Cups of...?

Old April 27th 07, 06:22 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

Default Cups of...?

Just wondering.
DD2 is now 6 months old. Still nursing strong, still strongly refusing EBM (given up on that a long while back) and still not really interested in any food, other than a boob.
We have given her a bit of the rice cereal, but it's not a regular thing, and it's only at night if I find or feel she's getting a bit fussy.
Anyways, I know DS was using a sippy cup during the day all the time by about 8 months. He was in daycare at this point, and we nursed only at night, in the morning and when I was at home and he wasn't at daycare. That went fine, but that was also about 5 and a half years ago.

Today I bought a little sippy cup for DD2. It's a "Heinz Baby Basics Tumbler" and it has the very, very soft, flexible spout. It's small and it said it was the very beginner stage. I am thinking I will try her on the sippy cup every now and then starting real soon, just to see if she gets the hang of it. I'm wondering.. Should I give her water in it? Or should I give EBM? I have not been pumping at all lately - don't even have a pump anymore. I do have EBM still stored and frozen in the freezer that I have been thawing out very slowly to use with her cereal when she takes that. I really do not have much as far as milk goes that is stored.
I will not give her juices at this point. She is still far too young for that. I just don't know what I should be putting in this new sippy cup to try her with it every now and then during the day. At this point, I am not ready to give up nursing, and I don't think she is either.
As I type, I'm starting to wonder if I should put water in it. I do NOT want to be forced into giving her formula all the time because she takes the little bit of EBM in a cup, and we also have bottle refusal issues (which I am starting to really not mind about, even though I have far less freedom right now than I would like)
Should I forget the sippy cup at this point or should I give it a shot slowly but surely? Should I try water in it or EBM? It's been a while, and I really can't remember what we did with DD1 not long ago, for some reason. She also uses different sippy cups and always has. I do believe she was quite a bit older than DD2 is now, but DD2 is now the same age as DS was when I first tried him with it. Also, DS would take anything shoved into his mouth that would provide him with food. He showed a clear preference towards a breast, and he had bottles very, very rarely.
Any suggestions?

Old April 27th 07, 08:39 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_2_]

it's a no brainer, offer water in a cup at meal times

Anne

Old April 28th 07, 03:34 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

I offer my babies water out of a sippy cup at 6mos. I also let them learn to drink out of a cup with no lid at 5-6mos. Again - I use water.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old April 28th 07, 08:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
yogigupta

On Apr 27, 1:22 am, "xkatx" wrote:
[...]

Cup of iron fortified infant formula.

Old April 29th 07, 12:56 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_2_]

Cup of iron fortified infant formula.

this is a breastfeeding newsgroup, the choice for xkatx was between
breastmilk and water

Anne

Old April 29th 07, 01:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
yogigupta

On Apr 28, 7:56 pm, "Anne Rogers" wrote:
Cup of iron fortified infant formula.

this is a breastfeeding newsgroup, the choice for xkatx was between
breastmilk and water

Anne

Anne!
You are right.. I did not replace the breast milk with infant formula.
But I replaced the water with infant formula. Infant formula will
provide the baby as much fluid as the water, but it will also add the
nutrion.

And yes! I do realize it is a breast feeding group. Does it mean that
a man is not welcome.. Sorry to have intruded then...

Old April 29th 07, 05:32 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_2_]

You are right.. I did not replace the breast milk with infant formula.
But I replaced the water with infant formula. Infant formula will
provide the baby as much fluid as the water, but it will also add the
nutrion.

unnecessary nutrition though, that would likely reduce the nutrition gained
from breastfeeding, the baby won't just eat more, but if she takes to the
cup with the formula, will drink that in place of a breastfeed, which is not
what xkatx wants, if baby did take the formula in addition to the breastmilk
and didn't cut down, that wouldn't be good either, potentially leading to
obesity. Liquids do not always need to be nutritious, adults need to consume
about 2 litres of completely non nutritious water per day for optimum
health, babies of around 6 months are just reaching the point where they
need a few sips of water.

And yes! I do realize it is a breast feeding group. Does it mean that
a man is not welcome.. Sorry to have intruded then...

Men are always welcome, unhelpful comments are not, it was very clear that
the choice for the original poster was between expressed breast milk and
formula.

Anne

Old April 30th 07, 05:25 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"yogigupta" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 27, 1:22 am, "xkatx" wrote:
[...]

That's not an option. Sorry...

Old May 3rd 07, 07:11 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Larry Mcmahan

In article , annekh23
@nospam.yahoo.co.uk says...

[...]

I'm a man, and I agree with Anne!

Larry

sippy cups littlebird General 0 March 15th 07 11:11 AM
Sippy cups .oO rach Oo. Pregnancy 8 January 15th 07 05:46 AM
Sippy Cups... Jamie Clark Pregnancy 22 May 6th 04 04:47 PM
Sippy Cups Peggy Twins & Triplets 4 February 29th 04 02:02 AM