"cluttering" and speech therapy

Old January 21st 05, 07:33 AM
animzmirot

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
In ,
animzmirot wrote:

*
*"Bodi" wrote in message
oups.com...
* I had never heard of this, but it sounds like what my 7 y/o ds does.
* He will be talking, stop, then repeat the last word or the last part of
* the last word he said (sometimes more than once) before he continues.
* We always thought it was just something he did.
*
*No, that doesn't sound like cluttering. Cluttering is when a person's

mind
*moves much faster than their mouth, so they start talking but their mind

is
*racing way ahead, and they get lost partway through the story, and have

*start back at the beginning. It isn't repeating just a word, it's

starting

Oh, that has a name and is an actual recognized entity? I just thought it
was something really annoying that happens to me now and then

If it only happens now and then, you're suffering from brain farts, not
cluttering. :-) Or perhaps old timers disease. Same difference. But
cluttering is really significant and if you have ever been around someone
who is a clutterer you'd see in a heartbeat that this isn't a brain fart,
it's a really big and pretty weird speech dysfluency. As I said, it's fairly
rare, so rare that most SLPs haven't ever encountered it or even know what
it is, but it's quite significant when you are around someone with the
problem. It can improve greatly with ST, but clutterers always have kind of
a wandering way of reporting anything, with starts and stops in the most
unlikely places, and definate word finding issues.

Old January 21st 05, 11:21 AM
Donna Metler

animzmirot wrote:

*
*"Bodi" wrote in message
[...]

FWIW, mine is actually considered a "cognitive disorder NOS (not otherwise
specified)", because it's a sign of actual brain damage, as opposed to the
more physical speech problems which I also have due to cerebral palsy. I
also have no natural pacing control on my speech, which means that unless I
concentrate on it, I really can get going quickly, and tend to lose control
of inflection and volume, too. All of which gets worse under stress. One
side effect of the cluttering is that when I'm really emotional, I often
can't get words out at all, and end up in total tears just from sheer
frustration.

All of it's gotten much better as I got older, but it took many years of
pretty intense speech therapy to get here, and for most of it, speech was
considered to be my most significant disability, because it was much harder
to accommodate than the physical stuff.

Old January 22nd 05, 06:33 AM
animzmirot

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
. ..

FWIW, mine is actually considered a "cognitive disorder NOS (not otherwise
specified)", because it's a sign of actual brain damage, as opposed to the
more physical speech problems which I also have due to cerebral palsy. I
also have no natural pacing control on my speech, which means that unless

concentrate on it, I really can get going quickly, and tend to lose

control
of inflection and volume, too. All of which gets worse under stress. One
side effect of the cluttering is that when I'm really emotional, I often
can't get words out at all, and end up in total tears just from sheer
frustration.

Oddly enough, this is EXACTLY the same stuff as with my DD. She also has
very mild brain damage (enlarged ventricles) and extremely mild CP. So mild
she's a cheerleader at school, but when she was little, she was quite
affected. She just lucked out and got a magnificent PT at 4 months of age
and her brain was able to be rewired. She also tends to lose control of
volume... it gets louder and Louder and LOUDER until you feel like you want
to aim the remote at her and turn her down. And the more stressful she is,
the flatter her tones and the louder she gets.

All of it's gotten much better as I got older, but it took many years of
pretty intense speech therapy to get here, and for most of it, speech was
considered to be my most significant disability, because it was much

harder
to accommodate than the physical stuff.

Yup...exactly.

Old February 15th 05, 04:34 PM
j2d2

I'm an adult clutterer, and so maybe I can give some helpful information on
this.

I think that cluttering really is something that you can "outgrow," and
that's been one of the most helpful things for me in helping me to
overcome my cluttering, is to try to learn what I missed earlier in life.

One of the premier cluttering researchers in the field said that he
thought that all children clutter at 2-3, and then they outgrow it.

Also, there are various levels of cluttering. If you meet someone with a
very severe case, they are unintelligible, but that doesn't mean that all
clutterers are unintelligible. I think that cluttering is just as common,
if not more common than stuttering, but since it is hard to identify, and
clutterers generally don't seek treatment, then it seems to SLP's that it
is rare.

I made a website for discussions about cluttering. It is:

Everyone is invited to join. Thanks.