Bottle feeding (vent)

Old November 2nd 03, 07:24 PM
Alison

Default Bottle feeding (vent)

So we started doing one EBM bottle feed per day at midnight by DP as soon as
DS got home from hospital at 2 weeks old. There was no nipple confusion and
it allowed me to get a sleep from 10.30pm to 3am (much needed). He wasn't
fussy who gave him the bottle, even me when the thrush was so bad I couldn't
bear too many latches.

I'm not the most milky person so I had to express 2 or 3 times a day to get
the evening feed and my sister kept on "I don't know why you bother
expressing all the time - it's such a hassle - why don't you just breastfeed
him all the time". I knew why we were doing it so I ignored her.

At 8 weeks old (corrected) he was sleeping through from 7pm to 4am reliably
and I could get good sleep so, listening to my sister's advice, we dropped
the daily bottle feed though I still expressed at 10pm to build a freezer
stash. He's been increasing the length of sleep from 7pm to 6am though this
means 6 feeds to fit into 13 hours so roughly 2 hourly. I don't object to
this atall cos I get my sleep at night.

Now I have some training days coming up and DS's grandparents are thrilled
to be looking after him for a day here and there. So had a thought - I'll
just try the bottle and, you've guessed it, it's a no-go. He'd had 4 weeks
of no bottle and now he just screams blue-murder at the prospect. He
therefore can't be looked after by anyone other than Mrs Moo Cow.

I quickly logged on and got all the archives on the issue as I knew I'd read
many and sympathised but now I *empathised*. We've tried all the tricks,
teats, bottles, sippy cups, droppers etc but 2 weeks later we're still not
having any success. I'm having terrible bouts of "I'm trapped" feelings cos
2 hourly is a big tie and it isn't really possible to take ds *everywhere*,
especially not the training days.

So for those of you that have been-there-done-that, how long did it take?
How often per day did you try? What are your tips? We can't just let him
starve/scream it out cos he has a hernia and we've been advised not to let h
im cry hard if atall possible.

Incidentally my sister now admits "Oh we had that problem with our eldest
but the daycare centre just rode it out until she realised there was no
alternative". Thanks a lot, we don't have (nor want) that option.

*sigh*

--Alison
He now sleeps from

Old November 3rd 03, 01:01 AM
Marnie

So for those of you that have been-there-done-that, how long did it take?
How often per day did you try? What are your tips? We can't just let him
starve/scream it out cos he has a hernia and we've been advised not to let

im cry hard if atall possible.

Here are my easy-to-try tips for the reluctant bottle-taker. You may have
tried them already. but maybe not. These worked for us when I suffered from
thrush and was only feeding from one side.

- don't wait until baby is hungry, just almost hungry
- make sure bottle is warmed to about body temp
- put the baby on your lap, leaning against you, facing out ... in other
words, don't use the classic nursing position
- if that doesn't work, hold baby facing out, leaning on you, and walk
around while offering the bottle

Good luck!
--
Marnie

Old November 3rd 03, 02:10 AM
Cathy Weeks

"Alison" o.uk wrote in message ...

So for those of you that have been-there-done-that, how long did it take?
How often per day did you try? What are your tips? We can't just let him
starve/scream it out cos he has a hernia and we've been advised not to let h
im cry hard if atall possible.

Hmmm...yes, it happened to us. We introduced a bottle with EBM at 5
weeks and she did just fine with it. We gave her occasional bottles
per week but at about 3 months or so we quit bothering. We went on
vacation at 4 months, and when we got back, I had to go into work for
two full days (8-5pm) and DH kept my daughter. The first day was
*hell*. She refused the bottle nearly all day, and finally at around
2pm she finally sucked down 4 ounces and fell into an exhausted
slumber. Then it started again when she woke up. The next day was a
little better, with her fighting the bottle for about an hour, then
everything went smoothly. We tried to give her a bottle once a day
after that, but everytime we got lazy, she went back to refusing. I
work from home, though, so it wasn't *that* big a deal. At around 10
- 11 months she realized she *could* take a bottle, and she didn't
mind it. But by 18 months, I quit even giving her a bottle with a
nipple and switched exclusively to sippy cups, because she preferred
them.

She was definitely NOT a happy bottle-taker.

What it comes down to is that the baby won't starve himself/herself -
not to the point of danger. It won't hurt him to go without for even
a day - but things won't be pleasant until he finally comes to the
conclusion that he has no choice. And it sounds like some of his
preemie issue make it a poor choice, at least for the time being. So,
if you are a SAHM, why not forget about bottles for awhile? And you
might try sippy cups, or even a shot glass or something like that.
Keep working on it and all.

Hope this helps.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old November 3rd 03, 12:21 PM
KC

What I did to try to help Jessi get used to taking a bottle was to
take out my nipple from her mouth and quickly insert the bottles
nipple. Also try a faster flow nipple. Jessi didn't like the slow
flow nipples. Now, at 5 months she is completely off the bottle and
takes a sippy cup instead. It flows much faster than a bottle which I
think is how my breasts flow.

KC -
buy or rent Whittlestone Breast Expressers at:
http://www.alittlestore.com

Old November 3rd 03, 01:34 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Cathy Weeks wrote:

*"Alison" o.uk wrote in message ...
*
* So for those of you that have been-there-done-that, how long did it take?
* How often per day did you try? What are your tips? We can't just let him
* starve/scream it out cos he has a hernia and we've been advised not to let h
* im cry hard if atall possible.
*
*What it comes down to is that the baby won't starve himself/herself -
*not to the point of danger. It won't hurt him to go without for even
*a day - but things won't be pleasant until he finally comes to the

Yeah - my daughter at 3 mos wouldn't take a bottle, and ultimately I had
to go to work and she just had to either take it, or take it by
spoon/dropper/whatever, or be hungry and wait. She ended up peacefully
waiting for me to get home, believe it or not. Ultimately after a number
of days she started taking the bottle though.

Old November 4th 03, 11:25 AM
Jenrose

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
In ,
Cathy Weeks wrote:

*"Alison" o.uk wrote in

message ...
*
[...]

My best friend nurses before she leaves for her teaching job, her hubby
brings baby at lunchtime, and then baby waits until after school. I think
she pumps in the meantime, once, but mostly baby just waits for her rather
than take a bottle.

Jenrose