"extended" nursing and supply

Old November 12th 03, 09:53 PM
Dawn Lawson

Default "extended" nursing and supply

Ok, so 14 months into this.... ;-)
I really wonder how much milk DS is getting. He fairly often falls
asleep against me, without nursing...just wants a face full of booby And
letdowns take FOREVER, and now that I don't feel them much at all I only
have his swallowing to go on...which suggests there ISN'T much letdown
happening most of the time....

So.....are we weaning?? (I've asked this before) He mostly only nurses
to sleep now, and some mornings doesn't have much interest either, and I
am never "full" or even sure which side to offer, even if he hasn't
nursed for 12+ hrs on one side (ie, if he nurses to sleep on teh left
side, and doesn't nurse again til 7am, he may not have nursed on the
right since noon, but the right side won't feel fuller)

I managed to pump 2-3 oz a few weeks ago, but rarely manage more than a
tiny bit, when I try. I miss that, watching and feeling all that milk
spraying out when I pumped.....weird, and I know, obviously if I miss it
it just means I didn't do it often enough to be glad to quit.... ;-)

Dawn

Old November 13th 03, 12:02 AM
Clare L

Not certain how much help I can be but as we are both at 14 months maybe a
little.

DS nurses morning and night - recently in the afternoon too but he wouldn't
nurse properly unless we were totally by ourselves so now he has a beaker of
milk in the afternoon with his "big" sister.

He nurses both sides - about 10 minutes or so on each one. But last week
when he was ill and nursed for an HOUR in the middle of the night. And when
I was away one morning he was happy enough with moo-moo juice and tomorrow
night when I don't have my husband around to take my daughter while we feed
in the other room I expect he'll have a bit of a feed and then grab his
sister's beaker.

I think that after all this time, the milk machine just produces what is
needed when it is needed. Which may be why you don't feel full.

Hope my witterings are of a tiny bit of use.

Love
Clare

--
Clare L

Old November 13th 03, 12:03 AM
Spanannie

I feel no let down at all now at almost 17 mos. Sometimes I think my DS is
just sucking. There is not a lot of swallowing going on either, but when he
pulls off, there is milk on his face. He loves it more than ever now and
nurses for a very long time during our 2 sessions a day. Many times, I feel
like he's getting a dry run, but he must be getting something. I wish I
knew how much he's getting, but it doesn't really matter, since he likes it.
It's been this way for a few months and no sign of weaning completely for
us.

(On a side note, I'm pretty sure my supply has been lowered, as I did Clomid
to get pg, am still taking progesterone, am pg, etc., so I've done/am doing
many things that'd lower my supply)

Annie