Paranoid new mom question #4521 - now sleeping too much?

Old July 27th 06, 01:14 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default Paranoid new mom question #4521 - now sleeping too much?

We'll get this all worked out soon.

Since Sunday, DD has been feeding like a maniac. Yesterday she slept 2
1hr stretches, and a few 10-15 minute naps throughout the day.
Otherwise, she was feeding. Plenty of wet diapers and poops were either
green or yellow - equal # of both.

She fed last night at 10, then again at 12, then basically slept til
6am. I know a long stretch is ok, but this was 6 hours! now, she did
wake about 2, but wasn't interested in nursing. I nursed her anyway and
she managed 5 mins before pursing her lips and konking out. The 6am
nursing was kind of the same, but I managed to wake her more and get
another 10 mins out of her (i had pumped a bit due to engorgement, so
hopefully what she got was already hindmilk). and she's sleeping again.

I shouldn't complain (altho it's not like *I* got uninterupted 6 hrs
sleep, my breasts see to that!), but am now worried it's too much.
Could it be she just got so little sleep yesterday she's making up for
it now? She had one wet (but not soaking) diaper and one poopy diaper
since midnight.

Old July 27th 06, 02:12 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

cjra wrote:
[...]

small update.

She woke on her own at 7:30 am with a soaking diaper and wanting to
nurse, but she still only managed about 10 mins before falling asleep
again.

Old July 27th 06, 02:18 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PattyMomVA

"cjra" wrote and I snipped:
Since Sunday, DD has been feeding like a maniac. Yesterday she slept 2
1hr stretches, and a few 10-15 minute naps throughout the day.
Otherwise, she was feeding. Plenty of wet diapers and poops were either
green or yellow - equal # of both.

She fed last night at 10, then again at 12, then basically slept til
6am. I know a long stretch is ok, but this was 6 hours! now, she did
wake about 2, but wasn't interested in nursing. I nursed her anyway and
she managed 5 mins before pursing her lips and konking out. The 6am
nursing was kind of the same, but I managed to wake her more and get
another 10 mins out of her and she's sleeping again.

I shouldn't complain (altho it's not like *I* got uninterupted 6 hrs
sleep, my breasts see to that!), but am now worried it's too much.
She had one wet (but not soaking) diaper and one poopy diaper
since midnight.

I think it's fine!!! You should be grateful. My DD slept like that only
once, at about 3 months, until we did a little sleep training at 21 months.
I can understand your concern about her getting enough, but a stretch of 6
hours at night, especially with all the frequent nursing during waking
hours, is really okay. When she pursed her lips, she was letting you know
that she wasn't hungry. It's okay for her to not be hungry in the middle of
the night.

Also, I believe the conventional wisdom about growth spurts is that the baby
feeds, feeds, feeds, then sleeps, sleeps, sleeps. Sounds like a mini-spurt
to me.

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old July 27th 06, 04:05 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Mary W. wrote:
cjra wrote:
We'll get this all worked out soon.

Since Sunday, DD has been feeding like a maniac. Yesterday she slept 2
1hr stretches, and a few 10-15 minute naps throughout the day.
Otherwise, she was feeding. Plenty of wet diapers and poops were either
green or yellow - equal # of both.

She fed last night at 10, then again at 12, then basically slept til
6am. I know a long stretch is ok, but this was 6 hours! now, she did
wake about 2, but wasn't interested in nursing. I nursed her anyway and
she managed 5 mins before pursing her lips and konking out. The 6am
nursing was kind of the same, but I managed to wake her more and get
another 10 mins out of her (i had pumped a bit due to engorgement, so
hopefully what she got was already hindmilk). and she's sleeping again.

I think it's fine. FWIW, with both of my girls, 10 minutes was
actually a long feed, and that was pretty much right from the
start. They both were quick, plus I had a great supply and
a bit of overactive letdown so they got full fast. I also found
that they'd sleep alot during/ after a growth spurt (a couple
of days of non stop nursing, then a couple really sleepy
days). Oh, the best piece of advice I got when DD1 was a
newborn is that newborns are often ready for a nap about
1.5 hours after they wake up in the morning (just an FYI
thing, I had no idea about that!). I wouldn't worry about
one 6 hour stretch of sleep.

