Double strollers again; need a rugged one!

Old October 2nd 03, 03:48 AM
Laurie

Default Double strollers again; need a rugged one!

Well we have decided to get a double stroller that makes me happy, since I
don't like the two I have now (long story if you don't already know it).
But since we're moving in a month and ended up buying a home in the
mountains, on a rugged dirt road, I've realized that I"m going to need
something pretty rugged. I won't be using it in places like the mall very
often, so I'm thinking maybe I *would* be better off with a side by side
jogger or something like that (was dead set on a tandem before). I don't
want to spend a *ton* ($300 being way too much for me), but want a decent
stroller. Are the side by sides more rugged? They seem a lot more
comfortable. Jogging strollers in general more rugged? Do you miss the
bells and whistles on the side by sides, such as snack trays and cup
holders? Do they fold down easily? What's a good brand? Am going to
Babies R Us at some point to check them out, but it's over an hour drive and
want to have some info ahead of time. I won't be buying it probably until
after we move or just before, so I have some time (we close on Halloween).

FWIW, the kids are 2.5 years and 5.5 months, weight difference of about 8
lbs at the moment; I *have* heard that side by sides are better for kids of
similar weights. True?

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 2.5 years
and Christopher, 5 months

*This email address is now valid*

Old October 2nd 03, 09:02 AM
Herself

Laurie wrote:

Well we have decided to get a double stroller that makes me happy, since I
don't like the two I have now (long story if you don't already know it).
But since we're moving in a month and ended up buying a home in the
mountains, on a rugged dirt road, I've realized that I"m going to need
something pretty rugged.

I know nothing from double strollers, but we have a jogging stroller at
my parent's house in the States. They live in an area with no
sidewalks, and it's a lifesaver to us...

I don't
want to spend a *ton* ($300 being way too much for me), but want a decent
stroller.

We got a Baby Trend Expedition, on sale at Amazon for $90 (that's a
single one, remember). I love it, and so does (1 foot taller than me)
DH. It wouldn't work here at all, but it works great over there!!

Are the side by sides more rugged? They seem a lot more
Do you miss the
bells and whistles on the side by sides, such as snack trays and cup
holders?

Ours came with a snack tray/cupholder and a couple pockets. Our
stroller now doesn't have those, and it's not a big deal to me one way
or another...

Do they fold down easily?

It does. It's still big, but it's easy to deal with overall. We agreed
that the stroller wouldn't leave the island where my parents live...we
got a cheap $20 umbrella stroller, and use that for shopping, going on
flights, etc.

Am going to
Babies R Us at some point to check them out, but it's over an hour drive and
want to have some info ahead of time.

Baby Trend is carried by Babies R Us. We ran in one day to get the rain
shield (always a good thing to have on hand...)

Hope this helps, even a little :-).
--
'Tis Herself
Old October 2nd 03, 07:30 PM
K, T, E & N

You can get a good combination (and is more rugged) baby jogger/bike
trailer. Ours was side-by-side. Had a screen flap in front you could roll
up to secure out of the way or bring down so bugs couldn't get to the kids.
You could attach it to your bike or put the handle on it and an upfront
wheel and us it as a baby jogger. Ours was manufactured by Bell. Weight
capacity is listed as 100 pounds. My girls loved it until they moved up
from the trailer to their own trike and bike. We got ours on sale for
around $100. Have seen them in Sam's reasonably priced.

Kim

Old October 2nd 03, 07:47 PM
Denise

"Laurie" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

We've bought strollers from strollers4less.com recently. The most recent
being a Jeep double stroller. At first, I hated it because it was heavier
than the other doubles I've had, but I've grown to love it. It does very
well on dirt/gravel paths so far. It has enough room under the seats that
the girls can put their jackets and stuff down there with my stuff while we
walk. There's enough room between the seats, that its a little more
difficult for back baby to pull front baby's hair, kick her, push her.. etc.
And we got a good deal on it.
I still really want a double jogging stroller to actually jog, we have
gravel paths around here, so if you find a good one let me know... I'm
scared to pay $300 on a stroller I might end up hating.

Denise

Old October 3rd 03, 03:20 AM
P. Tierney

"Laurie" wrote in message
. ..
Well we have decided to get a double stroller that makes me happy, since I
don't like the two I have now (long story if you don't already know it).
But since we're moving in a month and ended up buying a home in the
mountains, on a rugged dirt road, I've realized that I"m going to need
something pretty rugged. I won't be using it in places like the mall very
often, so I'm thinking maybe I *would* be better off with a side by side
jogger or something like that (was dead set on a tandem before). I don't
want to spend a *ton* ($300 being way too much for me), but want a decent
stroller. Are the side by sides more rugged?

In my area, they are the SUVs of strollers. Too wide, takes up most
of the sidewalk, and parents pushing them always seem to expect others
to get out of the way. But my single stroller stays on the sidewalk and
the SUVs need to move around me. My kid shouldn't have to move
just because theirs can't sit back to back.

Sorry, it's likely different in your area. But it's a peeve, in need
of a vent for some time. ;-)

P.
Tierney

Old October 3rd 03, 04:48 AM
Laurie

Herself wrote in message ...
[...]

It helps a lot! Thanks!

Old October 3rd 03, 04:50 AM
Laurie

Denise wrote in message ...

We've bought strollers from strollers4less.com recently. The most recent
being a Jeep double stroller. At first, I hated it because it was heavier
than the other doubles I've had, but I've grown to love it. It does very
well on dirt/gravel paths so far. It has enough room under the seats that
the girls can put their jackets and stuff down there with my stuff while we
walk. There's enough room between the seats, that its a little more
difficult for back baby to pull front baby's hair, kick her, push her..

etc.
And we got a good deal on it.
I still really want a double jogging stroller to actually jog, we have
gravel paths around here, so if you find a good one let me know... I'm
scared to pay $300 on a stroller I might end up hating.

Denise

, Ok, thanks for the tips Denise.

Old October 3rd 03, 09:56 AM
Herself

P. Tierney wrote:

In my area, they are the SUVs of strollers. Too wide, takes up most
of the sidewalk, and parents pushing them always seem to expect others
to get out of the way. But my single stroller stays on the sidewalk and
the SUVs need to move around me. My kid shouldn't have to move
just because theirs can't sit back to back.

Sorry, it's likely different in your area. But it's a peeve, in need
of a vent for some time. ;-)

Hey, I have one, and I hate them in urban settings!! My favorite...with
the wheel that turns in the front, directionally. Take that puppy out
on a trail and see where *that* goes!

--
'Tis Herself
Old October 3rd 03, 12:55 PM
Taniwha grrrl

Laurie wrote:

I've realized
that I"m going to need something pretty rugged.

I'll plug a kiwi brand
www.mountainbuggy.com

or

www.mountainbuggyusa.com

They do singles, doubles, even triplet buggies, and they are
very ruggid. They have all the extras, you can get bassinets
for them (mix and match for the twin), they take car seats
of you take the canvas off. They have sun shades, storm
covers, and toddler trailers (the little stands toddlers
ride on).

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

Double stroller half-life and logistics Laurie General 10 September 12th 03 07:14 AM
double stroller toypup General 5 July 27th 03 05:41 PM
Jogging strollers Clisby Williams General 9 July 26th 03 02:16 PM