how much is ok

Old January 24th 04, 03:05 PM
Lori

Default how much is ok

DH and I are going to a winter party next weekend this is the first time I
will be leaving Elizabeth during the evening I am thinking that I will
want to have a drink or 2 but im wondering how much is too much alcohol
while BF. I have not had a drink in so long and I would like to relax a bit
without feeling guilty. Im just not sure if one drink is too much or if I
should just have a half. I keep reading conflicting info. One thing I saw
said something like 4 drinks is ok. That just seems like a lot. I don't
want to have to pump and dump the next day. Its not like I have to have a
drink (im not a lush or anything) but it would be nice to have an a bit of
fun

Lori

Old January 24th 04, 04:00 PM
Dawn Lawson

Lori wrote:
DH and I are going to a winter party next weekend this is the first time I
will be leaving Elizabeth during the evening I am thinking that I will
want to have a drink or 2 but im wondering how much is too much alcohol
while BF. I have not had a drink in so long and I would like to relax a bit
without feeling guilty. Im just not sure if one drink is too much or if I
should just have a half. I keep reading conflicting info. One thing I saw
said something like 4 drinks is ok. That just seems like a lot. I don't
want to have to pump and dump the next day. Its not like I have to have a
drink (im not a lush or anything) but it would be nice to have an a bit of
fun

Go, drink, be guiltless, don't pump and dump.
this has been discussed a lot lately here.
Even 4 drinks, spread over a couple of hours, would have practically no
impact on the alcohol level in your BM. If you were legally too drunk
to drive, your baby would be getting less than 0.1% alcohol in your
breastmilk, even if the baby were latched on while you were drinking. ;-)

Dawn

Old January 24th 04, 05:13 PM
Cheryl S.

"Lori" wrote in message
DH and I are going to a winter party next weekend this
is the first time I will be leaving Elizabeth during the evening
I am thinking that I will want to have a drink or 2 but im
wondering how much is too much alcohol while BF. I have
not had a drink in so long and I would like to relax a bit
without feeling guilty. Im just not sure if one drink is too much
or if I should just have a half. I keep reading conflicting info.
One thing I saw said something like 4 drinks is ok. That just
seems like a lot. I don't want to have to pump and dump the
next day. Its not like I have to have a drink (im not a lush or
anything) but it would be nice to have an a bit of fun

Don't worry about it. Have as much as you feel comfortable with - one
or two in a whole evening is no problem. It will be out of your system
by morning. There is certainly no need to pump and dump. You may find
that the alcohol affects you more quickly than it used to. The one time
I had a glass of wine since having #1 (when she was 4 months old) I
coudln't even finish it, I was feeling tipsy after only half the glass!
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 9 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old January 24th 04, 09:24 PM
teapot

Lori wrote:
[...]

My baby often is latched on while I'm drinking as we have demijohns of
elderberry wine to get through :-) I wouldn't be drunk with the baby
though, especially as we co sleep and I might roll over onto him and
do my back in. Seriously I wouldn't be drunk with him in case
anything happened that needed me to have a clear head, if he choked,
or stopped breathing or banged his head or something I would want to
be very sober indeed. The odd glass of wine doesnt hurt though.

OT I know but I used to work for a company that had very strict no
alcohol rules, they had random spot testing for it and it was instant
dismissal if you were caught. Thing is, the level they said was too
high was the same as if you had a glass of apple juice, so we couldnt
drink juice either.

teapot
Old January 24th 04, 10:38 PM
CY

Oh that is an interesting observation. I experience the same thing - I
thought it was just me. I used to be able to polish off an entire bottle
all by myself before becoming pregnant, and not even feel the effects. Now
I can barely drink half a glass or a half a beer without feeling tipsy!!!

Old January 24th 04, 11:23 PM
Tine Andersen

"CY" skrev i en meddelelse
Oh that is an interesting observation. I experience the same thing - I
thought it was just me. I used to be able to polish off an entire bottle
all by myself before becoming pregnant, and not even feel the effects.

Now
I can barely drink half a glass or a half a beer without feeling tipsy!!!

I think it has to do with habit. I used to drink very little (still do), but
after a two-week skiing vacation with after skiing every day I could consume
much more without disastrous effects. AND I was much younger - 1.5 glass of
wine, and I start kissing my DH in public (he doesn't mind).

Tine, Denmark

Old January 25th 04, 01:02 AM
Em

"Lori" wrote in message
DH and I are going to a winter party next weekend this is the first time I
will be leaving Elizabeth during the evening I am thinking that I will
want to have a drink or 2 but im wondering how much is too much alcohol
while BF. I have not had a drink in so long and I would like to relax a

bit
without feeling guilty. Im just not sure if one drink is too much or if I
should just have a half. I keep reading conflicting info. One thing I

saw
said something like 4 drinks is ok. That just seems like a lot. I don't
want to have to pump and dump the next day. Its not like I have to have a
drink (im not a lush or anything) but it would be nice to have an a bit of
fun

My personal guideline is to have one small drink during occasions where
drinks are offered. I also only have a drink before 6:00 in the evening,
because of co-sleeping. I just ask for a small glass--but a full small
glass. I have had blackberry wine a few times since he's been born and a few
fuzzy navels (on different occasions). I enjoy feeling "grown up" again
(didn't drink any alcohol of any kind while pregnant).

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 4 months old

Old January 26th 04, 10:59 AM
Linz

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 00:23:10 +0100, "Tine Andersen"
wrote:

"CY" skrev i en meddelelse
Oh that is an interesting observation. I experience the same thing - I
thought it was just me. I used to be able to polish off an entire bottle
all by myself before becoming pregnant, and not even feel the effects.

Now
I can barely drink half a glass or a half a beer without feeling tipsy!!!

I think it has to do with habit. I used to drink very little (still do), but
after a two-week skiing vacation with after skiing every day I could consume
much more without disastrous effects. AND I was much younger - 1.5 glass of
wine, and I start kissing my DH in public (he doesn't mind).

Hey, I don't even need wine to kiss Bloke in public.
A couple of beers and I start kissing other chaps...
--
Linz
YB: 12 weeks, 14lbs 14oz
Old January 26th 04, 11:04 AM
Linz

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 07:05:17 -0800, "Lori" wrote:

DH and I are going to a winter party next weekend this is the first time I
will be leaving Elizabeth during the evening I am thinking that I will
want to have a drink or 2 but im wondering how much is too much alcohol
while BF. I have not had a drink in so long and I would like to relax a bit
without feeling guilty. Im just not sure if one drink is too much or if I
should just have a half. I keep reading conflicting info. One thing I saw
said something like 4 drinks is ok. That just seems like a lot. I don't
want to have to pump and dump the next day. Its not like I have to have a
drink (im not a lush or anything) but it would be nice to have an a bit of
fun

I am under the impression that the liver can metabolise roughly one
unit of alcohol (half a pint of most beers, a glass of wine, a measure
of spirits) in roughly an hour, so I wouldn't worry about having a
drink or two if I were not going to be feeding for an hour or two. To
be honest, though, I have a glass of wine or a beer every couple of
nights and YoungBloke sometimes wants a feed while I'm drinking and it
seems to have no effect on him at all.

I think that occasional, moderate drinking, which is what you're
suggesting, is fine. I have recently started expressing for a milk
bank and all they asked was whether I drink more than 8 units a week.
They had no problem with me having a glass of wine in the evening
although they did suggest I pump prior to rather than after drinking.
This is no trouble - I pump in the morning and am highly unlikely to
have a glass of wine for breakfast!
--
Linz
YB: 12 weeks, 14lbs 14oz