as well, but we're coping! I pretty much restrict
my shopping to places with carts.

I'm amazed by toddlers who just follow their moms through the store, I
can't see that happening with our kids, ever! LOL

KR

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
"Jennifer Massey-Howe" wrote:

I had my daughter in the shopping cart today buckled in, and she can
unbuckle herself. She today Unbuckled herself which I didn't notice, I
turned around to grab something off the shelf at the store and by the time I
grabbed what I was looking for she had stood up, leaned over and fell out of
the cart. Thank goodness she wasn't hurt but how do I prevent this from
happening again? If I let her walk she runs from me in the store and need
something to contain her. And yes I have to take her with me most of the
time because daddy can't always watch her.

Well, your first problem is that she runs away. This is a safety issue. DS1
was allowed to walk unless he ran off. Bad behaviour meant he was put into
the seat. Remember that a 3yo can actually be helpful at the shops, and to
make it interesting -- I showed DS1 why I picked out particular vegetables,
pointing out blemishes etc, asked him to choose between the various fruit
yoghurts, and so on. Being stuck in a trolley with nothing to do might be the
problem rather than the solution.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue

Old August 9th 06, 03:03 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

"Jennifer Massey-Howe" wrote in message
I had my daughter in the shopping cart today buckled in, and she can
unbuckle herself. She today Unbuckled herself which I didn't notice, I
turned around to grab something off the shelf at the store and by the time
I grabbed what I was looking for she had stood up, leaned over and fell out
of the cart. Thank goodness she wasn't hurt but how do I prevent this from
happening again? If I let her walk she runs from me in the store and need
something to contain her. And yes I have to take her with me most of the
time because daddy can't always watch her.

One thing I used to do with DS was grab a toy from the toy isle and let him
play with it while I shopped. I made it clear we're not buying it. It's
usually one of those electronic toys that is made to be tried out. If
anyone is concerned, it doesn't damage the toys in any way. The toys still
look brand new when we put it back. Nowadays, if the kids are on good
behavior, we will visit the toy isle at the end of the shopping trip.

Old August 9th 06, 03:34 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

I used shopping trips as a special time and let them have a sucker or frozen
drink or a special treat like cookies. I also tried very hard to not shop
with them. You may have to go at night while hubby is there, weekends, or
late at night when she is in bed until she is able to understand better.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)