Tall and heavy 6yo--should I worry about his weight?

Old September 8th 03, 10:48 PM
just me

Default Tall and heavy 6yo--should I worry about his weight?

"Circe" wrote in message
Julian hasn't been in for his 6 year well-check yet, so this is something
I'll be discussing with his pediatrician as well, but I wondered what the
consensus from the group would be. He is tall for his age (over 49", which
looks to me to be right about the 97th percentile), but he is also quite
heavy (65-66 lbs., which is completely off the chart for his age). I've

done
BMI calculations on him and they all say he's around the 85th-90th
percentiles for BMI, which therefore puts him "at risk of" overweight.

I *do* think he's a bit thick around the middle--he doesn't have the

concave
belly and prominent rib cage that most of his same-age friends seem to

have.
OTOH, I can't imagine what we could do to take weight off of him or get

him
to be slenderer. He eats a well-rounded (if somewhat limited) diet that's
almost certainly within the fat content guidelines and with plenty of

fruits
and even a few vegetables. He gets plenty of physical activity (loves to
swim, ride his bike, etc.). He just seems to have a very healthy appetite
for a kid his age and eats quite a lot at meals (I'm always stunned by how
little his friends actually eat when they visit).

So, do you think it's a concern when a child who is at the very top of the
chart for height is off it for weight? I know I wouldn't worry if the
reverse was true (height was off and weight was on), but given the

concerns
we have these days over childhood obesity, I don't want to dismiss this if
it's something I should be addressing.

I don't think it is a huge worry at this point, just something to be aware
of so you can encourage good eating and exercise habits. As a comparison
let me offer DS, turning 8 this month. He is 53 inches tall and 80 pounds.
We thought he had a little pudge going on there, just a little. When
husband and I started low carb life style in late July his carbs went way
down, [but not nearly as low as ours]. We quickly noticed an increase in
energy, improved sleeping habits and a rapid loss of that little pudge we
noticed. So, perhaps less starches and carbs can help your DS without
putting any serious crimp in your meal planning. Cauliflower is a wonderful
potato and rice replacement! :-)

-Aula

Old September 8th 03, 11:04 PM
Circe

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message
I'd probably keep an eye on his weight, but not fret about it yet.
Think about adding more protein and vegetables and fewer starches, and
LOTS more water, and see if that keeps his appetite under control.

Well, he already drinks a *lot* of water (I'd estimate a minimum of four
8-oz. glasses per day and typically more, though, of course, it's been hot
lately, so he's drinking more than usual), but he doesn't drink *any* milk
and rarely has juice (and when he does, it's 6 oz. in a day and that's it),
so that's certainly not the problem.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [18mo] mom)

"No parking passed this sign" -- sign in hotel parking lot

Old September 8th 03, 11:21 PM
Clisby

just me wrote:

I don't think it is a huge worry at this point, just something to be aware
of so you can encourage good eating and exercise habits. As a comparison
let me offer DS, turning 8 this month. He is 53 inches tall and 80 pounds.
We thought he had a little pudge going on there, just a little. When
husband and I started low carb life style in late July his carbs went way
down, [but not nearly as low as ours]. We quickly noticed an increase in
energy, improved sleeping habits and a rapid loss of that little pudge we
noticed. So, perhaps less starches and carbs can help your DS without
putting any serious crimp in your meal planning. Cauliflower is a wonderful
potato and rice replacement! :-)

-Aula

Uh, oh. Our dinner tonight included rice, potato, and cauliflower
(Indian dish.)

Clisby

Old September 9th 03, 11:05 AM
just me

"Clisby" wrote in message

Uh, oh. Our dinner tonight included rice, potato, and cauliflower
(Indian dish.)

;-)

Old September 9th 03, 06:32 PM
stacey r.

Circe wrote:

So, do you think it's a concern when a child who is at the very top of the
chart for height is off it for weight? I know I wouldn't worry if the
reverse was true (height was off and weight was on), but given the concerns
we have these days over childhood obesity, I don't want to dismiss this if
it's something I should be addressing.

Hi,
my daughter turned 6 a month ago and is almost exactly the same size as
your guy- 50 inches and 64 pounds! At her 6 yr. visit the doc was great
about talking to me about her possible 'at-risk-for-obesity' status
without getting my daughter & I concerned & started down that crazy road
of female weight obsession -- emphasizing healthy habits, but also
noting that BMI can change a lot in these years.

DD is also a great eater -- lots of fruit & veggies & water, but we
think she may eat slightly more carbs than needed, since she hates meat
and is a big mac & cheese/ pasta gal, so we're going to keep an eye on
portion size.

I imagine the ped. will bring it up with you, because the AAP is really
emphasizing childhood obesity right now, but you already practice good
eating & exercise habits so I wouldn't be too concerned!

cheers,

stacey r.