another thing - white milky discharge and anal rash?

Old August 22nd 06, 10:12 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default another thing - white milky discharge and anal rash?

Thanks to all for humouring me through my many paranoid new mom
questions. Here's another -

first, most of DDs other 'symptoms' have subsided. She still has the
face/neck rash but it's gone way down. She's eating well, fussing less,
etc. So I'm inclined to think there's no regular food intolerance going
(phew) but I'm still watching things.

However, in the last few days she's developed a rash around the anus,
kind of long/narrow shaped, not like the normal diaper rash. It's
gotten better with butt paste,but not completely gone. Today she had a
runny bottom episode. I know it's hard to tell with BF babies, but this
was very watery, not just mucousy (which she has often enough). Still
yellow. but no blood. as I was changing that diaper, she had a milky
white discharge from the urethra. I can't tell if she's had more,
because I can't see it in her diapers. She's not yet had more
diarrhea-like episodes. milky white discharge seems a bit weird though.

no fever, no other obvious problems. Eating fine, no unusual fussiness
- in fact much calmer than she has been in awhile. She doesn't sleep a
lot - her naps are short, max 30 mins. but she's sleeping ok at night
(4 hrs, feed, then 2-3 hrs, then up for the day...)

I have to call the pedi for an appt next week anyway, but any thoughts?

Old August 22nd 06, 10:27 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

cjra wrote:

However, in the last few days she's developed a rash around the anus,
kind of long/narrow shaped, not like the normal diaper rash. It's
gotten better with butt paste,but not completely gone. Today she had a
runny bottom episode. I know it's hard to tell with BF babies, but this
was very watery, not just mucousy (which she has often enough). Still
yellow. but no blood. as I was changing that diaper, she had a milky
white discharge from the urethra. I can't tell if she's had more,
because I can't see it in her diapers. She's not yet had more
diarrhea-like episodes. milky white discharge seems a bit weird though.

oh, could be from the vagina, which would be normal at 1 week but now
I'd think thrush? Only my midwife looked at her mouth last week and
said she had no signs of it then...

Old August 23rd 06, 02:44 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

yellow. but no blood. as I was changing that diaper, she had a milky
white discharge from the urethra. I can't tell if she's had more,
because I can't see it in her diapers. She's not yet had more
diarrhea-like episodes. milky white discharge seems a bit weird though.

are you sure it's from her urethra? that kind of discharge would be very
normal from a vagina at this age, should go away by 12 weeks. Actually
thinking about the structure of the bladder and urethra, I'm not quite sure
how it would produce such a discharge.

Anne

Old August 23rd 06, 02:46 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

oh, could be from the vagina, which would be normal at 1 week but now
I'd think thrush? Only my midwife looked at her mouth last week and
said she had no signs of it then...

oh you answered yourself, Ada had exactly the discharge you describe for
several weeks as a newborn, I think up to about 12 weeks is normal, it's
hormonal in cause, so it's got the same time frame as baby acne. Very much
doubt that she'd have vaginal thrush, if she did, the discharge would be
much thicker and probably yellower rather than milky.

Anne

Old August 23rd 06, 03:00 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mary W.

Anne Rogers wrote:
oh, could be from the vagina, which would be normal at 1 week but now
I'd think thrush? Only my midwife looked at her mouth last week and
said she had no signs of it then...

oh you answered yourself, Ada had exactly the discharge you describe for
several weeks as a newborn, I think up to about 12 weeks is normal, it's
hormonal in cause, so it's got the same time frame as baby acne. Very much
doubt that she'd have vaginal thrush, if she did, the discharge would be
much thicker and probably yellower rather than milky.

I agree with Anne that the discharge is likely normal. The
rash could very well be a yeast rash, a little topical yeast
cream (miconizol (sp?)) 3 -4 times a day would help that.
If it is yeast, it should clear up pretty quick with the yeast
cream (I would put a layer of the miconizol on then some
desitin. For a stubborn diaper rash, I used the regular
desitin, not the creamy. It seemed to work better). Also,
for redness, you can put on a little over-the-counter
hydrocortisone cream.

Making sure you change diapers quickly, and air drying
also help keep a rash at bay.

Mary W.