little house on the priarie ( bottle feeding)

Old January 22nd 04, 10:17 AM
Jacqui

Default little house on the priarie ( bottle feeding)

Circe wibbled
H Schinske wrote:
Mary S. wrote:
And IRL I believe she was never able to
have another living baby after that.

I don't know if she conceived again later or not. I always
suspected that Almanzo was sterile after his severe illness
(prolonged high fever can do that).

Was that when they all had diptheria, or another time? My memory
is foggy.

She was in her first trimester with her son when they were all ill.

Jac
Old January 22nd 04, 03:03 PM
Liz S. Reynolds

In article , Nikki wrote:
ted wrote:
When I was on maternity leave I used to watch lot of TV. I noticed
that in one of the episodes Ma Ingalls has a son after the three
girls. The baby was shown being fed by a bottle. It was an infant and
he dies soon after due to some fever or something. I thought the
storyline is set around the time of Civilwar or earlier.

The Civil War was 1861-1865. IRL that baby was born in Nov. of 1875 and
died at 9mos. The only reason given is that he started to lose weight and
could not be saved despite the doctor's efforts. I have no idea how the TV
show handled it though.

The TV show made up all kinds of stuff and changed other stuff. It's good,
but I wouldn't rely on it for accuracy, only the books.

I can't wait until my kids are old enough for me to read them the book
series. My second grade teacher read it to us and at the end of the year we
went to DeSmet. I was lovin' it :-)

I didn't read them till I was an adult, by my kids will get them read to
them

-Liz
Old January 22nd 04, 03:14 PM
Nikki

Circe wrote:

I was a *huge* fan of the books as a child, and I remember quite
clearly visiting Mansfield and getting my very own sunbonnet. I never
much liked the TV series, however. It strayed too far from the books.

It is really cool to get to see the real deal. I like seeing the real life
pictures of the people too. TV makes everyone impossible cute and
everything impossible perfect. When you see the real deal it really sinks
in how hard life was etc. I should go back to DeSmet as an adult. I'm a
hop, skip, and a jump away :-)

Julian is 6 right? Ohhh, that means only two more years for Hunter, lol.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old January 22nd 04, 04:24 PM
Circe

Clisby wrote:
Mary S. wrote:
Nikki wrote:
I can't wait until my kids are old enough for me to read them the
book series. My second grade teacher read it to us and at the end
of the year we
went to DeSmet. I was lovin' it :-)

Me too; those and the Anne of Green Gables books (and others by the
same author) I can't *wait* for Sproutkin to be old enough for!

Oh, yeah, my daughter loves the Little House series, and I'm sure
she'd like the Anne books, too. When my niece and nephew were about
8 and 10, my sister and BIL took them to Prince Edward Island so they
could see where Anne of Green Gables took place.

I'll also put in a plug for the Little Colonel series, which my mother
introduced to me in childhood. I think they're not as well-known as Little
House or Anne of Green Gables, although there is a Shirley Temple movie
based on the first Little Colonel book that a lot of folks have seen. (It's
has the famous scene where she tap-dances on the stairs with the black
butler, Bill Robinson; Lionel Barrymore plays the crusty grandfather.) I'm
not particularly fond of the movie, but I enjoyed the books, though they
might be best saved for older children who can discuss the politics of the
time (the Reconstruction South, the treatment of African-Americans at that
time and at the turn of the century when the books were written, etc.).
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [22 mos.] mom)

"Call anywhere, any time...virtually from any phone" -- prepaid phone card
dispenser

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old January 22nd 04, 04:28 PM
Circe

Nikki wrote:
Julian is 6 right? Ohhh, that means only two more years for Hunter,
lol.

Yes, he's 6.5. They've been reading chapter books for over a year now,
though.

FWIW, however, I'll warn you that many of Julian's friend's parents have
told me there is no *way* their sons will sit still to listen to *any* book
that stars a girl as the main character. Funnily enough, almost *everything*
my husband has read to Julian thus far have had female main characters: _The
Wizard of Oz_, _Alice in Wonderland_, _Little House in the Big Woods_. The
only one that doesn't have a female lead is _The Marvelous Land of Oz_, and
Tip gets changed into Ozma at the end! Julian doesn't object at all or even
particularly seem to notice that the stars are all female, but I have been
told that many boys are sensitive to this.

Old January 22nd 04, 05:53 PM
Jacqui

Liz S. Reynolds wibbled
The TV show made up all kinds of stuff and changed other stuff.
It's good, but I wouldn't rely on it for accuracy, only the books.

