6 mos eating

Old April 30th 07, 07:14 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nicole

Default 6 mos eating

Hi everyone:

I just wanted to make sure I am not causing harm to my little one.
I'm sure I'm not, but always good to get opions from other
breastfeeding mommies. Neil is 6.5 mos old and still mainly
breastfeeds. He eats some oatmeal for my sister and will eat prunes
the ones from the jar that we prepare not the gerber kind. but that's
about it. He's not much into food. we've tried lots. list of
dislikes
applesauce
pears
peaches
banannas
list of sometimes he'll eat a bite or two from
peas (frozen then blended with water)
sweet potatoes mashed from my plate
carrots (frozen then blended with water

most of the time he will eat bananna Oatmeal with apple juice or
breast milk, but that's only once or twice a day.

Is this normal?

Old April 30th 07, 08:35 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Workingmom

Nicole skrev:
[...]

It sounds like quite a lot of things.

Lots-a-lots-a-babies start solids later than 6.5 mos.

I wouldn't worry one little bit.

Tine, Denmark
Old April 30th 07, 08:59 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

On Apr 30, 11:14 am, Nicole wrote:
[...]

This sounds like plenty of solid food for a 6.5 month old. The
majority of his calories should still come from your milk. As he gets
older and can handle more different textures of food, he may be more
interested in food.

My oldest really didn't want the watery stuff and didn't care to eat
until she could feed herself a bit. After she decided she liked a
food, she would want me to feed it to her too.

--Betsy

Old April 30th 07, 10:00 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nicole

thank you both, I assumed as much but just thought I'd check. you
know other mommies and how much they can tell you you are doing
wrong.

Old May 1st 07, 09:41 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Workingmom

Nicole skrev:
thank you both, I assumed as much but just thought I'd check. you
know other mommies and how much they can tell you you are doing
wrong.

Yup!

A child can get all her nutritions from breastmilk for 12 months, I've
been told.

At 6.5 mos solids are more for training and for fun than for nutrition.

Tine, Denmark
Old May 1st 07, 11:38 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

Nicole wrote:

I just wanted to make sure I am not causing harm to my little one.
I'm sure I'm not, but always good to get opions from other
breastfeeding mommies. Neil is 6.5 mos old and still mainly
breastfeeds.

For the first year, breastmilk should be
the primary food. Don't worry about solids
right now.

-- Anita --
Old May 1st 07, 02:32 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

On Apr 30, 4:00 pm, Nicole wrote:
thank you both, I assumed as much but just thought I'd check. you
know other mommies and how much they can tell you you are doing
wrong.

Ah yes, everyone else has an idea of what's best for your baby.

For some reason, some moms (I find this especially true amongst
formula feeding) are really keen to start solids as early as possible.
The recommendations changed from 4 months to 6 months relatively
recently, so many people - pediatricians included - suggest starting
at 4 months. Some of the food guides for babies make it sound like
your 6 month old should be having 3+ solids meals/day! At 6 months DD
was taking maybe a few bites of pureed food once/day.

Stick with what you know best. Here's a good resource
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...olids-how.html
however I think kellymom tends to go the other extreme and emphasizes
delaying solids. The forums there are very useful as well.

Old May 2nd 07, 12:37 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_2_]

The recommendations changed from 4 months to 6 months relatively
recently, so many people - pediatricians included - suggest starting
at 4 months.

relatively recently was still before my DS (4 this month) was born, the UK
government change their official guidelines not that long before he was
born, but I'd guess WHO must have been a year to 2 years before that, I
don't consider that to be particularly recent!

Anne

Old May 2nd 07, 03:02 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

On May 1, 6:37 pm, "Anne Rogers" wrote:
The recommendations changed from 4 months to 6 months relatively
recently, so many people - pediatricians included - suggest starting
at 4 months.

relatively recently was still before my DS (4 this month) was born, the UK
government change their official guidelines not that long before he was
born, but I'd guess WHO must have been a year to 2 years before that, I
don't consider that to be particularly recent!

Anne

I think anything in the last 10-15 or so years is 'relatively recent,'
as most pedis are not so up to date and most parents are a number of
years behind, given they get their input from older parents. It takes
awhile for most people to really get an idea of current
recommendations. We're biased here, as most people who take part in
chat groups are also likely to be those who look into such things. I
can guarantee you none of my siblings who have given birth in the last
21 years (oldest nephew is 21, youngest niece is 1.5) know anything
about AAP recommendations except maybe my MD sister, and if I was
listening to her for advice, her youngest is ~12 and I highly doubt
she's looked at AAP recommendations since then. The general
population is less aware of such things and go by the word of other
parents.

Old May 2nd 07, 07:49 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Workingmom

Anne Rogers skrev:
The recommendations changed from 4 months to 6 months relatively
recently, so many people - pediatricians included - suggest starting
at 4 months.

relatively recently was still before my DS (4 this month) was born, the UK
government change their official guidelines not that long before he was
born, but I'd guess WHO must have been a year to 2 years before that, I
don't consider that to be particularly recent!

Anne

My son is nearly 10 - the recommendation said 6 mos then too.

Could have had a connection with the fact that maternaty leave was
around 6 mos then :-)

Tine, Denmark

DD not eating well Jenny Breastfeeding 4 April 10th 07 06:31 PM
NB not eating enough Shell Breastfeeding 16 November 23rd 05 02:27 AM
what are you eating?? ted Pregnancy 25 January 28th 04 05:59 PM
The answer to "eating AGAIN?!?!?" zeldabee Breastfeeding 1 October 17th 03 11:27 AM
How much should my 1 yo be eating?? A&G&K Breastfeeding 10 August 22nd 03 09:43 PM