WV Story Over $750 Million Owed in Child Support

Old January 26th 07, 12:49 PM posted to alt.child-support
John Meyer

Default WV Story Over $750 Million Owed in Child Support

And if any of you think the last line is a stretch, I've had one
candidate for sainthood of a cp suggest that there was always a silver
lining in that, in that the death of a non custodial parent means the cp
can collect on child support.

http://www.wowktv.com/story.cfm?func...&storyid=19138

A couple of comments about your story.

First off, have you explored the possibility that maybe, just maybe,
some of that child support hasn't been paid because the non custodial
parent can't afford to pay it in the first place? I know that's a
radical notion, but it has happened and it will continue to happen as
long as judges have the power to set imputed child support (or child
support based on a number the judges have made up as opposed to what the
parent is actually earning) and retroactive child support, sometimes all
the way back to the birth of the child.
Have you ever considered that some parents out there are out of work
because of layoffs or injuries, and that those child support amounts
keep climbing and climbing and climbing?
Well, if you had, than your assembly certainly has not. Now they're
talking about raiding INSURANCE payouts. Insurance; paying to replace
what was broken, not to give somebody the good life. But I guess non
custodial parents can live in houses not fit for man or beast (after
all, they are ncps) or can drive cars not road safe (who cares if one of
them gets in an accident). What's the worst that can happen, they die?
Then the cp's get to collect on their life insurance and we'll toss
them into a pauper's grave.

Analysis and more at the NCP Revue http://pueblonative.wordpress.com
Old January 26th 07, 06:15 PM posted to alt.child-support
DB

"John Meyer" wrote in

First off, have you explored the possibility that maybe, just maybe,
some of that child support hasn't been paid because the non custodial
parent can't afford to pay it in the first place?

Even at the best of times, few can afford the extortionate child support
rates?

It's only bumbling fools that would think the war in Iraq will fix tghe mid
east problems, same mentalty concerning family wars. Hey Mr. big
government, see if you can do your real job and fix all the roads first
before you think you can fix anything esle!

Old January 26th 07, 09:36 PM posted to alt.child-support
[email protected]

Stealing insurance payouts is nothing new. PA's recent amendments to
their statutes lets them take from just about any payout a NCP might
receive, including a workers comp settlement. The NCP (or their lawyer)
has to provide the insurer with an official statement from the CS
agency showing there are no arrears owed before the insurer can release
the money to them. If there are arrears the money is taken for that,
just like an auto-intercept of tax refunds. I'm not clear on the
liability the insurer has if they issue a payout without demanding the
cs info first, but I'm sure there's a big penalty for them if they
don't, just like the onus put upon employers to hold & submit payments
for their employees.

Old January 27th 07, 10:00 PM posted to alt.child-support
John Meyer

By the way, I think this and other stories should be a reminder why we
should keep reminding the fiscal conservative-libertarian crown of the
Laffer curve, which I think applies to child support. Both macro- and
microwise, I think the imposition of a large unrealistic child support
amount leads many non custodial parents not to attempt paying anything
at all. When you are in the red you are in the red, and the higher and
higher that amount goes the more a person is likely to say, "aw screw
it" and focus more on keeping alive and keeping the government from
garnishing them to oblivion.
Old January 27th 07, 10:08 PM posted to alt.child-support
DB

"John Meyer" wrote in

at all. When you are in the red you are in the red, and the higher and
higher that amount goes the more a person is likely to say, "aw screw
it" and focus more on keeping alive and keeping the government from

garnishing them to oblivion.

Yea, once you crossed that line, $50,000 might as well be $5,000,000
My fight is over, I could care less what they do with me now!