avoid spicy foods??

Old January 15th 04, 05:41 AM
nam0827

Default avoid spicy foods??

hi all mothers

my daughter turned 6 wks today. we've been doing fairly well with our BF,
however, i do have some concerns that i'd like to share and hopefully rec.
feedback on from the other moms. i've already learned a great deal just
reading the other posts. my question is, is it okay to eat (in moderation)
things cooked w/ onion and/or garlic? my husband has been doing more of the
cooking, but even when i cook, it's hard not to put these in the food, we're so
used to it in the dishes we make. i have been told, by MIL and neighbor, that
when BF, it's better for baby to avoid any hot, spicy, etc foods. does anyone
have a specific food or ingredient, that based on personal experience it is
best to avoid?

lately my daughter is a dream during the day, sleeps well, but at night usually
around 6:00 pm and going sometimes into the wee hours, she won't settle down
for a decent stretch. she keeps wanting to nurse, then pulling off the nipple,
spits up, gets horrible hiccups, on and on. my mom said it sounds like gas, i
even made a 2am run to walgreens to buy the gas drops, but i don't think they
really helped, maybe only slightly. is my daughter reacting to something in my
diet? i don't know what to do, she seems so miserable and i can't console her,
rocking, pacing w/ her, patting her until she basically wears herself out.

i also have a three yr old son, who is extremely energetic. could my daughter
just be reacting to overstimulation, the evenings are usually high activity
periods, bathtime, dinner time, etc. i would appreciate any advice or feedback
on someone else's experience.

TIA

rosemary

Old January 15th 04, 12:05 PM
Sue

Hi Rosemary,

Congratulations on your new baby )

You don't need to avoid spicy foods or any foods at all, unless your
daughter does seem to react to it. But remember, there is normal gassy/fussy
and then there is extreme gas and fussiness. I would watch the caffiene
intake in the afternoon, that could bother her for the evening. What you are
going through in the evening just sounds like a normal, maybe overtired,
overstimulated baby. Your supply dips a little in the evening so perhaps
that is why she is getting a little frustrated. You probably could use more
water during the day to keep your supply up. Many others on the board can
help you better than I can on increasing your night time production, but
mainly just keep at nursing. Keep things quiet. You also might want to try
and get her to go to sleep an hour earlier than what you are doing now. It
could be that she is just overstimulated and tired and needs to sleep a bit
earlier. Can your husband take care of your other child and get him to bed
while you concentrate on your daughter. That was a lifesaver to me when my
husband would take over the night time routine with our two other children.
Hang in there, it really does sound like newborn stuff.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 15th 04, 12:31 PM
Linz

On 15 Jan 2004 05:41:54 GMT, (nam0827) wrote:

hi all mothers

my daughter turned 6 wks today. we've been doing fairly well with our BF,
however, i do have some concerns that i'd like to share and hopefully rec.
feedback on from the other moms. i've already learned a great deal just
reading the other posts. my question is, is it okay to eat (in moderation)
things cooked w/ onion and/or garlic? my husband has been doing more of the
cooking, but even when i cook, it's hard not to put these in the food, we're so
used to it in the dishes we make. i have been told, by MIL and neighbor, that
when BF, it's better for baby to avoid any hot, spicy, etc foods. does anyone
have a specific food or ingredient, that based on personal experience it is
best to avoid?

I haven't been avoiding anything - I eat chilli, Indian food, whatever
I fancy. I justify this to myself by asking what Mexican or Asian
women do about hot/spicy/oniony/garlicky food when they have babies!

[...]

It may be that she's got colic, it may be that she's slept enough
during the day and so doesn't want to sleep at night, it may be that
she's pulling off because your milk let-down is too forceful. I'm
beginning to think we should go with the other name for let-down -
milk ejection reflex. That's how mine was in the beginning, an ejected
jet of milk that caused YoungBloke to pull off and wail because he was
hungry but couldn't swallow fast enough.
--
Linz
YB: 12 weeks, around 13lbs
Old January 15th 04, 12:33 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

I agree with Sue's post. There's no reason to avoid any spicy foods.
In fact, most babies LIKE the flavor the spices give to your milk. (!)
Your baby does sound as though she might be overstimulated in the
evenings, but there may also be a problem with insufficient burping
(REALLY hard to do well when mom is tired) or another source of physical
discomfort. Maybe she just needs to suck to sleep? Try offering a
finger instead of a breast to suck, or even a pacifier if she's nursing
well, and see if that helps. (You said she's six weeks, I think? So a
pacifier should be okay at this point if you don't have personal
objections to using one.)