There's a good deal of omission and inaccuracy in the books too, you
know. Laura (with or without Rose's urging - *there's* a controversial
subject in the LIW world) expurgated the first-draft manuscripts -
missed out chunks of family history (eg Freddie, the real timeline for
the Indian Territory move), amalgamated some people into other
characters ("Nellie Oleson" is at least 2 girls), was nicer about some
people than they deserved g, omitted anything considered 'not nice'
(the original plan for the section of BTSOSL where she and Pa are
watching the railroad workers included Laura observing a worker
'****ing on the ground where he worked' and asking Pa what arrangements
the men had for other bodily functions... Rose persuaded her not to put
this in!). They're fiction with a strong autobiographical backing, not
autobiography.

Jac
Old January 22nd 04, 06:13 PM
Nikki

Circe wrote:
Nikki wrote:
Julian is 6 right? Ohhh, that means only two more years for Hunter,
lol.

Yes, he's 6.5. They've been reading chapter books for over a year now,
though.

FWIW, however, I'll warn you that many of Julian's friend's parents
have told me there is no *way* their sons will sit still to listen to
*any* book that stars a girl as the main character.

No kidding? I don't think Hunter will have a problem with that. He might
not like chapter books yet at that age? It would probably be good for him
though...practice at following a verbal story, without looking at pictures.
I didn't have a lot of the classics read to me as a child for some reason.
I was read to but only those little golden books and stuff sent from school
I suppose. Probably my mom didn't have them read to her and didn't even
really know they existed. I read once I was older and could read to
myself...but mostly just trashy stuff, lol. Anyway, I'm looking forward to
sharing those things with my kids.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old January 22nd 04, 06:27 PM
Circe

Nikki wrote:
Circe wrote:
Nikki wrote:
Julian is 6 right? Ohhh, that means only two more years for Hunter,
lol.

Yes, he's 6.5. They've been reading chapter books for over a year
now, though.

FWIW, however, I'll warn you that many of Julian's friend's parents
have told me there is no *way* their sons will sit still to listen to
*any* book that stars a girl as the main character.

No kidding? I don't think Hunter will have a problem with that. He
might not like chapter books yet at that age? It would probably be
good for him though...practice at following a verbal story, without
looking at pictures.

I seem to recall that we started reading the original A.A. Milne Winnie the
Pooh books (no Disney-ized versions, thanks!) aloud to Julian when he was
about 4.5; certainly, it was before he turned 5. Hunter may be ready for
something like that sooner than you think. Aurora was only 2.5-3yo when the
chapter books started and, as I said, she still tends to fall asleep before
they finish a chapter, but she's certainly sitting still for it and seems to
enjoy it, although I'm sure she doesn't follow it to the same extent Julian
does.

I think Winnie the Pooh and Little House are actually better to start with
than something like _The Wizard of Oz_ because the chapters are little
stories in themselves--there's no requirement to remember what happened in
the last chapter to enjoy and follow what's happening in *this* one.

You might give it a shot now and see what happens. Worst thing is that he
doesn't enjoy it and you set it aside for a few more months.

Old January 22nd 04, 06:40 PM
Katie Jaques

"Mary S." wrote in message ...
Nikki wrote:
The Civil War was 1861-1865. IRL that baby was born in Nov. of 1875 and
died at 9mos. The only reason given is that he started to lose weight and
could not be saved despite the doctor's efforts. I have no idea how the TV
show handled it though.

I can't wait until my kids are old enough for me to read them the book
series. My second grade teacher read it to us and at the end of the year we
went to DeSmet. I was lovin' it :-)

Me too; those and the Anne of Green Gables books (and others by the same
author) I can't *wait* for Sproutkin to be old enough for!

My favorite L.M. Montgomery heroine is not Anne, but Emily of New Moon.

Katie in San Diego

Mom to Barbara (Circe), Grandma to Julian, Aurora & Vernon
Old January 22nd 04, 06:42 PM
Nikki

Circe wrote:

I seem to recall that we started reading the original A.A. Milne
Winnie the Pooh books (no Disney-ized versions, thanks!) aloud to
Julian when he was about 4.5; certainly, it was before he turned 5.

It would be a nice addition to our night time routine. Also, I'm anxious to
get to a point where I sit in a chair, and they lay in bed. With the
picture books we read now, they fight over who holds it etc. etc. Luke
actually likes similar books to Hunter. I think because he's more verbal.
I can NOT imagine him falling asleep to one though :-) Takes the kid
forever to fall asleep!

I think Winnie the Pooh and Little House are actually better to start
with than something like _The Wizard of Oz_ because the chapters are
little stories in themselves--there's no requirement to remember what
happened in the last chapter to enjoy and follow what's happening in
*this* one.

That is a good point. Oddly enough Hunter is afraid of _The Wizard of Oz_.
He wouldn't watch the movie, Luke loved it. I find it odd because the kid
watches all kinds of scary things and isn't bothered by it....that is the
only thing he hasn't liked.

You might give it a shot now and see what happens. Worst thing is
that he doesn't enjoy it and you set it aside for a few more months.

I think I might!!

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)