First trimester discomfort?

Old September 20th 03, 02:59 AM
Jill

Default First trimester discomfort?

I know I am driving my husband crazy. I am very tearful and SO
uncomfortable...I am wailing "How am I everrrrr going to make it through 8
morrrrrrrre monthsssssss"...I just wonder if this is common to feel SO BAD,
or is it more common in a first pregnancy, or what?

I am only 6 weeks along approximately- haven't had an ultrasound to date the
pregnancy yet so that's just their guess.

I am nauseaous a lot but not throwing up a lot (endless nausea is almost
worse to physically feel than the feeling fo actually throwing up)..I am SO
tired and have terrible insomnia, and a picky appetite as to what I can eat
without feeling sick.

Worst of all is the insomnia which si not helped by my physical discomforts-
how can you have physical discomforts at less than 2 months, I thought the
worst was to come in the last trimester closer to birth......my breasts are
so swollen that since 4 weeks along my bras don't fit! Is this normal??? it
feels just awful....they are so sore. I can generally only sleep on my
stomach and this hurrrrrts.....(if it makes a different I have suffered from
fibrocystic breasts..maybe that's why they hurt like this now?)

I feel so bad to complain..it could be worse. To me this is very
uncomfortable and torturous. I feel so bad already, I hope it gets
better....

Old September 20th 03, 03:10 AM
Naomi Rivkis

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 01:59:18 GMT, "Jill" wrote:

I feel so bad to complain..it could be worse. To me this is very
uncomfortable and torturous. I feel so bad already, I hope it gets
better....

It does get better, though I am told it gets worse again. Everyone has
told me that the second trimester is a relative breeze, and so far
that appears to be holding true for me. I had a miserable first
trimester, although for most of the time I didn't know I was pregnant
and just thought I was terribly sick. (I'm chronically ill anyway;
being nauseous, exhausted, sore, panicky and depressed were business
as usual for me.) I found out at fourteen weeks along and I'm now
seventeen weeks, and those few weeks have made a HUGE difference. The
nausea is easing up, though it's still there a bit; the exhaustion is
easing up a lot, the panic is basically gone. I don't show much yet
and I feel remarkably normal and unpregnant. Two weeks ago I could not
have imagined things being this ordinary and okay. So take heart; you
should be coming out of the woods in a couple months.

Naomi
Old September 20th 03, 06:40 AM
H Schinske

Jill ) wrote:

I know I am driving my husband crazy. I am very tearful and SO
uncomfortable...I am wailing "How am I everrrrr going to make it through 8
morrrrrrrre monthsssssss"...I just wonder if this is common to feel SO BAD,
or is it more common in a first pregnancy, or what?

I remember what that was like, and how I used to beat myself up over feeling
lousy when I was supposed to be happy. For most women it does get MUCH better.
It did for me. And the third trimester, while full of little aches and pains,
didn't bother me nearly as much, it was more ordinary stuff. I felt more or
less *myself* with a few aches and pains added, not like the first trimester,
when I just didn't feel myself at all.

One of the few things I can remember helping was fresh air. At that time I
walked to work, and I hated the thought as I set out, but I did usually end up
feeling better by the end of the walk.

--Helen
Old September 20th 03, 10:22 AM
Dagny

"Jill" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I was also shocked at how miserable I was in the first part. Most of what
you're saying I could have been saying, except I didn't have constant
nausea. That was because mine was relieved by throwing food down there
before it ever got empty; thus I rarely threw up more than once in the
morning, but I gained ten pounds in the first trimester. I also felt like
my lungs were filled with fluid sometimes and couldn't breathe
(progesterone?); and my heart rate would go nuts when I tried to do any kind
of exercise, like walking, and there'd be a rebound effect where if I pushed
through and got anything done one day, the next day would be so bad I'd
practically have to stay in bed.

Most of this improved at 15 weeks and ended at 20 weeks and I am surprised
at how easy the third trimester is for me.

I also had a hard time because stomach sleeping was so uncomfortable in the
first trimester. I ended up investing in a very large, very plush mattress
at around 13 weeks, which made side sleeping more comfortable, and also
seems to be the reason I can still stomach-sleep some at full term. I also
keep a full-length body pillow in the bed and a smaller pillow right by my
main pillow which allows me to prop myself partway between "side" and
"stomach."

So -- please don't think the whole nine months is going to be bad as it is
now. Maybe the beginning for you, like me, is pretty much as bad as it
gets.

-- Dagny
EDD 10/6/03

Old September 20th 03, 03:43 PM
Carol Ann

:: I know I am driving my husband crazy. I am very tearful and SO
:: uncomfortable...I am wailing "How am I everrrrr going to make it through
8
:: morrrrrrrre monthsssssss"...I just wonder if this is common to feel SO
BAD,
:: or is it more common in a first pregnancy, or what?

I have no idea, but I'm so sorry about your extreme misery.

snip
:: I am nauseaous a lot but not throwing up a lot (endless nausea is almost
:: worse to physically feel than the feeling fo actually throwing up)..I am
SO
:: tired and have terrible insomnia, and a picky appetite as to what I can
eat
:: without feeling sick.

Are you taking your prenatal before eating? I heard that can cause nauseau.
Perhaps you should speak to your OB/GYN.

:: Worst of all is the insomnia which si not helped by my physical
discomforts-
:: how can you have physical discomforts at less than 2 months, I thought
the
:: worst was to come in the last trimester closer to birth......my breasts
are
:: so swollen that since 4 weeks along my bras don't fit! Is this normal???
it
:: feels just awful....they are so sore. I can generally only sleep on my
:: stomach and this hurrrrrts.....(if it makes a different I have suffered
from
:: fibrocystic breasts..maybe that's why they hurt like this now?)

Insomnia? Stress? Poor girl. Definitely buy new bras if you can afford
them. If not, sacrifice one by cutting out the back snap and attaching it
to your favorie one.

:: I feel so bad to complain..it could be worse. To me this is very
:: uncomfortable and torturous. I feel so bad already, I hope it gets
:: better....

I hope it does get better, Jill.

~Carol Ann
www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the Monthly Weightloss Challenge

Old September 20th 03, 05:48 PM
Heidi Case

"Jill" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I found that my second tri was better.
The third, when I started to get bigger, was soooo much worse that the first
for me though. I couldnt sleep at all ( I sleep better now, and my baby is
5 weeks old!), and I felt like a house. Granted, I did have a 10 lb baby,
but still!! Your sickness should go away at sometime and maybe your sore
breasts, at least until you give birth.
good luck
Daisy

Old September 21st 03, 02:57 AM
Ralph Snart

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 01:59:18 GMT, Jill wrote:
I know I am driving my husband crazy. I am very tearful and SO
uncomfortable...I am wailing "How am I everrrrr going to make it through 8
morrrrrrrre monthsssssss"...I just wonder if this is common to feel SO BAD,
or is it more common in a first pregnancy, or what?

[symptoms snipped]

jill, you just described EXACTLY what my wife is going through.

it's a little better now (13 weeks) but we're still not out of the
woods.

hang in there.

-rs-
Old September 22nd 03, 02:33 PM
Ilse Witch

Jill wrote:

I feel so bad to complain..it could be worse. To me this is very
uncomfortable and torturous. I feel so bad already, I hope it gets
better....

It does get better! When you move into the second trimester the
placenta will take over the hormone production and you will be
much less affected. In general the nausea will subside, energy
will return, and the moodswings will be less severe.

I know how you are feeling, I am there too... Have you tried
relaxation therapy or yoga to help you relax and sleep? In
my case meditating does wonders.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (14m)