reasons for elective c-section

Old February 28th 05, 05:05 AM
Anne Rogers

Default reasons for elective c-section

For some reason in the middle of the night I was thinking about the reasons
one might need to schedule a c-section, most specifically was trying to
think of those that could still apply to me, but it was a more general
musing as well, here's what I came up with

Placenta Previa
Uterine/Cervical abnormality
Some kind of known problem with the cord (say wrapped round baby in a figure
of 8)

which is a remarkably short list, I think I must be missing something! The
first 2 I already know aren't an issue, the later would only be diagnosed by
a late ultrasound, so is much more likely to be diagnosed by heart rate
issues in labour and hence be an emergency.

Other things I thought of but didn't include were transverse/oblique baby,
as I thought it would be best to wait and see if if they turned in labour.

I suppose the one other thing I should add would be medical condition in the
mother, but at this stage I can't think of anything that would mean elective
c rather than emergency c.

Btw, I excluded previous c/other surgery as I knew they didn't apply to me,
but obviously they do to some.

--
Anne

read about out adventures in Korea at
http://www.livejournal.com/users/annekrogers

Old February 28th 05, 05:49 AM
Irrational Number

Anne Rogers wrote:

For some reason in the middle of the night I was thinking about the reasons
one might need to schedule a c-section, most specifically was trying to
think of those that could still apply to me, but it was a more general
musing as well, here's what I came up with

Placenta Previa
Uterine/Cervical abnormality
Some kind of known problem with the cord (say wrapped round baby in a figure
of 8)

To me, "elective" means one selects this
option out of more than one choice. I
don't think placenta previa would cause
an "elective" section; it would be
medically indicated, would it not?

In my opinion, there is medically indicated
scheduled section and NON-medically indicated
scheduled section. (Emergency doesn't count
in this conversation.)

The "uterine/cervical abnormality" covers
a host of medical problems, including mine.
I had (and still have) a large fibroid
blocking the cervix and there is no possibility
the baby can come out vaginally. The c-section
had to be the long vertical incision both
inside and out. So, for both those reasons,
I will always need a c-section. In my case,
it will always be scheduled, but it's not
"elective", it's medically indicated.

(Sorry, I'm a bit touchy about the word
"elective", because I would NEVER select
a c-section, if I had had the choice.)

-- Anita --

Old February 28th 05, 07:18 AM
Anne Rogers

(Sorry, I'm a bit touchy about the word
"elective", because I would NEVER select
a c-section, if I had had the choice.)

I understand what you are saying Anita, I do mean scheduled, necessary etc.
I was thinking of you at some point, I remembered your fibroid, I was
wondering how they dealt with your uterus contracting down afterwards? I'd
heard somewhere that in general fibroids were a reason for avoiding a
c-section because of the risk of bleeding, obviously for your getting the
baby out is the first issue!

Anne

Old February 28th 05, 11:49 AM
Mamma Mia

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
[...]

i vote they come up with new words - elective should be for the too posh to
push types. i had my 1st C as "emergency" - a bit extreme for a word also,
and then the second one is "elective"....what about "backed into a corner
C", or "highly recommended C", or "we dont want you to rupture your uterus
C". I know it was convenient for me too, but i didnt exactly ELECT for it
all to happen that way!

Old February 28th 05, 12:10 PM
Jo

Anne Rogers wrote:
(Sorry, I'm a bit touchy about the word
"elective", because I would NEVER select
a c-section, if I had had the choice.)

I understand what you are saying Anita, I do mean scheduled, necessary etc.
I was thinking of you at some point, I remembered your fibroid, I was
wondering how they dealt with your uterus contracting down afterwards? I'd
heard somewhere that in general fibroids were a reason for avoiding a
c-section because of the risk of bleeding, obviously for your getting the
baby out is the first issue!

Anne

What about:

Elective - scheduled

Non-elective - scheduled/unscheduled (ie FTP but no foetal distress, etc).

Emergency

?

Jo (RM)
Old February 28th 05, 12:18 PM
Anne Rogers

Elective - scheduled

Non-elective - scheduled/unscheduled (ie FTP but no foetal distress,
etc).

Emergency

in our local hospital they ditch the middle one and all c-sections that
happen in labour are "emergency".

Anne

Old February 28th 05, 02:15 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Irrational Number wrote:

(Sorry, I'm a bit touchy about the word
"elective", because I would NEVER select
a c-section, if I had had the choice.)

It is, perhaps, a bit of a loaded word, but in medical
parlance it just means "scheduled in advance at a convenient
time" as opposed to emergent, which means "required at a
time not of your choosing" or urgent, which means "required
RIGHT THIS SECOND." While elective c/s includes convenience
c/s, it also includes very necessary c/s.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old February 28th 05, 02:16 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:

For some reason in the middle of the night I was thinking about the reasons
one might need to schedule a c-section, most specifically was trying to
think of those that could still apply to me, but it was a more general
musing as well, here's what I came up with

Placenta Previa
Uterine/Cervical abnormality
Some kind of known problem with the cord (say wrapped round baby in a figure
of 8)

which is a remarkably short list, I think I must be missing something! The
first 2 I already know aren't an issue, the later would only be diagnosed by
a late ultrasound, so is much more likely to be diagnosed by heart rate
issues in labour and hence be an emergency.

Other things I thought of but didn't include were transverse/oblique baby,
as I thought it would be best to wait and see if if they turned in labour.

This one depends a bit on plans. For instance, if one was
planning a homebirth, one might not attempt that at home. Also, one
can try to turn the baby first.

I suppose the one other thing I should add would be medical condition in the
mother, but at this stage I can't think of anything that would mean elective
c rather than emergency c.

Btw, I excluded previous c/other surgery as I knew they didn't apply to me,
but obviously they do to some.

There could also be other conditions the baby could have where
labor would be too stressful or damaging, making a c-section a preferred
option. I'm sure there are a bunch of esoteric things out there none of
us have heard of ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old February 28th 05, 04:39 PM
Suzanne S

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

I suppose the one other thing I should add would be medical condition in
the mother, but at this stage I can't think of anything that would mean
elective c rather than emergency c.

I recently (at 21 wks) had my first episode of herpes (eeuurrrghhhh! - and
me a respectable mother of 2!). I have been told that if I have a
recurrence around the time of delivery, then I would be scheduled for a
cesarian.

I certainly hope that this doesn't happen, but I am curious what others on
this group think to that course of action. I have questioned it, but the
doctors seem quite convinced that this would be the safest course of action
for the baby.

Suzanne

Old February 28th 05, 05:24 PM
Jamie Clark

Suzanne,
I'm sorry about your recent acquisition of herpes. Bummer. Count me in as
another respectable mother of 2 who has herpes, although I've had it since I
was about 19. As far as I know, I've never passed it on to anyone else,
something that I take great pride in. I figure if we all died with our own
communicable diseases, the world would be a better place... : )

Some doctors will allow you to take a prophylactic daily dose of Acyclovir
or Zovirax for the last few weeks of your pregnancy, in the hopes that will
stifle an outbreak. I had an OB who had done that herself on both her
pregnancies, and would have a prescribed the same treatment for me as well.
It might be worth talking to your doctors about the possibility.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest