Way OT - online survey places? Please!!

Old February 8th 04, 05:18 AM
S Jordan

Default Way OT - online survey places? Please!!

Hi all, sorry this is OT but I remember vaguely a thread last year
maybe..someone on here was doing online surveys for a few extra $. I can't
remember who or the thread..Google search got me nothing but tons of results
that didn't help me find the right thread..and I'm too frazzled to think
coherently anyway. There are a few websites out there that advertise a
listing of pay-for-survey companies for $30 bucks or so but I don't remember
if there was one list that was better than others or if they were all scams
or?!

I was hoping someone here would have good advice as to where to start. I
need desperately to do something and online is my only option in our area.
(No degree in education, no 6 yrs+ experience in the medical field and not
physically capable of being a prison guard) Not even counting the childcare
thing and homeschooling part of life. We have a very depressed economy here
and the adults are doing the McD's and grocery clerk stints, teens are
really out of luck. I love research and would prefer to do that but surveys
are also easy and sort of fun. Time consuming but I've got time. Besides,
you don't have to have previous work experience in the survey field.

Any advice would be great..here on group or directly -jamily AT mwpower dot
net We will just be able to catch up on our house payments and make the car
payment thanks to the tax return (Thanks goodness for E-File and direct
deposit!) but that still leaves us with insurance and utilities to worry
about... not to mention the other bills.

I'm desperate here but know my limits - I cannot sell products I don't
believe are worth it. plus no one around here has $$ to spend on frivolous
stuff anyway. We can't sell our house - though might be able to when there
are jobs in the area again..if the Aussie company really goes through with
the buy and reopens the mine. (fingers crossed!)

TIA, very much

Stephanie
mom to 7 (dh leaves tomorrow for Nebraska, work orientation. Hopefully
nothing else goes wrong before income starts coming in - or after, for that
matter)

Old February 8th 04, 01:15 PM
Vicki S

"S Jordan" wrote...
... I need desperately to do something and online is my only option in our area.
... We will just be able to catch up on our house payments and make the car
payment thanks to the tax return ... but that still leaves us with insurance and
utilities to worry about... not to mention the other bills. ...

I'm sorry to tell you that I don't think you can rely on this to help
you make the bills. I've signed up for every single one I could find
(that works with Macs - got turned down for a PC only one) and so far
have earned zero dollars, one video and two music CDs. The media each
took about a year to earn from the Harris Poll folks. The other day I
thought I was going to earn three dollars, but I was rejected after
one question because I don't have cable internet or DSL, so they
weren't interested in my responses. Very few online surveys offer
money. there are lots of scams that want you to pay for the privilege
- ignore them. There are tons and tons of seemingly legitimate survey
groups out there that have drawings and sweepstakes. Every time you
take a survey they enroll you in a drawing (or more). I have yet to
win any drawings, but who knows - maybe you'll win a bunch of dough
right after your third survey. You just can't assume you will. :-(

Now, to be clear, I signed up for Harris Poll about three years ago
but I signed up for a ton more outfits about 6 months ago. I haven't
given them all 3 years of test time and still not earned a penny!
Maybe I'll win a drawing today or earn $10 from a survey tomorrow.
But I really don't think either of us is going to pay many bills this
way.

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995. Ima shel DS, born 11/16/99; DD, born at
Old February 8th 04, 07:07 PM
S Jordan

Thanks Vicki, I appreciate your honesty.

Not sure what else I can do except try to find some kind of research job
online..but I'll keep trying I am a member of quite a few of the places
that do the prize drawings, no luck yet for me either.

I did find, after posting of course, a list of surveys and mystery shopping
copmpanies...for free. www.volition.com if anyone else is interested. No
charge for the info there and of course the individual companies don't
charge people to sign up either. That way at least I won't be out anything
but time if nothing comes out of it.

Thanks again!

Stephanie S
mom to seven

"Vicki S" wrote in message
om...
"S Jordan" wrote...

Old February 9th 04, 06:34 PM
sher

"S Jordan" wrote in message ...

I did find, after posting of course, a list of surveys and mystery shopping
copmpanies...for free. www.volition.com if anyone else is interested. No
charge for the info there and of course the individual companies don't
charge people to sign up either. That way at least I won't be out anything
but time if nothing comes out of it.

But I bet they have already sold your info to a thousand other
companies. I signed up for some survey information (just 'cause I
think surveys can be fun and I like to try free sample) and I was
instantly bombarded with 20 spam emails a day. I would suggest
creating an email account solely used for this purpose and nothing
else.

~ Sher