I'm so glad she's home and nursing so well!

Mary W.

Thanks for the reassurance. I will appreciate the sleepy days!

She does wake up, but just does this little gurgling sound then dozes
off again.

Old July 27th 06, 05:21 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I have an experience that's on the other side of what people have said so
far, and no, I'm not trying to be a jerk or scare you, this is just what
happened to me and *might* be something to consider, or it might not be your
case at all!

DS was nursed, he slept 4 hours at night, 3 during the day - you could set a
clock to it. At night, he'd eat, poop, pass out, sleep for 4 hours, wake
and eat and poop again then back to sleep. He would feed for about 10
minutes on each side during the day, about 10 minutes on one side at night.
Since, I've found, each baby sucks and eats differently, as well as every
woman will produce milk differently for their baby, some babies will only
need 10 minutes total, others need half an hour total to eat at a time. DS
gained weight perfectly, so that's why it all seemed to work perfectly fine.

DD, OTOH, was opposite. The first night at home, she slept 6 hours, and
since she was a day old, she slept a good 6-7 hours at night. By the time
she was a couple weeks old (3ish weeks), she had upgraded to sleeping around
8-9 hours straight through the night. By about a month and a half, she was
sleeping around 10 hours and before she was 3 months old, she was sleeping
12 hours through the night. I was nursing her, but we had some major
issues. My ped, mother and random people I had talked to said don't wake a
sleeping baby (my mom told me this back when DS1 was born) and no babies
will sleep long enough to starve themselves.
DD slept fine, but her feedings became a major concern. By about 3 months,
she started to not want to eat. Well, she did want to eat, but she was
getting frustrated. She would be able to get enough, I think, as she'd
start pulling away, sucking, crying, whatever, and she started to lose
weight, which then became a concern to me. By this time, though, I had
tried almost everything.... Pills to help with supply, pumping with a manual
pump, expressing with my hands, heck, I even went out and rented the Medela
Symphony (?I believe it was the Symphony - it's available *here* only by
renting with a nice, major, credit card depost and daily/weekly/monthly
rate) It's supposed to be THE best of the best. At any given time, I
couldn't pump more than an oz or two, and that didn't matter what time of
the day or night I tried. With DS, by the time he was a month old, I had
manually expressed enough to feed an army, AND still nursed exclusively.
I had all kinds of suggestions from everywhere - keep trying to pump, only
offer her a breast to eat off of since if she's hungry, she'll eat, she
can't be hungry if she's not nursing, pump as much as possible and bottle
feed it to her, offer her a bottle with formula. I eventually got concerned
(and her ped did too) when she continued to lose weight, her sleep became
garbage and I was losing my mind with it all and I tried a bottle of formula
(again, the pumping did not work one bit) and she drank the bottle of
forumla like a charm. I had my own issues with this to deal with - I did it
2 times before with no issues, I failed as a mother, I'm not helping DD one
bit with formula, etc., but then realized she started gaining weight and
doing real good, and she went back to the exact same sleeping schedule of a
good 12 hours at night (plus about 3 hours nap time in the afternoon as she
was around 3-4 months by this time)
I have no idea why it didn't work out with DD, but I have a feeling that it
was because she slept so long at night. I do know that this long of stretch
of sleeping for a baby is not very common, but DD did it and everyone had
said that it was amazing that she slept so long as a newborn. Some wished
theirs did that, yet I wished mine didn't!

Obviously I do realize that this case with DD is more than likely an
exception to the rule, but still. It might be something that you keep an
eye out for, although I don't think this will be a problem at all for you.
From what you've said, it seems that you have a real good supply going and
no need to worry about that, so I would say if she is sleeping longer, let
her sleep. Your supply seems to have been established very well already,
and also, I said it elsewhere a few mins ago (might be here or might be in
MK?) that also if it's hot out, she could be sleeping longer because of
that! Let her sleep. Keep an eye on weight gain and your supply and it
should be just fine (and it sure doesn't seem like you have any concerns, or
reasons for concern, about her gaining weight or your milk supply!)

