feeding how often?

Old July 20th 03, 04:35 AM
Pamela Perkins

Default feeding how often?

i am looking for information about how often (on average) my daughter
should be breastfeeding... she is 14 weeks old... we generally feed on
demand but it seems as though she really does not go for too long a period
of time without a feeding...

are there any sources out there that have general information on how often
one should feed, or how long a baby should go between feedings for a given
age? (I cannot seem to find a good table / chart on it)...

pam

Old July 20th 03, 09:01 AM
Chookie

In article m,
"Pamela Perkins" wrote:

are there any sources out there that have general information on how often
one should feed, or how long a baby should go between feedings for a given
age?

No reputable ones.

(I cannot seem to find a good table / chart on it)...

You won't find a *good* one. Babies should be fed when they need it. Every
baby is different, so average times between feeds aren't very useful. All we
can tell you is that the length of the feed will gradually decrease, and so
will the number of feeds. Is something in particular bugging you?

If you are really interested, jot down your baby's feeding times over a week
or so. You'll probably find that the baby eats at roughly the same time each
day.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old July 20th 03, 06:03 PM
Sue

You're probably not going to find a chart that tells you how much a
breastfed baby should eat, because the amount and frequency is so different
for every baby. Babies do know how much they need and how often. I know it
is hard to have to feed so often, but she could be going through a growth
spurt. Try to keep in mind just how little your baby's stomach really is to
get a prospective of how often she needs to eat (about the size of her
fist). I know I was feeding every two hours for a long time, but when a
growth spurt hit, it was more often. Hang in there.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

y.com...

Old July 21st 03, 01:47 AM
Karen Askey

In article m, "Pamela
Perkins" writes:

i am looking for information about how often (on average) my daughter
should be breastfeeding... she is 14 weeks old... we generally feed on
demand but it seems as though she really does not go for too long a period
of time without a feeding...

are there any sources out there that have general information on how often
one should feed, or how long a baby should go between feedings for a given
age? (I cannot seem to find a good table / chart on it)..

Even if you did happen to find one, your baby hasn't read it, so she only knows
how to do what she knows how to do!

My first son ate lengthy, frequent meals well until he was about 5 months old
or so. He ate probably every 2 or 2 1/2 hours round the clock.

Keep feeding by her cues and don't listen to naysayers who will tell you the
baby ought to be on a schedule by now or that you shouldn't feed her sooner
than 3 hours or so. Trust your instincts. If she is happy and healthy, then
continue on!

koa
Still nursing James, 02/06/01
EP'ing for Joey 04/02/03 (BCP)