weightloss and BF

Old January 5th 04, 05:08 PM
Dagny

Default weightloss and BF

"Lori" wrote in message
news:imgKb.27153$i55.19537@fed1read06...
Is it normal to lose weight while breastfeeding. I was in shock yesterday
when I stepped on the scale and saw that I had lost 30 pounds since my
daughter was born 3 weeks ago. I only gained 11 pounds with my pregnancy

so
its not just baby weight im losing. This is great because I have a lot of
weight to lose. Can I expect that I will keep losing while im
breastfeeding?

Well it is to some extent baby weight you are losing; you "lost" weight
*while you were pregnant* if you only gained 11 pounds. There was more than
11 pounds of baby, placenta, and extra uterus in there, not even getting to
your extra blood and water stores.

Yes, our bodies are designed to move fat stores effeciently into milk
production. Of course some of your weight loss is breastfeeding but most of
it is probably your body still throwing off water. I gained 45 pounds with
my baby and lost it in the first three weeks. That could *not* be fat.

Since then I have been eating like a pig while breastfeeding and now weigh
about 7 or 8 pounds less than prepregnancy. That *is* mainly fat loss. I
am thinking I should stop eating like a pig now and get back down to the
weight I was when I looked good That's another seven or eight pounds
less than I am now at 3 months postpartum.

We had dinner with some friends last night. The wife, never very
substantial to begin with, is now a total waif as she is continuing to
breastfeed her 2 year old on demand. If I looked like that I would be
worried; but she is very then normally.

-- Dagny