I hope these ideas help,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old January 15th 04, 02:32 PM

(nam0827) wrote in message ...

i have been told, by MIL and neighbor, that
when BF, it's better for baby to avoid any hot, spicy, etc foods.

I never did, and I live in the Southwest. My food has jalapenos and
serranos and habeneros in it, and DS has never reacted to them. Now
he eats food spiced with them happily. :-)

does anyone
have a specific food or ingredient, that based on personal experience it is
best to avoid?

I had to avoid dairy products for about six months. Some babies have
a milk protein allergy (not an allergy to lactose, but an allergy to
cow's milk protein) for the first months of their lives and then
outgrow it; that seems to be what happened to us.

lately my daughter is a dream during the day, sleeps well, but at night usually
around 6:00 pm and going sometimes into the wee hours, she won't settle down
for a decent stretch. she keeps wanting to nurse, then pulling off the nipple,
spits up, gets horrible hiccups, on and on.

This sounds an awful lot like what DS did at that age. I don't know
if it's just the age, if it's that she wants to nurse but doesn't
really have room for the milk she gets when she does, or if it's that
she has a milk protein allergy, or something else. But I can tell you
that in my case it got better after I cut dairy out of my diet. He
also spent many evenings in a sling, which kept him contented, plus
the ongoing rocking motion helped to move gas through his system.

i also have a three yr old son, who is extremely energetic. could my daughter
just be reacting to overstimulation, the evenings are usually high activity
periods, bathtime, dinner time, etc.

Maybe, although I'd guess she's probably pretty used to it from in
utero!

--
C, mama to one year old nursling
Old January 15th 04, 03:36 PM
Nina

"nam0827" wrote in message
[...]

I wouldnt worry about it, i hear babies actually like the taste of garlic
and other things. Its one reason breast milk is better than formula, its
taste isnt always the same. Plus, they say thats how kids become accustomed
to the particular diet of their region, gradually by tasting the flavors in
milk, they become used to it.
Mexican babies do just fine and the diet there is pretty spicy.

lately my daughter is a dream during the day, sleeps well, but at night

usually
around 6:00 pm and going sometimes into the wee hours, she won't settle

down
for a decent stretch. she keeps wanting to nurse, then pulling off the

nipple,
spits up, gets horrible hiccups, on and on. my mom said it sounds like

gas, i
even made a 2am run to walgreens to buy the gas drops, but i don't think

they
really helped, maybe only slightly. is my daughter reacting to something

in my
diet? i don't know what to do, she seems so miserable and i can't console

her,
rocking, pacing w/ her, patting her until she basically wears herself out.

Mine used to have gassy periods as well, she just kind of grew out of it.
She still gets gas, but it doesnt pain her as much

Old January 15th 04, 03:48 PM
Nikki

(nam0827) wrote in message ...
hi all mothers

my daughter turned 6 wks today. we've been doing fairly well with our BF,

Great...and congrats :-)

my question is, is it okay to eat (in moderation)
things cooked w/ onion and/or garlic?

I ate tons of these things starting at about 2-3 weeks and my babies
never had a problem. Some foods (dairy is the most common) will cause
a reaction in baby but I think onions and garlic are *way* down at the
bottom of that list. I didn't have to avoid anything with mine.

lately my daughter is a dream during the day, sleeps well, but at night usually
around 6:00 pm and going sometimes into the wee hours, she won't settle down
for a decent stretch. she keeps wanting to nurse, then pulling off the nipple,
spits up, gets horrible hiccups, on and on.

There are many things this could be. My second son was liket his
starting at 4 weeks. I discovered that he was tired and wanted to
suck to sleep, but he did not want milk. The excess milk made him
uncomfortable. I started letting him suck on my pinky (nail side
down) and all was well. If he was really hungry he'd refuse the pinky
so I never had to worry about not feeding him when I should. You
could also introduce a pacifier (mine wouldn't take one). If you feel
she is over stimulated you may try just taking her in a dark room and
not doing anything at all. When Luke was overstimulated patting and
rocking etc. made it worse. I would just lay down beside him and not
do anything. He cried but wasn't alone, just miserable. He'd fall
asleep in 5 minutes and then I could get up.

