Epidural question

Old February 23rd 06, 04:24 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Default Epidural question

How many people delivered without epidurals? I'll ask my doctor today but
it occurred to me that they might request that I have an epidural in place?
Ugh - don't want one. They give me the willies :-) If I need a c-section
I'd think they could do one at the last minute or something couldn't they?
C-section...another thing that freaks me out. Ugh. Heads down boys...heads
down!
--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99

Old February 24th 06, 07:30 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Nick Theodorakis wrote:

My dw delivered our singleton boy without an epidural (without
anything, actually). Our twin girls were born by C-section, though,
with epidural as the anesthetic.

Just to follow up: I asked and my doctor said that it was my choice. If I
didn't have one and there was some dire emergency where baby needed to come
out *now* they would give me a general, but they might do that anyway if it
was that big of an emergency. This was a huge relief to me! The thing I
might be risking is that they would do an internal/external version for Baby
B...which probably couldn't wait for an epidural so I'd have to suck it up
for that. It doesn't sound pleasant but it does sound relatively quick ;-)

Old February 24th 06, 10:53 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

I had epidurals for all my kids nobody could convince me to give birth
without one! I felt I could get the full benefit of the childbirth
experience without the searing pain comparable to pulling a bowling ball
through your nostril. Ouch!

As for the thought of a large needle in my back, I was in so much pain by
then I would have jumped out the window onto the needle if they told me it
would make it stop!

I think any women who gives birth without the comfort of an epidural
deserves a gold medal. You go girl!!

Cookie

Old February 27th 06, 04:02 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Epidurals are nothing! They are awsome!! I delivered my twins vaginally
and I was in so much pain with contractions, you didn't even feel the
epidural. I suppose with a c section, they could do a spinal, but it's
the practically the same thing! Why would you want to be put out with a
general?? Then you miss the birth of your children! All for the fear of
an epidural?? No way!

~Megan~
Mommy to
3 year old twins,
Aidan & Alexis

Old February 27th 06, 03:05 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Megan wrote:
Epidurals are nothing! They are awsome!! I delivered my twins
vaginally and I was in so much pain with contractions, you didn't
even feel the epidural. I suppose with a c section, they could do a
spinal, but it's the practically the same thing! Why would you want
to be put out with a general?? Then you miss the birth of your
children! All for the fear of an epidural?? No way!

I'm more afraid of the headache afterwards that not a lot of woman get but
enough do. I suffer from enough headaches and the thought of a three day
headache while trying to enjoy new babies is more unpleasant to me then the
pain of child birth. I didn't have any trouble going without the epidural
with my other two although I know this time will be different.

I'm also assuming I'll be trying for a vaginal birth. If I know I have to
have a c-section, or if I think there is a high risk of one for other
reasons (beyond just being twins ;-) then I'll have to reconsider!

Old February 27th 06, 11:53 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Nikki,

I am prone to migraines and I have had three epidurals with no residual
headache of any kind. I don't think you need to worry.

Old February 28th 06, 12:07 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

I don't know of any doctor who will administer general anesthesia to
someone just because she wants it General would only be used in
case of an emergency. I delivered my first son vaginally with NO
problem and his twin brother via emergency C with general anesthesia.
Nikki, it is certainly possible to deliver twins vaginally with no
epidural (although I'm not sure why you'd want to). If your twins are
in position for you to try a vaginal birth, it is your perogative to
not have the epidural. They will be ready for you if you change your
mind!

Good luck,
Ellen
--------------
Erin age 10
Bradley & Alex age 5

Old February 28th 06, 01:59 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

"Nikki" wrote in
:

snip

I'm more afraid of the headache afterwards that not a lot of woman get
but enough do. I suffer from enough headaches and the thought of a
three day headache while trying to enjoy new babies is more unpleasant
to me then the pain of child birth. I didn't have any trouble going
without the epidural with my other two although I know this time will
be different.

Is the headache from the epidural from the drug, itself, or the spinal
tap-like puncture?

Cindy Wells
(I get headaches from local anesthetics (part of a personal drug
allergy/intolerance - a very rare situation according to the doc), so
I can imagine both problems.)
Old February 28th 06, 03:02 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Cindy Wells wrote:

Is the headache from the epidural from the drug, itself, or the spinal
tap-like puncture?

I'm not positive but I think it is from the spinal tap-like puncture. I
know it doesn't happen all that often but it just so happens that it did to
a friend of mine IRL. Those less common things have bigger influence when
you see it...a little irrational I'll admit. I was also present for a
friends labor/delivery and the epidural did not work all that great and she
still got stuck in bed w/catheter, internal monitoring of the baby, and all
that jazz so that is two negative experiences :-P Of course I have friends
that had great experiences but those don't weigh so heavily on my mind. ;-)

Old February 28th 06, 03:04 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Ellen wrote:

If your twins are
in position for you to try a vaginal birth, it is your perogative to
not have the epidural. They will be ready for you if you change your
mind!

They were both head down last week. I know they do a lot of flipping around
in there yet but I'm taking that as a 'sign'! Apparently this hospital's
policy is that twin births are delivered in the room they'd do a c-section
in even if you are trying for a vaginal. This doesn't really bother me as
I'm not to affected by that type of thing but they will certainly be ready
;-)

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
| | Kids should work... Kane Spanking 12 December 10th 03 02:30 AM
Kids should work. ChrisScaife Spanking 16 December 7th 03 04:27 AM
Kids should work... Doan Foster Parents 31 December 7th 03 03:01 AM
Alternatives for labor pain relief?? Epidural Question Jill Pregnancy 18 September 21st 03 06:29 PM