Shared Custody?

Old May 14th 07, 12:45 PM posted to alt.child-support
dmr

Default Shared Custody?

I don't know how it works in the US, but here in Canada (Quebec to be
more specific) some parents had found a way to save money on child
support that I believe is unfair for the children.

This is a true story:

A man separated from his wife. They have 2 young children of 8 and 4
yrs old. The guy is General Manager at a Sherwin-Williams chemical
coatings store and makes a pretty good salary.
He has little time to spend with the children but giving full custody
to the mother means he will have to pay full child support (Something
like $1200.00 USD per month). So, his new girlfriend who's also
separated and has shared custody, give him the idea:

- Apply for shared custody and convince your ex-wife that it's the
best things for the kids. Don't worries, if you don't have time to
take care of them just leave them with me.

The man managed to get the shared custody, and so reduce considerably
the amount of child support he was going to pay to the mother.

Find the error!

Old May 14th 07, 01:13 PM posted to alt.child-support
dmr

On May 14, 7:51 am, Relayer wrote:
On May 14, 6:45?am, dmr wrote:

[...]

There is no error- Hide quoted text -

I see an error when a father to save money, deprive his own children
to see their mother. Instead of of spending more time with her, they
find themselves spending time with the guy's girlfriend.

Old May 14th 07, 01:17 PM posted to alt.child-support
John Meyer[_2_]

dmr wrote:
[...]

Unless somehow the girlfriend is _not_ fit, I fail to see any error.
According to the reasoning, each of us has the obligation to support our
children. How we do so is nobody's business, and everybody goes about
it slightly differently.
To put it this way: If you use child care, do you always go for the
most expensive option? Until that money tree in the back starts
sprouting, I would doubt it. So what this person has said is, here's
one way we can meet those obligations. Supposing he had found a family
relative or friend that would babysit on the cheap. Is there any error
in that?
Old May 14th 07, 01:41 PM posted to alt.child-support
Gini

oups.com...
On May 14, 6:45?am, dmr wrote:

[...]

==
Umm.. the mother was depriving her own children of time with their father.
==
Instead of of spending more time with her, they
find themselves spending time with the guy's girlfriend.

==
As opposed to time with the mother's boyfriend? The mother never uses a
babysitter?
What role do you have in this? Are you living with the mother and desiring
more money
from the dad to support your household?
==

Old May 14th 07, 03:02 PM posted to alt.child-support
teachrmama

"dmr" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

I'm not certain I understand your objection. The children spend equal
amounts of time in each of their parents' homes. Both parents work to
support their children, right? Both parents provide fortheir needs while
the children are with them, right? And I bet the father still has to pay
*some* amount of child support, right? BTW--how do you know the father did
this *just* to save money? Did he tell you so?

Old May 14th 07, 03:47 PM posted to alt.child-support
Relayer

On May 14, 6:45?am, dmr wrote:

[...]

find themselves spending time with the guy's girlfriend.- Hide quoted text -

Wrong. Get over it.

Old May 14th 07, 03:50 PM posted to alt.child-support
John Meyer[_2_]

dmr wrote:

I see an error when a father to save money, deprive his own children
to see their mother. Instead of of spending more time with her, they
find themselves spending time with the guy's girlfriend.

By that same logic, you also see an error if the mother's
boyfriend/husband/whatever sees the child more than the father does.
And I've known several fathers that liked to save money: does that make
them bad as well?
Old May 14th 07, 03:57 PM posted to alt.child-support
dmr

On May 14, 10:02 am, "teachrmama" wrote:
"dmr" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I have nothing to do with that guy, his ex or his actual girlfriend.

Now let me understand. Let's say you were that guy: You would be ready
to keep your kids away from their mother simply not to pay full child
support? Do you care about how the child feels about that?

Old May 14th 07, 04:12 PM posted to alt.child-support
John Meyer[_2_]

dmr wrote:

I have nothing to do with that guy, his ex or his actual girlfriend.

Now let me understand. Let's say you were that guy: You would be ready
to keep your kids away from their mother simply not to pay full child
support? Do you care about how the child feels about that?

And yet somehow you feel justified in maligning his motives. Boggles
the mind. How do you know that he is doing that "simply not to pay full
child support"? And since when did child support only encompass the
money that you pay out of hand. Doesn't the father pay for rent and
utilities? Isn't the child receiving the benefits of that? The father
is simply choosing how he meets his particular obligation, which is
within his rights.
But turn this around: how do you know that the mother isn't merely
wanting to keep the children so she can get more child support money?
Just as logical as what you've suggested.