Tongue Tie - Anyone in UK wih experience of this ( Cross Posted )

Old October 13th 05, 09:38 PM
Debbie Harrison

Default Tongue Tie - Anyone in UK wih experience of this ( Cross Posted )

Sarah

Thankyou so much for all the info ( and Linz for the links ). I will pass it
all on to my friend and if she has any further questions I will come back to
you. I think she is thinking of having it done and the nearest to us would
either be Brisol or Nottingham. Again I willlet you know what she decides.

Thanks again

Debbie
"Sarah Vaughan" wrote in message
Yes, me. My son was born with a tongue tie, which we eventually had
snipped when he was two months old. The full story is a bit long to go
into right now, but suffice it to say that I am now convinced that (1) it
would have been a darned sight better if he could have had it snipped at
birth, and (2) given that this didn't happen, I'm still very glad that we
had it done when we did instead of faffing around for the next year the
way the local authorities apparently thought we should.

In message , Debbie
Harrison writes
My friend has a two month son who has a tongue tie. She is currently
managing to breast feed even though his tongue tie is causing some
difficulties.

Is her baby gaining weight properly? Jamie wasn't, and we finally had to
face the fact that it was due to his tongue tie despite the fact that the
pain had almost settled. He just couldn't get the milk in properly.
Unfortunately, by then my supply had gone down and it took a lot of
pumping and hassle to get his weight up.

She has been told by her GP and Hospital Paediatrician that
nothing will be done about it until he is at least 2 when he is beginning
talk.

Which is the same sort of misinformed rubbish I faced. Apart from all the
problems with breastfeeding, it's also much easier to do in a small baby.
Jamie's tongue tie was clipped there and then in the office, whereas if
I'd left it until he was a toddler he'd have needed a general anaesthetic
to get it fixed. I know it sounds harsh, but it only took a second to do
and I could nurse him immediately, which comforted him. It really was so
much easier than a hospital stay and general anaesthetic would have been
for a toddler.

Does anyone else have any experience of tongue tie and any useful
infromation/help that I can pass on to her.

Yes - Linz looked up some great links when this happened to me.

http://www.babyfriendly.org.uk/tonguetie.asp will help her find the
nearest person who will do it (unless she's lucky, she'll have to travel
out of the area).

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/refcap/552046.html and
http://www.abm.me.uk/tonguetieresearch.htm have general info which she
may find useful.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/bfhelp-tonguetie.html has lots of
links. One of these,
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/110/5/e63/T1, is
a scale which will allow her to evaluate the severity of her baby's tongue
tie - when I rated Jamie's on this, I realised it was worse than I'd
thought just from looking at it. However, it's from a medical article and
has a lot of medical terminology, so it isn't the easiest thing in the
world to use. Basically, if she's getting pain or the baby isn't gaining
weight, I'd recommend she has it done even if she needs to go out of area.

Many thanks in advance.

You're very welcome. After the problems we had with this, I feel very
strongly about helping out other people in the same position. Please let
me know if she wants any more advice, help, feedback or whatever from
someone who's BTDT.

All the best,

Sarah

--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.blogspot.com

But how do we _know_ that nobody ever said on their deathbed that they
wished
they'd spent more time at the office?