Cold medicines during pregnancy

Old May 8th 05, 03:08 AM
Bryna

Default Cold medicines during pregnancy

Anyone know what OTC cold/cough medicines are ok during pregnancy? I
know Sudafed is ok, but is there anything else, especially anything
that can help a runny nose and cough? Thanks!

Bryna

Old May 8th 05, 03:26 AM
take two

benadryl is fine during pregnancy, and works on the runny nose. beware, it
will probably make you sleepy! My ob prescribed it for insomnia. For a
cough, robitussin is also fine, according to my ob. I had a cold last week
;-) Hope you feel better.

Betsy

oups.com...

Old May 8th 05, 10:30 AM
Chookie

In article .com,
"Bryna" wrote:

Anyone know what OTC cold/cough medicines are ok during pregnancy? I
know Sudafed is ok, but is there anything else, especially anything
that can help a runny nose and cough? Thanks!

Chicken soup
Tea
Honey and lemon
Eucalyptus inhalations
Rest and warmth

If you treat a cold, it will be gone in a week. If you don't, it will take
about 7 days.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old May 8th 05, 12:54 PM
Bryna

take two wrote:
benadryl is fine during pregnancy, and works on the runny nose.

beware, it
will probably make you sleepy! My ob prescribed it for insomnia.

For a
cough, robitussin is also fine, according to my ob. I had a cold

last week
;-) Hope you feel better.

Betsy

Thanks! Benadryl sounds pretty good right about now.

Bryna

Old May 8th 05, 12:57 PM
Bryna

Chookie wrote:
In article .com,
"Bryna" wrote:

Anyone know what OTC cold/cough medicines are ok during pregnancy?

know Sudafed is ok, but is there anything else, especially anything
that can help a runny nose and cough? Thanks!

Chicken soup
Tea
Honey and lemon
Eucalyptus inhalations
Rest and warmth

If you treat a cold, it will be gone in a week. If you don't, it

will take
about 7 days.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Thanks for the suggestions! I know colds drag on regardless (my kids'
colds seem to last about a month and a half each...) but I'm just happy
if I can kill some of the symptoms in the meantime. I *have* been
drinking lots of tea, though. Lapsong Souchong, yum.

Bryna

Old May 8th 05, 02:58 PM
don_tspamme

Okay, this is a tea recipe that I found out about right before I got
pregnant and really helped me during pregnancy. Fill a teapot with
boiling water. Take a piece of ginger about the size of your thumb and
grate it into the pot. Take a half a lemon and squeeze the juice into
the teapot. Let steep for 10 minutes, but longer is good too. Strain
and add honey to taste. Drink the entire pot.

Great for a sore throat and cough, clears the sinuses, really tastes
great. Also seemed to clear up my cold pretty fast.

Old May 8th 05, 09:53 PM
Bryna

don_tspamme wrote:
Okay, this is a tea recipe that I found out about right before I got
pregnant and really helped me during pregnancy. Fill a teapot with
boiling water. Take a piece of ginger about the size of your thumb

and
grate it into the pot. Take a half a lemon and squeeze the juice into
the teapot. Let steep for 10 minutes, but longer is good too. Strain
and add honey to taste. Drink the entire pot.

Great for a sore throat and cough, clears the sinuses, really tastes
great. Also seemed to clear up my cold pretty fast.

Oh, that sounds yummy! I bet it's also helpful for morning sickness,
with all that ginger in it. Thanks -- I'll try it.

Bryna

Old May 10th 05, 07:20 PM
Ilse Witch

On Sun, 08 May 2005 20:30:07 +1000, Chookie wrote:

If you treat a cold, it will be gone in a week. If you don't, it will take
about 7 days.

LOL!! So true...

--
--I