Old July 27th 06, 06:35 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Obviously I do realize that this case with DD is more than likely an
exception to the rule, but still. It might be something that you keep an
eye out for, although I don't think this will be a problem at all for you.
From what you've said, it seems that you have a real good supply going and
no need to worry about that, so I would say if she is sleeping longer, let
her sleep. Your supply seems to have been established very well already,
and also, I said it elsewhere a few mins ago (might be here or might be in
MK?) that also if it's hot out, she could be sleeping longer because of
that! Let her sleep. Keep an eye on weight gain and your supply and
it should be just fine (and it sure doesn't seem like you have any
concerns, or reasons for concern, about her gaining weight or your milk
supply!)

xkatx, I do think you are right to point this out, very rarely a baby will
sleep excessively because they are so lethargic and unable to stay awake. I
had a friend who's baby did this, they picked it up earlier and went to
feeding her 2hrly by the clock in the day time, at which point she realised
there was good stuff and stopped sleeping through the night, to the dismay
of her parents, this lasted for another year. Right now, there is no reason
to think little Angelina has fallen into this category, the nurse nurse
nurse sleep sleep sleep aspect of growth spurts describes it much better.

Cheers

Anne

Old July 27th 06, 07:47 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
lucy-lu

cjra wrote:
[...]

IIRC, Angelina's coming up to 3 weeks soon? My health visitor said to me
that babies go through a growth spurt around three weeks, and will stuff
themselves silly at that point... Jessica did that, and also slept a lot
at that stage. When she hit 4 weeks, her feeding went back to normal,
and she's been a lot more awake, tho thankfully she's still sleeping 6
hours at night - but like you, my boobs stop me from doing the same

If Jessica gets too sleepy for a feed during the night, I try taking
longer to change her nappy - this seems to wake her up a bit more, and
she feeds better.

HTH

Lucy

BTW - I meant to reply to your post with the link to your photos - she's
a gorgeous baby! Even DH said how beautiful she is! Congratulations
Old July 28th 06, 12:21 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PK

cjra wrote:
snip
I shouldn't complain

Count your blessings :-)
A is probably fine - logically, if you tried offering and if she's not
going to nurse you can't possibly force her to nurse. She'll have a
marathon session when she's hungry. Wait and watch, and if you are
still concerned, talk to her Ped.

PK

Old July 28th 06, 01:20 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mum of Two

"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
We'll get this all worked out soon.

Since Sunday, DD has been feeding like a maniac. Yesterday she slept 2
1hr stretches, and a few 10-15 minute naps throughout the day.
Otherwise, she was feeding. Plenty of wet diapers and poops were either
green or yellow - equal # of both.

She fed last night at 10, then again at 12, then basically slept til
6am. I know a long stretch is ok, but this was 6 hours! now, she did
wake about 2, but wasn't interested in nursing. I nursed her anyway and
she managed 5 mins before pursing her lips and konking out. The 6am
nursing was kind of the same, but I managed to wake her more and get
another 10 mins out of her (i had pumped a bit due to engorgement, so
hopefully what she got was already hindmilk). and she's sleeping again.

Sounds like the post-growth spurt sleep ;-)
I wished I'd been able to sleep at times like those, but I spent more time
worried and uncomfortable with breasts like melons.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old July 28th 06, 03:24 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Mum of Two wrote:
"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

yeah, it doesn't really translate into more sleep for me. My breasts
hurt like hell.
She did wake up last night, but doesn't wake up crying, just sort of
gurgling. She didn't seem to want to suck at first, but I finally
picked her up and put her to the breast and 5 mins of sucking calmed
her down. Not sure she ate much, but it's clear she wanted something.
Had to do that a few times during the night.

Yesterday afternoon/evening she made up for her long sleep stretch tho
- she was nursing constantly for awhile!

Toddler sleeping question Mommy Mommy Pregnancy 2 January 9th 06 09:17 PM
Eigth Strike?....was.....Someone else Flunks The Question...was.... Four lives lost, though one is still living. Kane Spanking 3 July 24th 04 06:14 PM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 04:23 PM
Kids should work. ChrisScaife Foster Parents 16 December 7th 03 05:27 AM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 04:28 AM