TV choices and tweens

Old June 11th 04, 04:08 PM
beeswing

Default TV choices and tweens

Kathi wrote:

What age was your oldest girl when she took over making her own TV choices?

14-15 or so, I figured by the time she got into high school, she was old
enough! It's funny, now she monitors things her younger siblings
watch----occasionally telling me a show that i've already approved is not
appropriate!

Thanks for the datapoint! I like that your daughter internalized the
appropriateness of shows enough to relay the information to her siblings. We
have an only child here, but the principle remains the same.

beeswing

Old June 11th 04, 09:36 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
dragonlady wrote:

Books are in a different category all together: if they could pick it
up and read it, and seemed to be enjoying it, they were welcome to it.
I never put any restrictions on their reading. That was my parent's
approach, and it seemed to work well.

I've never restricted books, but I do warn them about things that
they may find upsetting, confusing, etc. My oldest was for quite
some time very sensitive about unhappy endings, for example. Even
now, he will be upset if he felt an unhappy ending was unnecessary
or inappropriate to the rest of the plot. I do often read books
before they do, if I have the chance, to see if there is anything
I ought to warn them about.

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)