cat scratches

Old July 22nd 03, 03:33 PM
Sara

Default cat scratches

llama mama wrote:

we have one cat
that will let Boo maul him, a deaf cat named Faucet. he *will* scratch if
extremely provoked, but it takes a lot to get him to. i can't remember
him scratching more than 4 or 5 times before Boo got the hint that tails
aren't pull toys, and they were always very light scratches.

Our cat is deaf. I wonder if there's a connection? Anyway, I'm hoping
Ollie will learn soon. He's had about four or five scratches -- not
all that many, but the problem is that they're on the face and head.
We're afraid the cat is aiming for the eyes.

http://www.tarogue.net/~tom/brennan/...e/mvc-011f.jpg Faux meets
the baby

Maybe our cats are related:
http://chatteringmind.com/photos/200.../quit_taking_o
ur_picture.jpg

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle

I check this e-mail account infrequently
Old July 22nd 03, 03:33 PM
Sara

LFortier wrote:

...really work on the concept of
gentle. With time and repetition, Ollie will catch on.

Good to know. Thanks.

Old July 22nd 03, 03:57 PM
silvasurfa

"Sara" wrote in message
llama mama wrote:

we have one cat
that will let Boo maul him, a deaf cat named Faucet. he *will* scratch

if
extremely provoked, but it takes a lot to get him to. i can't remember
him scratching more than 4 or 5 times before Boo got the hint that tails
aren't pull toys, and they were always very light scratches.

Our cat is deaf. I wonder if there's a connection?

Possibly. Most very small kids squeal as they run towards a cat... so most
cats get prior warning to clear out.

Anyway, I'm hoping
Ollie will learn soon. He's had about four or five scratches -- not
all that many, but the problem is that they're on the face and head.
We're afraid the cat is aiming for the eyes.

Very likely... that's one of the ways they fight when they fight each other.

Old July 22nd 03, 03:59 PM
iphigenia

Sara wrote:

Heh. Actually, we've wondered if he's trying to say "cat," or if he's
making cat sounds.

That could be amusing when other people ask him if he knows what a cat
says...

"Hack...hack...hack"

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old July 22nd 03, 04:03 PM
silvasurfa

"Sara" wrote in message
silvasurfa wrote:

Is there a relative you can send the cat to for a holiday until the baby

can
talk... they are a *lot* easier to teach when they can talk... also

taller
so their eyes are more out of paw strike range.

Nope, the cat's here to stay.

There are ways of blunting claws just a bit that don't involve declawing.
I've heard of a stick on product called soft-paws (i think that's what it is
called) and some people just regularly trim off the very end of the claw to
make it slightly less pointy. I doubt this will solve the problem
completely, but it may be worth it as a temporary extra precaution until
your child reaches an age of more sense.

Old July 22nd 03, 04:08 PM
Andrea

Sara wrote in message ...
My nine-month-old baby loves our cat. Loves to chase him, to pet him,
to try to eat him. The cat is surprisingly tolerant, but... well...
there have been incidents. We keep the cat's claws trimmed and try to
stop the violence, but even so Ollie's getting quite a few scratches.

Is there anything to worry about with these scratches? I've read about
"cat scratch fever," but anything else? (He's an indoor, healthy cat.)

Sara,

I have a great online reference for you about Cats & Kids found at the
address: http://www.flippyscatpage.com/health.html#children .

Please let me know if this helped.

Andrea
Old July 22nd 03, 04:19 PM
Mary W.

Sara wrote:

My nine-month-old baby loves our cat. Loves to chase him, to pet him,
to try to eat him. The cat is surprisingly tolerant, but... well...
there have been incidents. We keep the cat's claws trimmed and try to
stop the violence, but even so Ollie's getting quite a few scratches.

Is there anything to worry about with these scratches? I've read about
"cat scratch fever," but anything else? (He's an indoor, healthy cat.)

Glad to hear the cat is here to stay We've got a cat and two dogs
and a 2 yo daughter. No major mishaps yet. Lots of supervision.
The cat, smartly, keeps her distance from DD (although she does
sleep on her bed at night), and DD went through a stage of
hitting the dogs. Correction, redirection and supervision eventually
prevailed.

For your immediate problem, while Ollie is still little you might
look into those plastic coverings for kitty claws. Vet offices
sell them. They just glue onto the claws. This should
provide some measure of protection for the baby. Continue
to supervise, and redirect Ollie and provide a safe haven for the
cat.

Mary

Old July 22nd 03, 04:21 PM
T.R.H.

This is very simple to me.

The baby doesnt know better when it comes to handling a cat, and won't for
quite a while.

The cat doesnt care if the baby knows better or should know better.

The cat will react defensively and most likely with aggression to discourage
it when it goes to far (and it will)

Your baby is in real danger of getting very badly scratched/mauled or worse,
his vision permantly damaged.

You need to separate the cat from the baby until he knows better, end of
story.

cheers

"Sara" wrote in message
blacksalt wrote:

My biggest worry would be a down right mauling when the cat gets sick of
it. If it were my cat, I'd protect it from maulings from baby, even if
it means using a squirt bottle to train cat to get up and leave when
baby approaches. Just because deep bites haven't happened yet, doesn't
mean they won't, nor that an eye won't be scratched.

That's what I'm most worried about -- that Ollie's eye will get
scratched.

We're trying to teach Telephone (the cat) to run away, and to take
naps up where Ollie can't reach him, but it isn't working. The cat
seems to really like Ollie -- he rubs up against him and purrs, and
likes to hang out with him. It just is every now and then when Ollie's
too rough, Telephone scratches him.

Old July 22nd 03, 05:10 PM
silvasurfa

"T.R.H." wrote in message
This is very simple to me.

The baby doesnt know better when it comes to handling a cat, and won't for
quite a while.

The cat doesnt care if the baby knows better or should know better.

The cat will react defensively and most likely with aggression to

discourage
it when it goes to far (and it will)

Your baby is in real danger of getting very badly scratched/mauled or

worse,
his vision permantly damaged.

You need to separate the cat from the baby until he knows better, end of
story.

cheers

And the humanest way to do that IMHO is give the cat a holiday at a friend's
house. Even 6 months to a year would help a lot, although 2 years would see
the kid pretty much out of major danger. Many animal loving people are
thrilled to take care of someone's pet for a while if the owner supplies
food and pays for any vet costs. An elderly relative or neighbour might be a
good option.

Old July 22nd 03, 05:54 PM
P. Tierney

"Sara" wrote:

I'd try to gradually teach the child how to pet and treat the cat
properly.

Any advice on how to do this? We're trying to teach him "gentle," and
show him over and over how to stroke the cat. Ollie's stopped biting
him and doesn't grab his fur with both hands any more, so there's been
progress.

That's sort of how we've done it. "Gentle" was always said when
she petted the cat, which used to be always in a very rough manner.
She now does okay most of the time. "Off limits" is a catch-all
phrase that we use for several areas (behind the TV, the street, etc.)
and have applied that to the tail area, for now. "No chase" has
been used a few times too. (I try not to use "no" at all, as suggested
by many, but there are a few areas in which I can't think of any way
to phrase things positively, such as the above.)

Until your child learns, which should take awhile considering his age,
I'd monitor their "playtime" pretty closely.

They're together all day and night, so it's pretty difficult.

Then it's hard to say. Maybe the advice of some others might work.
Our cats keep to themselves a lot, and go outside, so they don't have a
huge amount of face time with the child. When they do, I'm usually there.

P. Tierney