migraines and nursing

Old April 25th 07, 03:44 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
JJ

Default migraines and nursing

Does anyone know of a connection between weaning and development of
migraines? I'm 34, and had mild to moderate migraines about 10 years
ago that in hindsigh were clearly stress related. None since then
until DD was 8 months old, and cutting back on her milk. I had
exercised very hard that day withou a whole lot to eat, and developed
a classic aura with SEVERE headache and profuse vomiting. Painwise,
it was up there with labor. Zomig nasal spray worked great in two
doses, and then nothong since til last week. DS is now 9 months, and
cutting back a bit, and twice now I'vhad severe migraines (although
not like the first) again, both after exercise. (However, since I
exercise most days at similar intensity hard to be sure it's related.

Am I in some kind of hormone change window of danger? Anyone else
have any experience with migraines, or suggestions on what to do with
a 2 yo and baby when I can barely get out of bed?

Also, Zomig seems to work really well, but I'm supposed to pump and
dump 4 hours later. If milk production isnot an issue, is it OK to
just wait 8-10 hours? If I take zomig right after he goes to sleep,
do I need to set an alarm to get up and pump, or will it just diffuse
back out of the milk?

Thanks
JJ

Old April 30th 07, 03:14 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Bryna

On Apr 24, 10:44�pm, JJ wrote:
[...]

I get migraines, and Zomig works well for me too. I was told you
don't need to pump and dump as long as you don't nurse within the
window of the drug still being in the milk. I don't know if Imitrex
works for you, but it's more compatible with breastfeeding and has a
shorter half-life, so it may be worth a look. It's possible that
you've got some hormonal stuff going on, or it could be that you're
getting dehydrated exercising and triggering migraines that way. Make
sure you keep very well hydrated and see if it makes a difference. I
hope your migraines clear up! Mine are pretty chronic, but I've
learned to manage them between Percocet and Imitrex/Zomig. I would
suggest that you ask your neurologist for a Percocet or Vicodin
prescription for the times when you can't take a triptan drug due to
imminent nursing. I've found the pain relief to be a real lifesaver
when I have to "manage" through the pain. Good luck!

Bryna

migraines lucy-h Pregnancy 5 March 29th 06 12:53 AM
headaches/migraines while pregnant Nanc Pregnancy 23 June 29th 04 02:08 AM
Fioricet for Migraines? Bóliath Pregnancy 6 June 21st 04 09:50 PM
migraines bcram Kids Health 0 March 9th 04 04:46 PM
Migraines...and pregnancy Jill Pregnancy 15 January 23rd 04 07:03 PM