how important are the last couple of OB appts before delivery?

Old November 21st 05, 05:36 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default how important are the last couple of OB appts before delivery?

I'm asking because I was just told that my regular OB has no openings in the
next couple of weeks and I'd have to see someone new. I said forget it,
I've had some bad experiences already with other docs in the clinic and I'd
just as soon wait until I go into labor. I'm 37.5 weeks along, and besides
the fact that I feel awful - tired, crampy, achy, etc, I don't have any real
problems. Can't I just wait?

Old November 21st 05, 06:43 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

oregonchick wrote:
I'm asking because I was just told that my regular OB has no openings in the
next couple of weeks and I'd have to see someone new. I said forget it,
I've had some bad experiences already with other docs in the clinic and I'd
just as soon wait until I go into labor. I'm 37.5 weeks along, and besides
the fact that I feel awful - tired, crampy, achy, etc, I don't have any real
problems. Can't I just wait?

I don't know the answer, but I'm glad you asked because I have the same
question. I'm coming up on 36 weeks and weekly visits, and my midwives
are about 35 minutes away by car, so I'm planning on asking them how
necessary it is to be seen *every* week.

Bryna

Old November 21st 05, 08:36 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"Bryna" wrote in message
ups.com...

oregonchick wrote:
I'm asking because I was just told that my regular OB has no openings in
the
next couple of weeks and I'd have to see someone new. I said forget it,
I've had some bad experiences already with other docs in the clinic and
I'd
just as soon wait until I go into labor. I'm 37.5 weeks along, and
besides
the fact that I feel awful - tired, crampy, achy, etc, I don't have any
real
problems. Can't I just wait?

I don't know the answer, but I'm glad you asked because I have the same
question. I'm coming up on 36 weeks and weekly visits, and my midwives
are about 35 minutes away by car, so I'm planning on asking them how
necessary it is to be seen *every* week.

That's another thing... the drive is wearing me out, and I'm so tired
anyways. The only way now I can make an appt is if my husband takes time
off work. I get sick of doctors I guess...

Old November 21st 05, 08:53 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I dunno, I guess a lot can change, towards the end, blood pressure can start
to rise, baby could turn and need turning back, all sorts of things,
personally I think I would want weekly, but equally I would demand that they
were with your own OB, he'd have to have an opening in an emergency, if he
doesn't have the time to care for you in the last few weeks of pregnancy
then he has too many patients.

My schedule at the end was 36+3, 37+6, (38+2 at the hospital), then planned
for 38+6 assessment at hospital and 39+1 was pencilled in for a home visit
with the midwife, as it happened I was admitted to hospital at 38+5, but I
had spoken in between times to the midwife on the phone.

Anne

Old November 21st 05, 09:48 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

oregonchick writes:

I'm asking because I was just told that my regular OB has no openings in
the next couple of weeks and I'd have to see someone new. I said forget
it, I've had some bad experiences already with other docs in the clinic
and I'd just as soon wait until I go into labor. I'm 37.5 weeks along,
and besides the fact that I feel awful - tired, crampy, achy, etc, I
don't have any real problems. Can't I just wait?

IMHO you should probably be checking your blood pressure, and probably
checking your urine for protein, to make sure you don't start
pre-eclampsia. Easy to get the stuff for that and do it yourself. A harder
question is whether you need someone to monitor the baby's heartbeat. I
don't know whether there are problems that would show up only in a
professional examination and would be helped by induction or whatever.
Obviously, if you feel unwell, you need attention.

Don't suppose there's a nice midwife attached to the practice you could
see?

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003
Old November 22nd 05, 01:32 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

oregonchick wrote:
I'm asking because I was just told that my regular OB has no openings in the
next couple of weeks and I'd have to see someone new. I said forget it,
I've had some bad experiences already with other docs in the clinic and I'd
just as soon wait until I go into labor. I'm 37.5 weeks along, and besides
the fact that I feel awful - tired, crampy, achy, etc, I don't have any real
problems. Can't I just wait?

I think they are important and personally would not feel comfortable
missing those appointments.

Elle

Old November 22nd 05, 02:57 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

In article .com,
"Elle" wrote:

oregonchick wrote:
I'm asking because I was just told that my regular OB has no openings in the
next couple of weeks and I'd have to see someone new. I said forget it,
I've had some bad experiences already with other docs in the clinic and I'd
just as soon wait until I go into labor. I'm 37.5 weeks along, and besides
the fact that I feel awful - tired, crampy, achy, etc, I don't have any real
problems. Can't I just wait?

I think they are important and personally would not feel comfortable
missing those appointments.

I'm with you. It was around then that I learned that my first was
transverse. I'm on the more medical side of things as far as MKP goes,
though -- e.g. I'd have an epidural every day of my life if I could --
and probably rely more on my doctor than some regulars here do.
--
Sara
accompanied by TK, number two, due in April of 2006
Old November 22nd 05, 03:02 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I have a two and a half hour drive to see my OB. Lucky you, 35 minute
drive. Actually, the absolute closest doctor that does babies (not an
OB in other words...) is 40 minutes away. I have more energy this
pregnancy, and I'm doing a lot less. Last pregnancy though, I was
helping my husband in the lounge...and I had to stop halfway through
the drive every time to have a 45 minute nap in the car! But it never
occurred to me to skip those last appointments.

Stasya

Old November 22nd 05, 06:58 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I think that is the worst time to miss appointments. I do understand
your being irritated that your OB can't be the one to see you at the
end. Maybe ask the office to call you if appointments open up for your
OB. That happens as people who are scheduled for appointments end up
going into labor.

KC

Old November 22nd 05, 03:25 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

You are all right. I need to go to these appts. I have an HMO for
insurance, and while I usually don't have many complaints, I'm dissapointed
that me regular doc can't see me here at the end. Thank goodness I'm almost
done!

news