Any parents with strollers had any problems with rude pedestrians?

Old March 18th 04, 10:35 AM
J Asking

Default Any parents with strollers had any problems with rude pedestrians?

Have any parents out there had any problems when walking their
strollers on a narrow footpath and oncoming pedestrians refuse to step
aside? Do you be determined and still walk forward?
Old March 18th 04, 11:18 AM
Donna

"J Asking" wrote in message
om...
Have any parents out there had any problems when walking their
strollers on a narrow footpath and oncoming pedestrians refuse to step
aside? Do you be determined and still walk forward?

What, and deliberately run into people??? Of course not. I say excuse me,
and apologize for hogging the entire path with my stroller.

Donna

Old March 18th 04, 11:37 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

J Asking wrote:

Have any parents out there had any problems when walking their
strollers on a narrow footpath and oncoming pedestrians refuse to step
aside? Do you be determined and still walk forward?

I find that lots of pedestrians simply don't clue in to *anything*.
(e.g. my dh was walking and reading one day, and he almost walked into
the sidewalk plow, which was sitting there waiting for him to finally
notice it) It's worse when they're in groups (i.e. groups of friends).
I have trouble just walking by myself. I'm not looking forward to
when I'm really big. ;-) However, because people are like this so
much, I'm quite used to it, and I'm quite used to dealing with it. If
I'm in the mood, I just bump into them. They never say anything
because, well, they also bumped into me since neither of us moved (and
of course, I don't say anything either). I suspect that I'll be very
much the same way with a stroller, except that it will hurt them way
more than it will either me or the baby. I figure that with the
stroller that we plan to get for the bike trails, I'll be more inclined
to be nice to people, since it will be easier for me to get it off the
path, but for the cheapo one we plan to get for sidewalks and shopping,
it will be impossible for me to go off the path, so everyone else will
have to move.

Old March 18th 04, 11:42 AM
Welches

J Asking wrote in message
om...
Have any parents out there had any problems when walking their
strollers on a narrow footpath and oncoming pedestrians refuse to step
aside?

Not since I fitted the sword on the front.
Debbie

Do you be determined and still walk forward?

Old March 18th 04, 11:55 AM
Anne Rogers

I've not had this, but on one shopping trip, twice the person going
through the shop door in front of me looked round, saw the stroller and
decided to let the door swing on to the front wheel! Thankfully ds was
rear facing in a 3 wheel stroller.

Old March 18th 04, 12:20 PM
Donna

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
J Asking wrote:

Have any parents out there had any problems when walking their
strollers on a narrow footpath and oncoming pedestrians refuse to step
aside? Do you be determined and still walk forward?

I suspect that I'll be very
much the same way with a stroller, except that it will hurt them way
more than it will either me or the baby.

I have to ask, Vicky, are you being facetious? Tone is so hard to read in a
post, sometimes.

I figure that with the
stroller that we plan to get for the bike trails, I'll be more inclined
to be nice to people, since it will be easier for me to get it off the
path, but for the cheapo one we plan to get for sidewalks and shopping,
it will be impossible for me to go off the path, so everyone else will
have to move.

Why is everyone assuming that the lady with the stroller has universal right
of way? Why would it be a big deal to either manoeuvre out of the way of
the pedestrians, or, in those cases where it's impossible, to smile
apologetically and say excuse me. Do you all *really* just go ahead and
bash into people? Whatever for?

Donna (possibly missing the joke)

Old March 18th 04, 05:08 PM
Nikki

J Asking wrote:
Have any parents out there had any problems when walking their
strollers on a narrow footpath and oncoming pedestrians refuse to step
aside? Do you be determined and still walk forward?

I think it would be hard to determine which party was rude ;-) I don't have
a stroller but I've used a wagon and sometime my kids are on bikes. Our
sidewalks (where we have them) aren't really that narrow but generally
*both* parties move over a little bit when walking or in the wagon or
stroller. When on bikes I try to get them to stop and wait until the other
person is past because they don't have that great of control. I have a rope
tied to Luke's bike so I always have him.

I can't really imagine two parties playing a game of chicken on the side
walk. Do you all just keep walking and run right into each other :-)
Reminds me of that Dr. Sues story where one character (can't remember what
they are called) is North going and the other South going and they meet on
their path. Neither will move so eventually a whole highway system gets
built around them, lol.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Debate on spanking Doan General 0 June 12th 04 08:30 PM
New Research: Negative effects of spanking Chris General 14 June 8th 04 07:01 AM