Problem with limited flu vaccines

Old October 13th 04, 06:23 AM
rerics

Default Problem with limited flu vaccines

My wife and I are very concerned about the limited flu vaccine
availability. We have 3 kids, 2 of which are 8-month-old twins in
day-care, so they clearly fall into one of the high-risk categories
set by the CDC as a category that should get the shots. However, our
medical group is one of the ones that apparently has to ration the
shots. Our pediatrician claims to have even less vaccines than the
usual low amount, and so she says even our high-risk twins are not
able to get the shots. We are going to play the "squeaky wheel" and
continue to pursue this with her, but I don't know what the ultimate
result is going to be.

This is extremely discouraging, all the more reason because there
doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which medical
groups/organizations have plenty of shots and which ones have hardly
any. We have a lot of friends who have been able to go in to their
doctors, get shots for themselves and their kids, like they were
practically giving it away. And we're left out in the cold. The ironic
thing is that my wife, my older son and myself, all 3 of us low-risk,
are able to get the vaccine at my wife's place of work, but the babies
won't be able to get vaccinated (my wife's place of work won't have
the smaller dose-packs for infants).

Does anyone have any advice on how we can get our babies vaccinated?
We can't change medical groups at this time, so it's a cruel twist of
luck that the group we're with has such a low supply. Additionally, we
live in the SF Bay Area if any of you know of any solutions in that
region.

Thanks in advance,

Rerics
Old October 13th 04, 02:05 PM
Mark Probert

"rerics" wrote in message
m...
[...]

You could try to contact the state, county or city health departments. Of
course, the day care provider should tak eextra precautions, and you should
educate them. Get info from the health departments.

And, watch out for anti-vac liars.

Old October 13th 04, 05:22 PM
john

flu jab is a dangerous scam, the CDC are pharma shills. I don't use them on
my kids

http://www.whale.to/vaccines/flu.html

m...

Old October 13th 04, 08:25 PM
Research

rerics wrote in message
m...
[...]

You need a good immune system not harmful flu shots

Old October 14th 04, 03:55 AM
Jeff

"Research" wrote in message

You need a good immune system not harmful flu shots

And the flu shot makes your immune system stronger.

Jeff

Old October 14th 04, 04:29 PM
Mark

(rerics) wrote in message om...
[...]

If your children have any chronic medical conditions (asthma,
diabetes, heart disease, etc.) they automatically rise to the highest
tier and should be at the head of the line for flu vaccine.

The second tier, in my practice at least, are the otherwise healthy
kids between 6 and 23 months.

Third tier are the healthy kids older than 24 months.

We are probably going to run out of our supply of vaccine before we
get through the second tier. My advice on how to get a vaccine for
your kids is to haunt the WalMart/KMart flu shot offerings. If
they'll sell it to you, buy it.

Your pediatrician is correct to withhold the vaccine from your kids if
your kids don't have any of the high-risk conditions I mentioned
above. (And being a twin doesn't automatically qualify a child as
being "high risk".) Her responsibility is to make sure that the very
sickest or those who are at the absolutely highest risk are vaccinated
first, and then move on down the line.

It sucks when someone says you're not sick enough, but the rationing
scheme outlined above seems to be the fairest way to distribute the
vaccine when the supplies are so short.

Mark, MD

P.S. I'm going to get the intranasal live virus flu vaccine. That
way, when I get the expected runny nose, I'll just wipe some of my
snot on each of my kids' noses and give them a second-generation
vaccine for free!