Expired pregnancy tests?

Old August 29th 03, 04:32 AM
Sandi

Default Expired pregnancy tests?

I was looking for something in the linen closet today and dug up some old
pregnancy tests that I had forgotten about. I think with both of my
previous pregnancies, I had bought a double pack and only ended up needing
to use one test so the other got stuck in the closet and forgotten about.
The expiration date on one is 6/01 and the other is 9/02.

So my question is, do these tests *really* expire or can I use them when I
might need to test again (which isn't this month...AF showed up today )

Thanks!

--
Sandi
Abby (9/20/00)

Old August 29th 03, 09:25 PM
Shannon

Usually an expiration date isn't when something stops working or is no
longer good(even with food). It is just a suggested date for stores to take
it off of their shelf. However things such as condoms and probably pg tests
and most likely less effective if used after the date but it doesn't mean it
wont work just means you take a chance when you use them.
You can try a pg test that has expired it wont hurt you but just remember it
is expired so the results may not be accurate.

BTW canned foods and (non refrigerated)baby foods are usually good for up to
6 months past their expiry dates. So if you have a jar of baby food says it
has expired a week ago it is still good. Just the stores are no longer
allowed to sell it.

Shannon

Old August 29th 03, 10:14 PM
Daye

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:25:50 -0400, "Shannon"
wrote:

Usually an expiration date isn't when something stops working or is no
longer good(even with food).

Usually but not always. My DH works in a supermarket, and he can tell
you that expiration dates don't always mean that.

The expiration date is more for the seller than the buyer. All items
found in a supermarket are required by law (in Australia) to carry a
date of expiration unless it is things like panties or socks.
However, it just means that the supermarket can no longer sell the
item. If they do, they are in violation of the law. However, it
doesn't mean that they are no longer good or have stopped working.

Examples that I can think of off the top of my head are Vegemite, Coke
(yep, it has date) and dried pasta. We had a jar of Vegemite that was
2 years past its expiration date. It tasted the same... or so my DH
told me. I don't eat Vegemite. C'mon, dried pasta has a date. I
certainly would use it after the date.

I do know that dates are certainly a good thing on many items -- like
diary products. However, the date thing is just taken way too far.

Oh, I don't have any idea if an expired pregnancy test would still
work. The OP could always try it. If she had a doubt, she could just
buy a new test.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan

Darned Standardized Tests Iowacookiemom General (moderated) 32 April 25th 04 12:24 AM
"U.S. teen pregnancy, birth and abortion rates decline" Mike General 0 February 20th 04 03:28 PM
GBS and Glucose Tests Daye Pregnancy 3 August 7th 03 02:22 AM
HCG - Facts [email protected] Pregnancy 0 August 3rd 03 04:16 AM
No/Irregular Period, but Negative Pregnancy Test Pregnancy 2 July 22nd 03 07:23 PM