Sims computer game

Old November 4th 06, 09:41 PM posted to misc.kids
Bodi

Default Sims computer game

Can someone please tell me about this game? Is it appropriate for a 9
(1/2) y/o? What might not be good about it?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old November 5th 06, 12:23 AM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

My 8 year old likes it. She makes houses and neighbourhoods, puts
families in them etc. I can't think of a down side to the softwear.

Here is a good descriptive review
http://www.gardenandhearth.com/Kids-Reviews/Sims.htm

We have some expansion packs and my 12 and 15 year old sons have
figured out some strange things to do, like neglect characters until
they die on purpose (causing the grim reaper to literally appear and
little graveyards), but I've never seen anything objectionable in terms
of violence or sexuality.

The dream houses my kids have made have been very funny (i.e. my sons
build bachelor paradises with huge big screen tvs, pool tables,
swimming pools, leopard print carpets etc. - but no kitchens. They've
even forgotten bedrooms.

Good lessons in urban planning too.

Mary G.

Old November 5th 06, 12:56 AM posted to misc.kids
Bodi

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 16:41:24 -0500, Bodi wrote:

Can someone please tell me about this game? Is it appropriate for a 9
(1/2) y/o? What might not be good about it?

Thanks for any feedback.

What about the new version? Sims 2? Is it about the same as the original
or less appropriate for that age?

Thanks.
Old November 5th 06, 01:15 AM posted to misc.kids
Grahame

The only thing I dont like for young ones, is, some simes because of their
aspiratrions, have to "WHOO HOO" 3 different sims etc...or then 4 etc....to
me it premotes imorality a bit.
But if you choose the family aspiration, then that doesnt seem to have the
same ones.
I love sims and sims 2 but I only allow my 13 yr old girl to play with
restrictions.
All the best
Fiona
ups.com...

Old November 5th 06, 01:54 AM posted to misc.kids
xkatx

"Bodi" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 16:41:24 -0500, Bodi wrote:

Can someone please tell me about this game? Is it appropriate for a 9
(1/2) y/o? What might not be good about it?

Thanks for any feedback.

What about the new version? Sims 2? Is it about the same as the original
or less appropriate for that age?

Thanks.

My opinion of the Sims is that it is an appropriate game for a 9 year old.
I wouldn't have a problem with my child playing it even at a younger age,
although I do think that since there is *kind of* a point to the game, like
building a house, making money, having the characters hold down jobs, eat,
etc., I don't think that a younger age would really get the point. At 9
years old, though, I would think that would be an alright age to play the
game with a better idea of what's going on in mind.
TBH, I kind of wish DS (5 years old) would ask to play the Sims over GTA
Vice City - which I really KNOW is not age appropriate for a 5 year old, 9
year old or even 15 year old. His dad got him playing that game, and
really, that rips me a new one, as now it's me trying to get him off a game
he doesn't get the idea of and just likes it because it's racing and driving
and shooting (and swearing and killing mixed in with that)
So, I would say go for the Sims, and really, Sims or Sims 2, as well as any
and all expansion packs, are all about the same as far as the game goes.
Basically just different options and things (articles, jobs, whatever) that
makes the difference between each version.

Old November 5th 06, 09:24 AM posted to misc.kids
Engram

"Bodi" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 16:41:24 -0500, Bodi wrote:

Can someone please tell me about this game? Is it appropriate for a 9
(1/2) y/o? What might not be good about it?

Thanks for any feedback.

What about the new version? Sims 2? Is it about the same as the original
or less appropriate for that age?

I have played both and would say that for the most part both would be
appropriate for a 9 year old, but the Sims 2 with a caveat...

The first Sims game only had the option for the sim people to adopt a baby
and could only do the "wild thing" in a particular bed. The Sims 2 has the
option for the sims to "woo hoo" in any bed, as well as to "try for baby".
While you do not see anything (there's a little video of them jumping under
the covers and the bed rocks, but that's as graphic as it gets) this is what
earns the game it's "Teen" rating. Also, as Grahame mentioned, the Sims 2
also has lifetime aspirations, one of which is Romance, where a sim aspires
to fall in love with and woo hoo with as many sims as possible.

If you monitor what your child does and how they play the game, which
aspitations their sims have, etc, there shouldn't be a problem. Just
remember that this is a "teen" rated game with "mild sexual themes" that you
are allowing a non-teen to play.

Kasia