sad about nanny

Old August 25th 03, 11:11 PM
Andrea

Default sad about nanny

Oh Anita it must be hard. My munchie man is 11 weeks old, and leaving him
would be hard for me if I had to. I think you are very brave, but it's great
that you are doing this for you and your baby.
If you think about the situation you have an advantage, the time that you do
spend will be very high quality time. I am at home right now with my 5 kids,
and am contemplating starting up my photography business again part time, as
I realise the need I have to be me, and to do something other than being a
mommy.
I read somewhere that some moms live for their children (me), and if you
drew a grid with 9 boxes for what you do in your life what would be in the
boxes? Well I had my children in one box, and my husband in another, but had
no hobbies, no time for friends, no job no nothing that was just for me. I
had 2 boxes filled and 7 empty, so now i'm making changes.

Yes the nanny is sharing the good times with Pillbug, she is feeding him his
bottle but you are the one who nurses him at night, and he will always know
your special smell. The nanny isn't a second mom, he only has one mommy and
that's you.

Could you not go back to work on a part time basis initially? That way you
could have time at work and at home with Pillbug.

You will miss him, but you are doing your best for him, and if anything your
bond will grow stronger.

All the best,

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 11 weeks old weighing 15
pounds 10 ozs.

Fave quote "Mother is the word for God on the lips and hearts of children"
from the film "The Crow".

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
So, we hired a nanny and today is her first day.
Since I don't know for sure how much milk Pillbug
is taking in a day, I'm pumping all day and she's
feeding Pillbug with the bottle. By the end of
this week, I should know how much I need to pump
at work.

All this is fine and good... BUT, I'm feeling
very sad. The nanny is very good... she's the
one picking up Pillbug when he cries; she's the
one feeding him when he's hungry; she's the one
changing him when he poops... I'm here in my
room feeling sad. She's taking over my job...
Which is what I intended in the first place,
since I'm going back to work in 3 weeks... (Finally,
after 6 months bed rest plus 3 months leave!)
I'm looking forward to going back to work, but
I'm sad that I'm no longer going to do my
_primary_ job in the daytime... I'm kind of
hoping Pillbug doesn't sleep through the night
for awhile just so I get that time with him...
(I may regret saying this. )

-- Anita --
Mommy to Pillbug, 10 weeks

--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Old August 25th 03, 11:58 PM
Irrational Number

(sigh) Thanks, Andrea, for your supportive
words... I'm telling myself that the time I
have with Pillbug will now be quality time,
and I do believe that... I just can't get
rid of that little voice that says he's going
to like the nanny more than me in a few weeks...

I know, it's silly. I do feel a bit better
right now. I went and put Pillbug in his
swing and played some piano for him (which I
do almost daily), so I'm still doing something
that's just for him and me. And it actually
_is_ quality time.

I'll get over this... I do need to have me
in one of those 9 boxes. (By the way, I
_love_ that concept of the 9 boxes.)

-- Anita --

Old August 26th 03, 07:37 AM
CY

OK, this might make you feel better.

I was a nanny for a year (actually an au-pair which is how I came to be in
the US...v long story!). When I went to the family, the baby was 10 weeks
old. He was an absolute doll and in no-time we were best friends. I adored
him and he adored me. I watched as the mama went back to work, clearly
needing it, but also hating that she had to leave her little one. I was v
worried that she would begin to resent me. One day she put it all in
perspective. She said she is not resentful of the time I get to spend with
her baby boy, only envious, but she was v happy to know that he loved me and
was happy in my care and that she couldn't hope for better. She said that
he now had three people to love him, comfort him and look out for him. I
was a consistent part of his life and was always there for him (I lived in
their home also). But he clearly ALWAYS knew who his mama was. Each night
when she came home from work he was so excited to see her, even at a v young
age he would kick his little arms and legs when she came home. Babys just
know their mamas. The fact that they can be comfortable with someone else
is a sign of your good judgement in choosing the right alternate person to
care for your baby when you cannot be there.

That said, if there is any way you can work as few hours as possible, that
would be better. This mama worked incredibly long hours (was gone 12 hrs a
day) and she missed so much and many of his firsts. That's what was sad for
this mama (and me - I felt guilty). Having said that, if you have a good
nanny, one who is understanding and you can talk to, this makes everything
that much easier.

Now that I am a mama myself I can better see what she was going through.

Good luck!
CY

Old August 26th 03, 07:43 AM
Tine Andersen

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
All this is fine and good... BUT, I'm feeling
very sad. The nanny is very good... she's the
one picking up Pillbug when he cries; she's the
one feeding him when he's hungry; she's the one
changing him when he poops... I'm here in my
room feeling sad. She's taking over my job...

I can easily feel what you feel - I had a nanny myself. It changed though. I
got so fond of the nanny that she now is considered family. I ended up
thinking: How wonderful Niels has three adults doting on him in stead of
only two. Such an amount of LOVE!!!

