Godparents

Old August 10th 03, 04:18 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Default Godparents

dragonlady wrote:

Christening isn't a lay term, so much as it is a "naming" ceremony.

Catholics practice infant baptism; that is the name of the sacrement.
However, the baby is often also named at that time, so some people will
refer to it as a "christening", even though it includes a baptism.

Correct as far as I've been able to determine, and
for Protestants as well as Catholics.

Some Protestants practice infant baptism. The ones with which I am
familiar do not also call it a christening.

I do know Protestants who use the term "christening."
I think for many, the terms have become so conflated that
they are used interchangeably when talking about infant
baptisms, regardless of the fact that they technically aren't
the same. I agree, though, that I've never heard the
term "christening" applied to anything but an infant
baptism--which would make sense.
I think people (including Protestants) also tend
to use the term "christening" when talking about related
items/events. For instance, although one hears them
occasionally, "baptismal gown" and "baptismal party" are
far less common than "christening gown" and "christening
party/brunch." But, of course, it's always a "baptismal font"
not a "christening font" ;-)
Speaking of which, it's time for me to get out
the christening/baptismal gown and get it cleaned and
add another name to it...

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old August 10th 03, 11:57 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

dragonlady wrote:

Christening isn't a lay term, so much as it is a "naming" ceremony.

Catholics practice infant baptism; that is the name of the sacrement.
However, the baby is often also named at that time, so some people will
refer to it as a "christening", even though it includes a baptism.

Correct as far as I've been able to determine, and
for Protestants as well as Catholics.

Some Protestants practice infant baptism. The ones with which I am
familiar do not also call it a christening.

I do know Protestants who use the term "christening."
I think for many, the terms have become so conflated that
they are used interchangeably when talking about infant
baptisms, regardless of the fact that they technically aren't
the same. I agree, though, that I've never heard the
term "christening" applied to anything but an infant
baptism--which would make sense.

Actually, I meant exactly the opposite: that some who do NOT do infant
baptism will still have christening ceremonies -- it is a ceremony
welcoming the child into the faith community, and officially naming the
baby. However, the baby is not baptised, as, in many protestant
churches, baptism is something that can only be done after the "age of
reason" and at the request of the celebrant.