Unsporty parents, and sporty children

Old September 30th 03, 12:42 PM
Chookie

Default Unsporty parents, and sporty children

In article ,
Wendy wrote:

One is workout tapes. [...] The mother can
use an aerobic step to keep it more intense.

puts on oldie's voice I did aerobics back in the '80s -- we had an American
exchange PE teacher from NYC who introduced it and I actually enjoyed that
part of PE -- but I have never heard of an aerobics step. "More intense" has
never been an aspiration of mine (though "looking like I'm keeping up" often
was!), but please tell me what it is. I actually *voluntarily* went to
aerobics classes at a local sailing club for a few years. There was this guy
there... Ahem! Anyone else remember doing neck rolls because nobody knew it
was a bad idea then?

/puts on oldie's voice

The other thing I do is use my children as weights in weightlifting. The
toddler climbs on my back and I squat while he giggles. I've also used
him as a weight in bench presses where I have to curl at the bottom of the
movement to kiss him.

Do some shoulder presses of the kid over your head (make airplane
sounds) and you've got a pretty decent overall workout with cardio,
squats, benches and shoulders.

I think I would probably have to get someone to teach me how to do these
things. I can guess at what a squat is, but suspect you could probably do
damage if you didn't do the other things correctly. I've heard of bench
presses -- aren't they push-ups?

I'll consider the local gym classes, if they have child care. Some of my
friends have memberships.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old September 30th 03, 03:41 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
Chookie wrote:

In article ,
Wendy wrote:

One is workout tapes. [...] The mother can
use an aerobic step to keep it more intense.

puts on oldie's voice I did aerobics back in the '80s -- we had an
American
exchange PE teacher from NYC who introduced it and I actually enjoyed that
part of PE -- but I have never heard of an aerobics step.

I usually hear it called "step aerobics"; it's just a basic aerobics
workout, with one step (can be varying heights -- taller for a harder
workout, lower for less strenuous) that you climb on and off at various
points in the workout.

meh