The more the better.

Tine, Denmark

Old August 26th 03, 04:45 PM
Mary Gordon

Anita, I'm the working mom of three - now 12, 9 and 5, and someone who
has had nannies for years (the current one has been with our family 5
years).

I know it is a tough adjustment, but believe me, your children will
never love anyone the way they love you. You are not supplanted by the
nanny - she is just one more positive, loving adult in their lives.

As a mother, the reality is you can't be all things, all the time to
your children - nor should you want to, since you want them attached
in a healthy way, but not totally dependent and stuck to you like glue
all the time - not good for you, not good for them as time goes on.

There is room in their hearts and lives for others - whether that be
grandparents, teachers, sitters, nannies - love expands - and part of
parenthood is realizing that you will be part of their lives but not
their whole lives. It is GOOD if children have positive relationships
with people other than yourself - I'm happy that my kids love our
nanny. They know who their mom and dad are, and believe me, no matter
how much they like the nanny - I walk in the door and there is a
stampede to be the first to hug me. Even as babies, I'd come home and
pow, even though baby had been happy and contented and well cared for
all day, baby wanted mummy. There was no need to be jealous of the
nanny.

Mary G.
Old August 26th 03, 05:02 PM
Irrational Number

Thank you all for your words and especially
to CY for sharing your experiences as a nanny!
That does help put things in perspective.

I do need to work, and for now, I need to
work full time. But, I'm not going to do
12-hour days and I know that this is the
best decision all around. We interviewed
a lot of people and this nanny was the best
person we found, so I feel confident in that.

Pillbug seems to like her; heck, he seems to
take the bottle a bit more easily from her
than from my husband! And she seems to like
him very much, which is important. I was just
feeling a little jealous as the nanny worked
around the kitchen, talking to Pillbug (in
his bouncy seat) the whole time and Pillbug
was happily cooing back at her. I was also
happy that he was doing that.

Anyway, we're fine. I know this is the right
decision.

-- Anita --

Old August 27th 03, 12:30 PM
Mogget

In message , Andrea
writes

Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 11 weeks old weighing 15
pounds 10 ozs.

Andrea, your sig always makes me smile because my seven & a half month
daughter weighs 15 lb 10 also and I always think what good milk you must
have to got where mine is in eleven weeks :-)
--
Mogget, the Churl in the Puce Greatcoat
Old August 27th 03, 12:41 PM
Anne Rogers

Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 11 weeks old weighing 15
pounds 10 ozs.

Andrea, your sig always makes me smile because my seven & a half month
daughter weighs 15 lb 10 also and I always think what good milk you must
have to got where mine is in eleven weeks :-)

it makes me jealous, my son is 13 weeks old today, the doc saw us this
morning and should know roughly how old he is but thought he was only 9
weeks, and last week my husband took him on to the postnatal ward to pick
up some formula when I was in hospital, as he was leaving he was told he
couldn't take the baby of the ward, at 12 weeks he had been mistaken for a
newborn who was on the ward, they do say smaller one are cuter, but
sometimes (and I know this is really silly) I feel a failure as a woman,
bad at growing babies inside and not much good at getting them to put on
weight outside.

Old August 27th 03, 12:53 PM
Marion Baumgarten

Anne Rogers wrote:

[...]

I firget how much my daughter weighed at 13 weeks, but at 1 year she
weighed 17 lbs. She's now almost 15 and a beautiful girl and weighs a
lot more than that! babies grow at their own rate. My daughter for the
first three years was always the smallest and now she is one of the
taller girls in her class.

Marion Baumgarten
Old August 27th 03, 09:30 PM
Mogget

In message ,
Anne Rogers writes

it makes me jealous, my son is 13 weeks old today, the doc saw us this
morning and should know roughly how old he is but thought he was only 9
weeks, and last week my husband took him on to the postnatal ward to pick
up some formula when I was in hospital, as he was leaving he was told he
couldn't take the baby of the ward, at 12 weeks he had been mistaken for a
newborn who was on the ward, they do say smaller one are cuter, but
sometimes (and I know this is really silly) I feel a failure as a woman,
bad at growing babies inside and not much good at getting them to put on
weight outside.

I believe there's nothing wrong with small babies. I think it might be
an advantage in some ways - eg easier for the mum to heft, and when the
baby begins to toddle, a small light baby won't hurt himself so much
when he falls over.
--
Mogget, the Churl in the Puce Greatcoat

"How to find a nanny" Mike General 0 May 4th 04 03:36 PM
nanny pay ,benefits, and hours [email protected] General 2 December 5th 03 08:14 PM
New nanny needs tips Traci General 1 September 30th 03 07:01 AM
Nanny interview advice Circe General 6 September 19th 03 03:24 PM
Nanny needs a wonderful family in MA. It's always something General 0 July 9th 03 03:58 PM