eyelash

Old July 22nd 08, 05:26 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

Default eyelash

My 4yo daughter has very shortened eyelashes. My MIL first noticed it. My
MIL and FIL then proceeded to question (maybe grill?) her about it. She told
them a bunch of stuff, none of it sounds terribly real. MIL and FIL are
convinced that they were cut. (That is scary to me that someone might have
cut her eyelashes. But it is hard for me to imagine who would have the
opportinuty to do such a thing.) I wonder if she pulled them out? She has
her fingers on her eyes all the time, kinda like a tick. She does pinch
them.

She tells me that she has no recollection of anyone cutting her eyelashes. I
wonder if the in-laws questions were so leading as to give her things to say
to placate them.

Worry? Not worry? My Mom is in the don't worry camp. But if anyone has put
scissors near her eyes, well that alarms the snot out of me.

Stephanie

Old July 22nd 08, 05:51 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Stephanie" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You should be able to tell if they were cut, I'd have thought. A non-cut
eyelash gets thinner towards the end.
It sounds unlikely to me that both sets of eyelashes were cut, if one side
is markedly shorter than the other then it would seem more likely. Is it
possible that her eyelashes just are short? Are they definitely shorter than
usual.
I remember going through a phase of pulling at my eylashes. I did it because
my eye was sore and I kept thinking I had an eyelash in it, and I did pull
quite a few out. It turned out I had a stye inside the eyelid.
Debbie

Old July 22nd 08, 05:56 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

Welches wrote:
"Stephanie" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

They are definitely shorter than usual on one side only. They make sort of a
crescent shape, long on the outside and short on the inside.

Old July 22nd 08, 05:58 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Stephanie" wrote in message
. ..
Welches wrote:
"Stephanie" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Have you asked her if she's pulled any out? That does sound like she might
have been pulling them out.
Debbie

Old July 22nd 08, 06:38 PM posted to misc.kids
Nan

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:56:38 -0400, "Stephanie"
wrote:

They are definitely shorter than usual on one side only. They make sort of a
crescent shape, long on the outside and short on the inside.

Cut hair has a blunt end. If the lashes are tapered at the end she
most likely pulled or rubbed them out while touching her eyes a lot
and they're growing back.

Nan
Old July 22nd 08, 06:56 PM posted to misc.kids
NL

Stephanie schrieb:

She tells me that she has no recollection of anyone cutting her eyelashes. I
wonder if the in-laws questions were so leading as to give her things to say
to placate them.

Worry? Not worry? My Mom is in the don't worry camp. But if anyone has put
scissors near her eyes, well that alarms the snot out of me.

Do you happen to have one of those eyelash curlers? I "cut" my eyelashes
with my moms when I was little (7?) I thought that's what it was used
for. I just pressed it together really hard and then kind of pulled or
something, I remember it hurt a lot so I didn't do the second eye... I
don't remember if my mom noticed or not but I'm sure I didn't tell her
the truth because I thought she'd be mad at me for taking her eyelash
curler.
I also cut off my fringe once, just in one place because I kind of
realized it was stupid and well, my mom wasn't too thrilled, and I might
have cut my eyelashes with a pair of small curved scissors. And please,
let's not forget painting my fingernails with "tipp-ex" (whiteout),
eating dry dog food, making "soup" with my greatgrandmothers laundry
soap in her (very very) old fashioned washing "machine" (I can't even
remember how it worked, it was just a big vat you poured water into and
I think it had a heater or something and she had a separate "spinner" or
something. It was ages ago and we didn't play there often (I wonder why
;-) )

So yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about it but maybe tell her that
scissors near the eyes is not good and that you can _really_ hurt
yourself and others with them.

cu
nicole
Old July 22nd 08, 10:12 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

NL wrote:

Stephanie schrieb:

She tells me that she has no recollection of anyone cutting her eyelashes. I
wonder if the in-laws questions were so leading as to give her things to say
to placate them.

Worry? Not worry? My Mom is in the don't worry camp. But if anyone has put
scissors near her eyes, well that alarms the snot out of me.

I would wonder exactly what was said because I think cutting someone's
eyelashes is unlikely unless she did it herself. That's a different
kind of worry for sure. What access does she have to scissors.

I did tend to get a lot of eyelashes in my eyes and they were hard to
get out, so I tended (and still do) to pull on my eyelashes so that
any that aren't securely anchored are pulled out before they can fall
out. Also, this time of year my eyes tend to itch and have a certain
amount of mucus in them which means that I want to rub them.

Do you happen to have one of those eyelash curlers? I "cut" my eyelashes
with my moms when I was little (7?) I thought that's what it was used
for. I just pressed it together really hard and then kind of pulled or
something, I remember it hurt a lot so I didn't do the second eye... I
don't remember if my mom noticed or not but I'm sure I didn't tell her
the truth because I thought she'd be mad at me for taking her eyelash
curler.
I also cut off my fringe once, just in one place because I kind of
realized it was stupid and well, my mom wasn't too thrilled, and I might
have cut my eyelashes with a pair of small curved scissors. And please,

I apparently got so many burrs in my sisters hair that my mom gave up
and cut them out. The other thing I did was cut an area about the
size of a 50 cent piece right in the front of my hair. I did this
with my grandmother's nail scissors. I had been put to bed in her
room with barrettes in my hair (I had waist length hair), and the
barrettes pulled at my cowlick which is right at my widow's peak. I
didn't think to take the barrettes out. I just cut the hair that was
pulling off right at the scalp. My mom had a fit.

let's not forget painting my fingernails with "tipp-ex" (whiteout),
eating dry dog food, making "soup" with my greatgrandmothers laundry
soap in her (very very) old fashioned washing "machine" (I can't even
remember how it worked, it was just a big vat you poured water into and
I think it had a heater or something and she had a separate "spinner" or
something. It was ages ago and we didn't play there often (I wonder why
;-) )

I ran my arm through the wringer of the washer at my aunt's house when
I was trying to 'help'. Fortunately it was set to do blankets.

Old July 23rd 08, 12:38 AM posted to misc.kids
Narelle

Stephanie wrote:
[...]

My dd cut her own eyelashes when she was around 4yo. Her reason was that
she "wanted to have pretty eyes like her dolls".
They grew back fine, and she never did it again.
Old July 23rd 08, 12:47 AM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

Narelle wrote:
Stephanie wrote:
[...]

The weird thing is that she genuinely does not seem to know what happened.

Old July 23rd 08, 12:51 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Stephanie wrote:
Narelle wrote:

My dd cut her own eyelashes when she was around 4yo. Her reason was
that she "wanted to have pretty eyes like her dolls".
They grew back fine, and she never did it again.

The weird thing is that she genuinely does not seem to know what happened.

I dunno. At 4yo, magical thinking still applies: if
I *want* not to have done it badly enough, I really didn't do it.
They can be utterly convincing and totally false all at the same
time ;-) After her grandparents made a fuss, she may have heartily
wished she hadn't done it and decided to go with that theory, even
if normally she wouldn't have lied about something like that.

Best wishes,
Ericka