Hi , to the hole group......(just to note)

Old November 2nd 07, 02:08 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby

Default Hi , to the hole group......(just to note)

Greegor wrote:
enigma wrote

hey! spew warnings next time, ok?
is it not true the the Fruitcake is eternal though?
lee

Abu the Hindu convenience grocer
on the Simpsons is quoted as saying
"You cannot hurt a Twinkie!".

http://www.twinkiesproject.com/

clisby

The pictures of the Flying Spaghetti Monster are scary!

Old November 3rd 07, 12:31 PM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

In article , Banty
wrote:

Also in the Ewwwwww! department... you're supposed to *chill* it and have it
with *ice-cream*? Now that's just Wrong.

..comes the ex-Cathedra announcement from the Land of Vegemite!

:-P

You don't chill fruit cake any more than you chill red wine! But I don't
suppose the Southern Baptists would know that...

Some people here make a Christmas pudding called a Nesselrode pudding -- it's
a tub of ice cream with the fruit and nuts you'd normally find in a Christmas
cake/pudding mixed in. I don't think it works terribly well.

PS. I detest Vegemite. I put it down to the Ukrainian genes. And possibly
to my Mum's use of Vegemite as a cure for mouth ulcers shudder

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/
Old November 3rd 07, 12:45 PM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

In article ,
Rosalie B. wrote:

They are Southern Baptist fruitcakes.

I honestly can't decide if you are joking!

She's joking. Southern Baptists have the reputation of being
anti-alcohol. Although when I was going to church, our communion wine
was really grape juice and my sister (who had her wedding reception at
the church) couldn't serve any alcohol. And we weren't Baptist and
were only marginally southern.

Methodists aren't very keen on grog either. The Salvos and Seventh Day
Adventists are also teetotal.

Also in the Ewwwwww! department... you're supposed to *chill* it and have it
with *ice-cream*? Now that's just Wrong.

I've never had fruit cake with ice cream, but we do keep it in the
fridge.

Possibly the definition of fruitcake is different in the US?? (like
lemonade is different when you order it in the UK)

Perhaps it is -- our annual agricultural show has a baking competition with a
section for "American Fruit Cakes". They appear to be composed of extremely
large pieces of preserved fruit and brazil nuts, apparently held together with
PVA glue. Is that what your fruit cakes are really like?

What I think of as a rich fruit cake can be seen on this page on a cake rack:
http://www.need-a-cake.co.uk/our_cakes.htm

This style is traditionally used for both wedding cakes and Christmas cakes in
Australia. My family decorate the Chrissy cake with whole almonds rather than
icing.

Old November 3rd 07, 01:02 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article ehrebeniuk-B4C40B.23313103112007@news, Chookie says...

In article , Banty
wrote:

Also in the Ewwwwww! department... you're supposed to *chill* it and have it
with *ice-cream*? Now that's just Wrong.

..comes the ex-Cathedra announcement from the Land of Vegemite!

:-P

tee hee.

You don't chill fruit cake any more than you chill red wine! But I don't
suppose the Southern Baptists would know that...

Hey not *me* - I was only *raised* in Baptist country. Y'know, where I knew
where the county line was, by the bunch of bars suddenly appearing in the middle
of the range.

It's like chocolate bars. I can't stand to have them refrigerated; other people
not only do that, but think everyone else does that it's so common.

Some people here make a Christmas pudding called a Nesselrode pudding -- it's
a tub of ice cream with the fruit and nuts you'd normally find in a Christmas
cake/pudding mixed in. I don't think it works terribly well.

Actually, I detest even Slurpees (syrup-over-ice concoction sold by a
convenience store chain) and even frozen Margheritas (shaken until there is a
froth, not even blended, for me!) So I'm with ya on the fruitcake thing.

PS. I detest Vegemite. I put it down to the Ukrainian genes. And possibly
to my Mum's use of Vegemite as a cure for mouth ulcers shudder

You detest Vegemite 'cause you're not brainwashed...

