A Parenting & kids forum. ParentingBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ParentingBanter.com forum » misc.kids » Breastfeeding
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Cups of...?

Old April 27th 07, 06:22 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx
external usenet poster

Default Cups of...?

Just wondering.
DD2 is now 6 months old. Still nursing strong, still strongly refusing EBM (given up on that a long while back) and still not really interested in any food, other than a boob.
We have given her a bit of the rice cereal, but it's not a regular thing, and it's only at night if I find or feel she's getting a bit fussy.
Anyways, I know DS was using a sippy cup during the day all the time by about 8 months. He was in daycare at this point, and we nursed only at night, in the morning and when I was at home and he wasn't at daycare. That went fine, but that was also about 5 and a half years ago.

Today I bought a little sippy cup for DD2. It's a "Heinz Baby Basics Tumbler" and it has the very, very soft, flexible spout. It's small and it said it was the very beginner stage. I am thinking I will try her on the sippy cup every now and then starting real soon, just to see if she gets the hang of it. I'm wondering.. Should I give her water in it? Or should I give EBM? I have not been pumping at all lately - don't even have a pump anymore. I do have EBM still stored and frozen in the freezer that I have been thawing out very slowly to use with her cereal when she takes that. I really do not have much as far as milk goes that is stored.
I will not give her juices at this point. She is still far too young for that. I just don't know what I should be putting in this new sippy cup to try her with it every now and then during the day. At this point, I am not ready to give up nursing, and I don't think she is either.
As I type, I'm starting to wonder if I should put water in it. I do NOT want to be forced into giving her formula all the time because she takes the little bit of EBM in a cup, and we also have bottle refusal issues (which I am starting to really not mind about, even though I have far less freedom right now than I would like)
Should I forget the sippy cup at this point or should I give it a shot slowly but surely? Should I try water in it or EBM? It's been a while, and I really can't remember what we did with DD1 not long ago, for some reason. She also uses different sippy cups and always has. I do believe she was quite a bit older than DD2 is now, but DD2 is now the same age as DS was when I first tried him with it. Also, DS would take anything shoved into his mouth that would provide him with food. He showed a clear preference towards a breast, and he had bottles very, very rarely.
Any suggestions?
Old April 27th 07, 11:49 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sue
external usenet poster

Default Cups of...?

All of my girls started drinking out of sippy cups at an early age. I put formula in it because that's what I was using at the time. I did put water in there also. For your baby, I would use EBM because that is what she is used to and too much water at their age will still effect their kidneys. Until she is taking in enough solids, then more water can be introduced. However, I am sure if you put water in her sippy cup she probably won't get a whole lot to worry about.

Sue
"xkatx" wrote in message news:8MfYh.2117$JF6.1335@edtnps90...
Just wondering.
DD2 is now 6 months old. Still nursing strong, still strongly refusing EBM (given up on that a long while back) and still not really interested in any food, other than a boob.
We have given her a bit of the rice cereal, but it's not a regular thing, and it's only at night if I find or feel she's getting a bit fussy.
Anyways, I know DS was using a sippy cup during the day all the time by about 8 months. He was in daycare at this point, and we nursed only at night, in the morning and when I was at home and he wasn't at daycare. That went fine, but that was also about 5 and a half years ago.

Today I bought a little sippy cup for DD2. It's a "Heinz Baby Basics Tumbler" and it has the very, very soft, flexible spout. It's small and it said it was the very beginner stage. I am thinking I will try her on the sippy cup every now and then starting real soon, just to see if she gets the hang of it. I'm wondering.. Should I give her water in it? Or should I give EBM? I have not been pumping at all lately - don't even have a pump anymore. I do have EBM still stored and frozen in the freezer that I have been thawing out very slowly to use with her cereal when she takes that. I really do not have much as far as milk goes that is stored.
I will not give her juices at this point. She is still far too young for that. I just don't know what I should be putting in this new sippy cup to try her with it every now and then during the day. At this point, I am not ready to give up nursing, and I don't think she is either.
As I type, I'm starting to wonder if I should put water in it. I do NOT want to be forced into giving her formula all the time because she takes the little bit of EBM in a cup, and we also have bottle refusal issues (which I am starting to really not mind about, even though I have far less freedom right now than I would like)
Should I forget the sippy cup at this point or should I give it a shot slowly but surely? Should I try water in it or EBM? It's been a while, and I really can't remember what we did with DD1 not long ago, for some reason. She also uses different sippy cups and always has. I do believe she was quite a bit older than DD2 is now, but DD2 is now the same age as DS was when I first tried him with it. Also, DS would take anything shoved into his mouth that would provide him with food. He showed a clear preference towards a breast, and he had bottles very, very rarely.
Any suggestions?
Old April 27th 07, 08:39 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Cups of...?

it's a no brainer, offer water in a cup at meal times

Anne

Old April 28th 07, 03:34 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki
external usenet poster

Default Cups of...?

