Birthday Party Invitations - Lunch?

Old August 26th 05, 04:17 PM
Crystal Dreamer

Default Birthday Party Invitations - Lunch?

A friend is having a birthday party for her 1 year old twins, at 1pm.
Should a person assume that lunch will be served?

--
-Lisa
Baby Girl due September 2005

Old August 26th 05, 04:26 PM
MsLiz

When my children were small, I traveled as if no food would be in
sight. Whether it was a trip to a friend's house, an airline, a
restuarant or a BBQ...I was prepared with foods that my kids ate
(granted, we were vegan so many places couldn't accomodate us). But it
became a habit and I still often throw bottles of water, cliff bars and
some other snacks in my purse as we run out the door to go anywhere.

I also always liked to feed my kids before parties hoping that they'd
eat less junk once we got there :-)

Old August 26th 05, 04:28 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Crystal Dreamer wrote:
A friend is having a birthday party for her 1 year old twins, at 1pm.
Should a person assume that lunch will be served?

No. It's possible she'll serve lunch, but I wouldn't count on
it. If lunch is to be served, it *should* be mentioned on the invitation,
though some folks neglect to do that.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old August 26th 05, 04:49 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Crystal Dreamer" wrote:

A friend is having a birthday party for her 1 year old twins, at 1pm.
Should a person assume that lunch will be served?

If it were me, I'd ask.

Old August 26th 05, 05:24 PM
bizby40

"dragonlady" wrote in message
In article ,
"Crystal Dreamer" wrote:

A friend is having a birthday party for her 1 year old twins, at 1pm.
Should a person assume that lunch will be served?

If it were me, I'd ask.

It doesn't hurt to ask. I would assume though, that she made
the party after the lunch hour on purpose.

Bizby

Old August 26th 05, 05:29 PM
Stephanie

"Crystal Dreamer" wrote:

A friend is having a birthday party for her 1 year old twins, at 1pm.
Should a person assume that lunch will be served?

If it were me, I'd ask.

Oh Oh! But then you are putting the hostess in the position of having to
answer, which might embarass her. Or soemthing.

Old August 26th 05, 06:03 PM
Ericka Kammerer

"Crystal Dreamer" wrote:

A friend is having a birthday party for her 1 year old twins, at 1pm.
Should a person assume that lunch will be served?

If it were me, I'd ask.

Oh Oh! But then you are putting the hostess in the position of having to
answer, which might embarass her. Or soemthing.

Nah, you just have to ask carefully. You can casually mention during
your next conversation something like if you're a couple minutes late, it's
just because the traffic was beastly getting there after your lunch date,
or whatever would be plausible in your situation. If she's planning on
serving lunch, she'll jump all over that to tell you that she'll be serving
lunch. Really, though, odds are it's at 1pm precisely *because* she's
trying to avoid serving lunch.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old August 26th 05, 06:03 PM
KR

I would guess no, but we eat lunch at 11:30 so I would certainly give
my child lunch.

When we go to birthday parties there are always chicken nuggets and
fries, even if it's from 2-4. Usually the food isn't served until at
least an hour into the party so in your case I would definately have
lunch at home.

KR

Old August 26th 05, 07:59 PM
dragonlady

"Crystal Dreamer" wrote:

A friend is having a birthday party for her 1 year old twins, at 1pm.
Should a person assume that lunch will be served?

If it were me, I'd ask.

Oh Oh! But then you are putting the hostess in the position of having to
answer, which might embarass her. Or soemthing.

Nah, you just have to ask carefully. You can casually mention during
your next conversation something like if you're a couple minutes late, it's
just because the traffic was beastly getting there after your lunch date,
or whatever would be plausible in your situation. If she's planning on
serving lunch, she'll jump all over that to tell you that she'll be serving
lunch. Really, though, odds are it's at 1pm precisely *because* she's
trying to avoid serving lunch.

Best wishes,
Ericka

That's what I was thinking -- but if I'm trying to avoid serving a meal,
I usually try to make it a 2:00 or 3:00 party, just to try to be very
clear! I might even put somthing like, "we'll be serving cake and
punch" on the invitations, so it's clear there won't be a full meal!

However, not everyone thinks about these things.

So, since you have to call to RSVP anyway (we do all do that, don't we?)
I feel pretty comfortable asking, "Should we eat before we come, or will
you be serving lunch?" (Unless you're in Minnesota, in which case you
ask what you can bring for lunch; see, "How to Talk Minnesotan".)

If someone is so touchy they're embarrassed by that -- well, too bad!
It's a legitimate question, and asked properly shouldn't be an
embarrassment.

Old August 26th 05, 08:23 PM
Nan

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:17:46 -0500, "Crystal Dreamer"
wrote:

A friend is having a birthday party for her 1 year old twins, at 1pm.
Should a person assume that lunch will be served?

Not IME. But as the others have pointed out, you can ask her to
clarify.

Nan