dealing with 'roids...

Old August 20th 05, 04:25 AM
oregonchick

Default dealing with 'roids...

OH MY GOD. That's all I have to say... Where in the heck did THESE come from??? I know that hemmorhoids are caused by constipation, so I have been extra vigilant to make sure I am regular and not straining. Seems that did no good. I have like 3 of them that suddenly cropped up out of nowhere, and one is the size of a grape and very painful. What is the best treatment for these darn things? I can hardly sit! Or ****... I'm only 6 months along, I guess it won't get any better than this.
Old August 20th 05, 05:19 AM
DLS

Hello,

Sometimes it's not just constipation - hemorrhoids are just like
varicose veins - your extra blood volume and abdominal pressure are
just making it difficult for the blood to flow, in addition to slowed
digestive processes.

I have good news and bad news, at least from my experience. The bad
news was that with my body type, hemorrhoids were a painful part of my
last trimester (first baby), and the delivery made them very bad. I
had to sit on a "doughnut" for three weeks after the delivery, and was
worried they'd never heal. I had to take sitz baths twice a day and a
warm soak whenever I could find time - I had five total. In fact, it
was more sore than the episiotomy for the first week.

The good news is this - the healing capability of the human body is
AMAZING. Yes, if you have them in your sixth month, they'll probably
only get worse before they get better. They will likely "pop out" at
delivery (slight suggestion - think long and hard before you use the
mirror to see the birth - this is what SHOCKED me about them most - be
prepared to see anything in that mirror if you are having this issue!!!
Sorry if this was TMI). But by three and a half weeks after delivery,
I was 80% back to normal. By five weeks after, it was like they had
never happened. From what I was told it's pretty rare that they don't
"regress" quickly after delivery.

I suggest pre-emptive therapy for relief now - the standard stuff (try
to keep circulation up, elevate legs, have fiber and water, etc), but
also try the sitz baths if you have time. You can pick them up at most
pharmacies. The doughnut is nice too, especially if you sit a lot.
Lukewarm baths (avoid submersion of your tummy if it's too warm of
course) offer great relief. Topical creams (the "H" and such) help
somewhat but they are only temporary and don't help the actual problem
- in fact, when I was being treated post-delivery, I was told that the
ingredients can long-term aggravate the tissue. They suggested Tucks
pads for relief, which helped.

However, if they get to the point that they are excruciatingly painful
to the touch, seek the help of your ob/gyn.

Good luck - this will likely pass as soon as all that pressure is gone
and you have your baby! I think they should go into more detail about
this in all those darn books. =)

DL
Mom to DD born Feb 2005

Old August 22nd 05, 05:32 AM
DamnOkie

Sorry but my belly hurts from laughing so much...Oh My!

Yes, I was bless with roids during my first pregnancy at 15.

I have since had my roid invite a few friends over during each subsequent
pregnancy.

I have 4 children.

LoL Rofl!

Samantha

Old August 22nd 05, 04:09 PM

oregonchick wrote:
OH MY GOD. That's all I have to say... Where in the heck did THESE come from??? I know that hemmorhoids are caused by constipation, so I have been extra vigilant to make sure I am regular and not straining. Seems that did no good. I have like 3 of them that suddenly cropped up out of nowhere, and one is the size of a grape and very painful. What is the best treatment for these darn things? I can hardly sit! Or ****... I'm only 6 months along, I guess it won't get any better than this.

I don't think i can eat grapes ever again

I didn't have problem during my pregnancies but after first delivery it
was pure hell. It got better and then it got worse, a lot worse and
then it got better again. What I observed was that even if you take
fiber and lot of water, it will only help you so much. For me, regular
exercise (walking) helped a lot. It's almost like if i walk that day, I
didn't have to strain. if I didn't walk, it was really bad that day.
Just keep things really clean. Wash with soap and water after every
bowel movement. Buy Preparation H wipes (wider than tucks pads). Stool
sofeners weren't much help for me.
As I mentioned these tips are for after delivery. Sorry you're
suffering. Hope you feel better.