I offer my babies water out of a sippy cup at 6mos. I also let them learn to drink out of a cup with no lid at 5-6mos. Again - I use water.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99
Luke 4/01
Brock 4/06
Ben 4/06
"xkatx" wrote in message news:8MfYh.2117$JF6.1335@edtnps90...
Just wondering.

Any suggestions?
Old April 28th 07, 08:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
yogigupta
external usenet poster

Default Cups of...?

On Apr 27, 1:22 am, "xkatx" wrote:
Just wondering.

Any suggestions?

Cup of iron fortified infant formula.

Old April 29th 07, 12:56 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Cups of...?

this is a breastfeeding newsgroup, the choice for xkatx was between
breastmilk and water

Anne

Old April 29th 07, 01:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
yogigupta
external usenet poster

Default Cups of...?

On Apr 28, 7:56 pm, "Anne Rogers" wrote:

this is a breastfeeding newsgroup, the choice for xkatx was between
breastmilk and water

Anne

Anne!
You are right.. I did not replace the breast milk with infant formula.
But I replaced the water with infant formula. Infant formula will
provide the baby as much fluid as the water, but it will also add the
nutrion.

And yes! I do realize it is a breast feeding group. Does it mean that
a man is not welcome.. Sorry to have intruded then...

Old April 29th 07, 05:32 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Cups of...?

nutrion.

unnecessary nutrition though, that would likely reduce the nutrition gained
from breastfeeding, the baby won't just eat more, but if she takes to the
cup with the formula, will drink that in place of a breastfeed, which is not
what xkatx wants, if baby did take the formula in addition to the breastmilk
and didn't cut down, that wouldn't be good either, potentially leading to
obesity. Liquids do not always need to be nutritious, adults need to consume
about 2 litres of completely non nutritious water per day for optimum
health, babies of around 6 months are just reaching the point where they
need a few sips of water.

Men are always welcome, unhelpful comments are not, it was very clear that
the choice for the original poster was between expressed breast milk and
formula.

Anne

Old April 30th 07, 05:25 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx
external usenet poster

Default Cups of...?

"yogigupta" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 27, 1:22 am, "xkatx" wrote:
Just wondering.
DD2 is now 6 months old. Still nursing strong, still strongly refusing
EBM (given up on that a long while back) and still not really interested
in any food, other than a boob.
We have given her a bit of the rice cereal, but it's not a regular thing,
and it's only at night if I find or feel she's getting a bit fussy.
Anyways, I know DS was using a sippy cup during the day all the time by
about 8 months. He was in daycare at this point, and we nursed only at
night, in the morning and when I was at home and he wasn't at daycare.
That went fine, but that was also about 5 and a half years ago.

Today I bought a little sippy cup for DD2. It's a "Heinz Baby Basics
Tumbler" and it has the very, very soft, flexible spout. It's small and
it said it was the very beginner stage. I am thinking I will try her on
the sippy cup every now and then starting real soon, just to see if she
gets the hang of it. I'm wondering.. Should I give her water in it? Or
should I give EBM? I have not been pumping at all lately - don't even
have a pump anymore. I do have EBM still stored and frozen in the
freezer that I have been thawing out very slowly to use with her cereal
when she takes that. I really do not have much as far as milk goes that
is stored.
I will not give her juices at this point. She is still far too young for
that. I just don't know what I should be putting in this new sippy cup
to try her with it every now and then during the day. At this point, I
am not ready to give up nursing, and I don't think she is either.
As I type, I'm starting to wonder if I should put water in it. I do NOT
want to be forced into giving her formula all the time because she takes
the little bit of EBM in a cup, and we also have bottle refusal issues
(which I am starting to really not mind about, even though I have far
less freedom right now than I would like)
Should I forget the sippy cup at this point or should I give it a shot
slowly but surely? Should I try water in it or EBM? It's been a while,
and I really can't remember what we did with DD1 not long ago, for some
reason. She also uses different sippy cups and always has. I do believe
she was quite a bit older than DD2 is now, but DD2 is now the same age as
DS was when I first tried him with it. Also, DS would take anything
shoved into his mouth that would provide him with food. He showed a
clear preference towards a breast, and he had bottles very, very rarely.
Any suggestions?

That's not an option. Sorry...

Old May 3rd 07, 07:11 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Larry Mcmahan
external usenet poster

Default Cups of...?

In article , annekh23
@nospam.yahoo.co.uk says...

nutrion.

unnecessary nutrition though, that would likely reduce the nutrition gained
from breastfeeding, the baby won't just eat more, but if she takes to the
cup with the formula, will drink that in place of a breastfeed, which is not
what xkatx wants, if baby did take the formula in addition to the breastmilk
and didn't cut down, that wouldn't be good either, potentially leading to
obesity. Liquids do not always need to be nutritious, adults need to consume
about 2 litres of completely non nutritious water per day for optimum
health, babies of around 6 months are just reaching the point where they
need a few sips of water.

Men are always welcome, unhelpful comments are not, it was very clear that
the choice for the original poster was between expressed breast milk and
formula.

Anne

I'm a man, and I agree with Anne!

Larry