Chances of early labour?

Old September 20th 03, 11:37 PM
shaz

Default Chances of early labour?

Hi all,

I am now 37 weeks! Yippee, I am so pleased to be nearly there. This is now
new territory for me as I gave birth to my son at exactly 37 weeks ( I was
induced at 36 weeks 5 days). I see the Doc again at 37 weeks 4 days, and if
all is well hope I can be given another week before setting an induction
date. (this will all depend on how things are going, as the placenta can
start to fail in diabetics, and I have a few signs this might be starting)

In an ideal world I would dearly love to go into labour naturally, but the
only hope of this is if it happens soon. I know some of you lovely ladies
know an awful lot of info, and I was wondering if anyone has any stats as to
what percentage of pregnancies this happens in this early? Ie at 37-38
weeks?

Also, I have not had any BH, (didn't with DS either) and I wonder how common
or not this is?

Do you think it would be helpful to try and encourage them to start? I
remember people on here talking about drinking raspberry leaf tea? Does
this help and anyone know where in the Uk I can get it? Also does eating
pineapple help?

And lastly, I am expecting an internal at the checkup to see if things are
starting? This will be the first with this pregnancy, and I am concerned
what exactly to expect and if it is likely to be painful?

Sorry for so many questions!

Shaz

Old September 21st 03, 12:32 AM
Daye

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:37:26 +0100, "shaz"
wrote:

Does
this help and anyone know where in the Uk I can get it?

Most health food stores should have it. I have also seen it some of
the larger supermarkets here in Australia.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old September 21st 03, 01:25 PM
Linz

wrote:

Do you think it would be helpful to try and encourage them to start? I
remember people on here talking about drinking raspberry leaf tea? Does
this help and anyone know where in the Uk I can get it? Also does eating
pineapple help?

The midwife at ante-natal class last week discussed pineapple and
suggested that what it does is act a bit like a laxative, so it makes
the bowel contract, which in turn can cause the uterus to start
contracting. The same with curry. So both may be an option, but I
suspect that they won't actually work unless your uterus is /ready/ to
contract anyway.

As for raspberry leaf tea, if you've got a Holland & Barrett near you
they stock it, as do lots of health food shops.
--
EDD 1/11/03
33 weeks
Old September 21st 03, 02:26 PM
shaz

Thanks Linz,

Hopefully I can get some of the tea.

Shaz

Old September 21st 03, 05:44 PM
Anne Rogers

In an ideal world I would dearly love to go into labour naturally, but the
only hope of this is if it happens soon. I know some of you lovely ladies
know an awful lot of info, and I was wondering if anyone has any stats as to
what percentage of pregnancies this happens in this early? Ie at 37-38
weeks?

sorry no stats, but to help encourage you, my mum went into labour dead on
38 weeks, 2nd time, after being induced for being post dates first time.

Do you think it would be helpful to try and encourage them to start? I
remember people on here talking about drinking raspberry leaf tea? Does
this help and anyone know where in the Uk I can get it? Also does eating
pineapple help?

definitely Holland and Barret, I found some leaves (i.e. not teabags) in
and organic/fairtrade store that had herbs in jars to weigh out. You could
also try evening primrose oil, pop a capsule "up there" and a take a
couple orally, it's supposed to soften the cervix, should increase your
chances of success if induced and at this stage it can't do any harm.

And lastly, I am expecting an internal at the checkup to see if things are
starting? This will be the first with this pregnancy, and I am concerned
what exactly to expect and if it is likely to be painful?

could be :-(, I almost always found them rather painful.

Old September 21st 03, 06:20 PM
Valerie Rake

shaz wrote:

Hi all,

I am now 37 weeks! Yippee, I am so pleased to be nearly there. This is now
new territory for me as I gave birth to my son at exactly 37 weeks ( I was
induced at 36 weeks 5 days). I see the Doc again at 37 weeks 4 days, and if
all is well hope I can be given another week before setting an induction
date. (this will all depend on how things are going, as the placenta can
start to fail in diabetics, and I have a few signs this might be starting)

Just out of sheer curiosity/paranoia on my part, could you share what
these signs are?
Thanks
Valerie

Old September 22nd 03, 04:35 PM
Valerie Rake

Thanks Shaz. I assume the drop would would need to be somehow
significant (like, below the recommended ranges)? I'm not using
insulin--and hopefully won't need to--just watching the glucose levels.
My baby has a two-vessel cord, which also associated with early
placental failure, so between that and the gestational diabetes, I want
to know what to look for.

Valerie

shaz wrote:

Hi Valerie,

The symptoms are Blood Sugars starting to drop, ie more hypos needing less
insulin. (During pregnancy the insulin needs continually rise as the
placenta grows)

Hope this helps

Shaz