Q's I've been meaning to ask

Old October 1st 03, 11:07 PM
Irish Marie

Default Q's I've been meaning to ask

Once I defrost ebm in the fridge overnight how long is it good for?
If I defrost it in a jug of hot water do I have to use it straight away or
can I refrigerate it?
If I offer ds bottle of ebm (after heating it up, he won't take them room
temp) and he either refuses it or only takes a little bit, how long is it
good for, refrigerated and unrefrigerated? Obviously I would use a freshly
sterilised teat each time I offer.
Why do the Avent bags I have leak when I defrost the milk in the fridge
overnight? I've started double bagging, but it is an awful waste, is this
normal?
Is it normal that my boobs are getting softer now, they don't feel as full
up but I think he is getting just as much milk as before?
TIA

--
Marie
Mum to DD born March '98, DS#1 born Nov '99 and DS#2 born Aug '03

Old October 2nd 03, 12:34 AM
Circe

"Irish Marie" wrote in message
Once I defrost ebm in the fridge overnight how long is it good for?

24 houea, max.

If I defrost it in a jug of hot water do I have to use it straight away or
can I refrigerate it?

Yes.

If I offer ds bottle of ebm (after heating it up, he won't take them room
temp) and he either refuses it or only takes a little bit, how long is it
good for, refrigerated and unrefrigerated?

An hour, give or take.

Why do the Avent bags I have leak when I defrost the milk in the fridge
overnight? I've started double bagging, but it is an awful waste, is this
normal?

I didn't have this problem with the Avent baggies for Aurora, but the few
times I used them for milk I pumped for Vernon, the baggies always leaked
when defrosting. I stopped using them and started freezing milk directly in
bottles instead. I think the quality of the baggies has deteriorated.

Is it normal that my boobs are getting softer now, they don't feel as full
up but I think he is getting just as much milk as before?

Completely. And it's a good thing. Imagine going around with rock hard
breasts for a year!
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [18mo] mom)

"She rose her eyebrows at Toby" -- from "O' Artful Death", by Sarah Stewart
Taylor

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old October 2nd 03, 09:02 AM
Herself

Circe wrote:

"Irish Marie" wrote in message
Why do the Avent bags I have leak when I defrost the milk in the fridge
overnight? I've started double bagging, but it is an awful waste, is this
normal?

I didn't have this problem with the Avent baggies for Aurora, but the few
times I used them for milk I pumped for Vernon, the baggies always leaked
when defrosting. I stopped using them and started freezing milk directly in
bottles instead. I think the quality of the baggies has deteriorated.

Someone, somewhere, suggested expressing into the bottle, then pouring
into the ice cube bags...you know the ones? Then pop out the amount
that you need and defrost. It was after I was done pumping, but has
anyone tried that?

--
'Tis Herself
Old October 2nd 03, 09:44 AM
Jacqui

Herself wibbled

Someone, somewhere, suggested expressing into the bottle, then
pouring into the ice cube bags...you know the ones? Then pop out
the amount that you need and defrost. It was after I was done
pumping, but has anyone tried that?

Have done the freezing bit, haven't needed to defrost yet (but will on
17th/18th Oct). Will keep you posted. ;-)

Jac
Old October 2nd 03, 02:35 PM
Leann and Donald

I had always heard that you shouldn't defrost overnight in the fridge. That
you should only defrost quickly in warm water. Not sure why, but that's
what I read on the LLL website.

Leann

Old October 2nd 03, 03:30 PM
Mary W.

Irish Marie wrote:

Why do the Avent bags I have leak when I defrost the milk in the fridge
overnight? I've started double bagging, but it is an awful waste, is this
normal?

Are they meant to be freezer bags, or are they the bottle liners? I had
very good luck with the gerber zip lock breastmilk storage bags. Never
leaked.

Is it normal that my boobs are getting softer now, they don't feel as full
up but I think he is getting just as much milk as before?

Normal.

Mary

Old October 2nd 03, 08:00 PM
Kereru

Why do the Avent bags I have leak when I defrost the milk in the fridge
overnight? I've started double bagging, but it is an awful waste, is this
normal?

Have you got the Avent clips for the tops of the bag? I never had a problem
with them leaking but I didn't do it much (pump and freeze that us).

They are meant for the freezer, it says so on the box I'm sure.

Judy