It is easy for second babies to get overstimulated since you are still
working out a routine with the toddlers etc. I found things settled
down in that regard by around 2 months so you are getting there :-)

Oh - one more thing I did. If I could get him to take a 30-45 min nap
in the late afternoon/early evening life was *much* easier. This is
about the only time of day I used the swing.

--

Nikki
Old January 15th 04, 06:11 PM
kirsti

my question is, is it okay to eat (in moderation)
things cooked w/ onion and/or garlic?

Most nursing babies actually like it when their mothers eat garlic.

http://www.parentsplace.com/expert/l...106446,00.html

"Garlic, in sufficient quantity, will alter the smell and taste of
breastmilk. This peaks in intensity two hours following consumption.
Though your expressed milk may have a pungent aroma, researchers have
found that babies actually prefer garlic flavored mothers' milk! In
one study, nursing moms were given either a placebo or a garlic
capsule on the day of testing. It was found that the infants nursed
longer, sucked more, and took in a larger quantity, when their mom's
milk had the aroma and flavor of garlic (Mennella & Beauchamp, 1991)."

--
kirsti

Old January 15th 04, 06:37 PM
Tine Andersen

"kirsti" skrev i en meddelelse

my question is, is it okay to eat (in moderation)
things cooked w/ onion and/or garlic?

Most nursing babies actually like it when their mothers eat garlic.

http://www.parentsplace.com/expert/l...106446,00.html

"Garlic, in sufficient quantity, will alter the smell and taste of
breastmilk. This peaks in intensity two hours following consumption.
Though your expressed milk may have a pungent aroma, researchers have
found that babies actually prefer garlic flavored mothers' milk! In
one study, nursing moms were given either a placebo or a garlic
capsule on the day of testing. It was found that the infants nursed
longer, sucked more, and took in a larger quantity, when their mom's
milk had the aroma and flavor of garlic (Mennella & Beauchamp, 1991)."

We have a chef her who used to cook interesting food for his wife while she
nursed. He said: this is the only way I can give my kid good taste
experiences. He actually said he could tell the difference (not directly
from the tap, as I recall it).

He told about it in a newspaper and held a speach during a nurse festival.

Tine, Denmark

Old January 25th 04, 05:56 PM
Liz S. Reynolds

In article ,
nam0827 wrote:
hi all mothers

my daughter turned 6 wks today. we've been doing fairly well with our BF,
however, i do have some concerns that i'd like to share and hopefully rec.
feedback on from the other moms. i've already learned a great deal just
reading the other posts. my question is, is it okay to eat (in moderation)
things cooked w/ onion and/or garlic? my husband has been doing more of the
cooking, but even when i cook, it's hard not to put these in the food, we're so
used to it in the dishes we make. i have been told, by MIL and neighbor, that
when BF, it's better for baby to avoid any hot, spicy, etc foods. does anyone
have a specific food or ingredient, that based on personal experience it is
best to avoid?

I've you've always eaten that way, keep doing it. Women from cultures that normally
eat very spicy food don't stop just because they had a baby.

i also have a three yr old son, who is extremely energetic. could my daughter
just be reacting to overstimulation, the evenings are usually high activity
periods, bathtime, dinner time, etc. i would appreciate any advice or feedback

I'm getting the same thing, it's hard to wind down an infant with a toddler
winding them right back up again and get dinner on the table at the same
time. I figure time will mend, her nervous system will mature and she'll
get adjusted to her environment.

-Liz

WSJ: How to Give Your Child A Longer Life Jean B. General 0 December 9th 03 06:10 PM
Introducing foods Marie General 22 October 31st 03 08:08 PM
7/21 - Austin editorial - Changes in fatty foods a good recipe for a healthier America Maurice Kids Health 1 July 22nd 03 11:14 AM
Helping Your Child Be Healthy and Fit sX3#;WA@'U John Smith Kids Health 0 July 20th 03 04:50 AM