OT--how old for music lessons?

Old April 14th 04, 09:44 PM
Middletree

Default OT--how old for music lessons?

Since I had no musical talent, this was not an issue for me, so I have
nothing to relate to. But my 2.5 year-old son is exhibiting remarkable
musical tendencies not seen in his twin sister. For example, when he
bangs on the piano, it usually makes some sense, has some sort of
order to it. And the other day, he was hitting the keys, and singing
(humming, really), and when he went to higher keys, his singing got
higher, and when his fingers went to the left and started playing
lower keys, his singing got lower.

So at what age do you start teaching them? Can I just buy a "Teach
Yourself Piano at Hime" book for now, and go through that with him
till he can deal with organized lessons? At what age for formal
lessons?

If this was sports, I'd know what to do, but for music, I am clueless.

In case you are wondering why we have a piano if we have no musical
background, my wife had taken lessons when she was a kid, and can't
play now, but her parents asked us to take the piano off of their
hands. It's electric, about 25 years old, and mostly just collected
dust until we had kids.
Old April 15th 04, 07:04 AM
Seth Jackson

Yamaha Music School accepts children starting at 4 years old. We
enrolled our kids at 4 1/2.
--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.co...lypictures.htm

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net

Old April 15th 04, 12:21 PM
Ellie

My DH is a music tutor and I know he is hoping that the twins have inherited
his musical talents and not mine! He is hoping to start teaching them
keyboards at 3 years old. His main instrument is guitar but he says that
keyboards are easier for younger children to start with. He's then hoping
to start guitar when they are around 5 (providing they show some interest of
course). HTH

Ellie

om...

Old April 15th 04, 02:09 PM
telmgren

I don't know if it's the kind of music lessons that you're looking for but,
Gymboree offers music classes for children as young as two, I think. It
would probably be fun for both of your children if nothing else?

Old April 15th 04, 02:09 PM
telmgren

Old April 15th 04, 02:09 PM
telmgren