Banty ("shaken, not stirred....")

Old November 3rd 07, 01:04 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article ehrebeniuk-E6A1C7.23455003112007@news, Chookie says...

In article ,
Rosalie B. wrote:

[...]

But it's rich, rum-soaked (or brandy-soaked) PVA glue!!

Banty (loves fruitcake..)

Old November 3rd 07, 01:44 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Chookie wrote:

In article ,
Rosalie B. wrote:

They are Southern Baptist fruitcakes.

I honestly can't decide if you are joking!

She's joking. Southern Baptists have the reputation of being
anti-alcohol. Although when I was going to church, our communion wine
was really grape juice and my sister (who had her wedding reception at
the church) couldn't serve any alcohol. And we weren't Baptist and
were only marginally southern.

Methodists aren't very keen on grog either. The Salvos and Seventh Day
Adventists are also teetotal.

We were Presbyterian although I don't think teetotal was quite as
rampant as in some other denominations.

Also in the Ewwwwww! department... you're supposed to *chill* it and have it
with *ice-cream*? Now that's just Wrong.

I've never had fruit cake with ice cream, but we do keep it in the
fridge.

Possibly the definition of fruitcake is different in the US?? (like
lemonade is different when you order it in the UK)

Perhaps it is -- our annual agricultural show has a baking competition with a
section for "American Fruit Cakes". They appear to be composed of extremely
large pieces of preserved fruit and brazil nuts, apparently held together with
PVA glue. Is that what your fruit cakes are really like?

Except for the glue g, yes that's what they are like. They keep for
years in the refrigerator. AFAIK they are NEVER iced.

What I think of as a rich fruit cake can be seen on this page on a cake rack:
http://www.need-a-cake.co.uk/our_cakes.htm

This style is traditionally used for both wedding cakes and Christmas cakes in
Australia. My family decorate the Chrissy cake with whole almonds rather than
icing.

I always wondered why wedding cakes were 'fruit cakes' because the
only kind I knew about were these http://www.claxtonfruitcake.com/
where there is hardly any cake involved and it wouldn't make a good
wedding cake. IMHO.

Old November 4th 07, 07:35 AM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

In article , Banty
wrote:

PS. I detest Vegemite. I put it down to the Ukrainian genes. And possibly
to my Mum's use of Vegemite as a cure for mouth ulcers shudder

You detest Vegemite 'cause you're not brainwashed...

I reckon it's nature, not nurture. I did eat it as a small child -- Mum's
Anglo-Aussie. Haven't touched it since primary school. Vegemite used to be
seen as a health food for kids -- it's made from brewer's yeast -- but the
salt content probably cancels out the benefits of the B-vitamins!

Old November 4th 07, 09:07 AM posted to misc.kids
Karen

enigma wrote:

is it not true the the Fruitcake is eternal though?

In my house it would be eternal and become ossified. Is there a market
for fruitcake relics yet?

Karen
Old November 20th 07, 04:19 AM posted to misc.kids
A.[_3_]

On Oct 30, 9:48 am, "deja.blues" wrote:
" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Oct 30, 12:20 pm, "
wrote:
On Oct 30, 12:00 pm, "deja.blues" wrote:

" wrote in message

roups.com...

if you want to save 10% to 50% on your groceries & every day items
and
Serves...or how about on your taxes...or help to eliminate
debt....www.atisuccess.com/creger

ATI is an MLM "financial services" scam. It's a shame to see people get
caught up in those sorts of things. They help no one but those further
up
the pyramid.

Also, this is a Usenet group, and advertising not appropriate here.

deja.blues Is a blow hard.. and if he, she, or it know anything about
it he , she, or it ware be on Board

deja.blues,,, I just contacted Verizon.... and they don't think
employees should be using there equipment this way...

I have Verizon equipment? Where?
I work for Verizon? Since when?

No, you work for an insurance underwriter.