upset at nanny -- vent

Old February 7th 04, 05:27 PM
Sue

Default upset at nanny -- vent

Thank you Beth. I make it a practice not to feed anything to babies in my
care, that isn't sent by mom (I don't babysit too much though) because it
does seem there is more information today about excluding things from babies
diet to prevent allergies. I certainly didn't have this kind of information
when my kids were babies. I guess I lucked out in that none of my children
have seemed to inherit my allergies.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Beth Kevles wrote in message

Disclaimer: The following applies to the statistical baby. Results
with individual, actual children will vary.

Wheat is best delayed until about 10 months of age. Introducing it
earlier correlates (statistically) with an increased incidence of
rhinitis (runny nose) in the long term. In babies with a family history
of allergy, wheat may be delayed even longer. In babies with a family
history of gluten intolerance (celiac disease) , wheat should be
introduced at least three months BEFORE the cessation of breastfeeding.

The preceding recommendations are based on the results of various
searches through Medline abstracts and celiac websites.

Of course, delaying the introduction of wheat may or may not have any
noticable effect, either positive or negative, on YOUR baby. It's all
statistical ...

--Beth Kevles

http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html -- a page for the

milk-allergic

like me to reply.

Old February 8th 04, 07:34 AM
Irrational Number

Nina wrote:

I didnt say shrug it off. AFAIK. As I said, I was irate when something
similar happened. I fixed it and then after a bit of
complaining, calmed down. I wasnt telling her to forget it or invalidating
her feelings. Just in my own way, saying that
I understand and that it seems like an honest goof, and acknowledging how
hard and frustrating it is when you have kids
you have to leave them in the care of others sometimes, and even at best,
things wont be perfect. Thats difficult, but to some extent
inevitable.
If it came across as "why are you worried, forget it" , thats not what I
meant.

No problem here! I dealt with it and it's over.
I still like the nanny; she's still a very good one.
After venting to my coworkers, friends, and the ng,
I felt much better.

Interesting update... Friday was a new food day,
mango. Well, after ingesting 2/3 of a serving,
Pillbug threw it all up! The nanny was quite
upset! It's the first time he's shown any reaction
to food (unless his runny nose was a reaction to
the wheat bread), so now she really understands
what I was trying to say. I feel bad that Pillbug
had to throw up to get the point across, but it sure
was serendipitous.

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Old February 8th 04, 11:25 AM
Nina

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
Nina wrote:

[...]

Yeah, that always helps me.
Sometimes I raise HELL,and after the initial anger has passed
I feel alot better and can deal with things more calmly.

Interesting update... Friday was a new food day,
mango. Well, after ingesting 2/3 of a serving,
Pillbug threw it all up! The nanny was quite
upset! It's the first time he's shown any reaction
to food (unless his runny nose was a reaction to
the wheat bread), so now she really understands
what I was trying to say. I feel bad that Pillbug
had to throw up to get the point across, but it sure
was serendipitous.

lol
yup!

Old February 8th 04, 03:28 PM
D W

What???!!!!
Your saying now there's no problem, and she is a good nanny! After
talking badly about her to just about everybody you could think of,
calling her simple and getting all bent out of proportion, you now say
she is a good nanny.

Woman, get a grip. I know we all have times that we need to vent, but
its how we vent that matter.

I think we need to concentrate on the things that are really important
in life. Life is too short.

Old February 8th 04, 03:52 PM
Dawn Lawson

D W wrote:

I think we need to concentrate on the things that are really important
in life. Life is too short.

yeah, I agree...things like doing all you can to protect your child from
a lifetime of struggle with allergy and asthma, etc. by careful dietary
introductions and restrictions in the early stages.

dawn

Old February 8th 04, 09:01 PM
Chotii

"D W" wrote in message
What???!!!!
Your saying now there's no problem, and she is a good nanny! After
talking badly about her to just about everybody you could think of,
calling her simple and getting all bent out of proportion, you now say
she is a good nanny.

The woman can be a good nanny, you know, EXCEPT for not understanding how
important the dietary restrictions are. I suspect the 'simpleness' has more
to do with a language barrier than an actual lack of intelligence, but
communication problems are problems no matter why they occur.

--angela

Old February 8th 04, 09:18 PM
Dawn Lawson

Chotii wrote:

"D W" wrote in message

What???!!!!
Your saying now there's no problem, and she is a good nanny! After
talking badly about her to just about everybody you could think of,
calling her simple and getting all bent out of proportion, you now say
she is a good nanny.

The woman can be a good nanny, you know, EXCEPT for not understanding how
important the dietary restrictions are. I suspect the 'simpleness' has more
to do with a language barrier than an actual lack of intelligence, but
communication problems are problems no matter why they occur.

I may be wrong, but I think there's no language barrier between Anita
and her nanny.

Dawn

Old February 8th 04, 09:34 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Chotii wrote:
I suspect the 'simpleness' has more
to do with a language barrier than an actual lack of intelligence

I attribute my similar problem to generation gap more than language barrier, but
it might be a "take care of babies in accordance with latest research" vs. "take
care of babies the way it's been done for generations" gap.

I do agree that you can have an otherwise very good caregiver who would simply
never think of an issue that we moms might agonize for hours over. Extremely
frustrating, but it doesn't mean the nanny is a bad one.

Phoebe

Old February 8th 04, 09:55 PM
Nina

"Chotii" wrote in message
news

"D W" wrote in message
What???!!!!
Your saying now there's no problem, and she is a good nanny!

After
talking badly about her to just about everybody you could think

of,
calling her simple and getting all bent out of proportion, you now

say
she is a good nanny.

The woman can be a good nanny, you know, EXCEPT for not

understanding how
important the dietary restrictions are. I suspect the 'simpleness'

has more
to do with a language barrier than an actual lack of intelligence,

but
communication problems are problems no matter why they occur.

language and cultural differences make it very easy to have problems

Old February 8th 04, 11:00 PM
Tine Andersen

"Nina" skrev i en meddelelse

language and cultural differences make it very easy to have problems

Tell me about it - even on this newsgroup. Sometimes you ladies really
surprise me (well not anymore, but in the beginning)

I once had a nanny from Eastern Europe. That wasn't easy.

Tine, Denmark

nanny question Stephanie Stowe General 2 June 6th 04 07:49 AM
"How to find a nanny" Mike General 0 May 4th 04 03:36 PM
Toddler's way of telling us they are upset - what does your kid do? Cathy Weeks General 12 October 17th 03 03:33 PM
sad about nanny Andrea Breastfeeding 13 August 30th 03 06:03 PM
Nanny needs a wonderful family in MA. It's always something General 0 July 9th 03 03:58 PM