Please Help, possible m/c?

Old May 12th 04, 04:52 PM
Ilse Witch

Default Update... Please Help, possible m/c?

On Wed, 12 May 2004 10:18:39 -0400, Melody wrote:

My midwife called a few minutes ago and said that my quant. serum test
indicated that my levels are still going up exactly as they should be. Does
this help my chances?

Definitely! That is a very good sign!

I just want to know what kind of chances I have. I feel more positive
knowing that my levels are rising like they should be but is that really a
good indication that everything is okay?

Yes, it is, but it is no guarantee that everything will stay OK later on.
For the time being however, you can relax. If you are really worried, you
could eventually ask for an u/s to check for a heartbeat, but that is only
getting reliable when you are further along then 6 (or better 7) weeks. I
know from experience how frightening this can be, but really, rising hCG
levels is one of the best signs of a good pregnancy if you cannot do any
u/s diagnostics. Try to take it easy and put your mind on other things if
you can.

How do I tell if I do start to m/c??

From experience: the bleeding will become heavier and darker red. At first
you will notice small (1/4 inch) clots, which will become larger, like
when you have a period. You will feel regular and painful cramping in your
lower abdomen, a bit like period pain, but stronger and regular like
contractions (but not that painful). Usually the cramping comes first, but
I've also experienced it the other way around.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (21m)

Old May 12th 04, 09:10 PM
Em

"Melody" wrote in message
My midwife called a few minutes ago and said that my quant. serum test
indicated that my levels are still going up exactly as they should be.

Does
this help my chances?

I'm still bleeding some but it's still "old blood" (brown). She said

to call
if the bleeding gets worse.

I just want to know what kind of chances I have. I feel more positive
knowing that my levels are rising like they should be but is that

really a
good indication that everything is okay?

How do I tell if I do start to m/c??

To me, it sounds like things are going just like they should for a
viable pregnancy! (I'm not an expert of course, but I have read a great
deal). As others have mentioned, if you do start to miscarry, the blood
will most likely become heavier and more red as the days go on. I do
know that several women on here have not had that "traditional"
experience though and their only indicator of the miscarriage was brown
discharge.

I can really identify with the stress I feel coming through your posts.
I was so convinced that I was miscarrying, that even now, I almost feel
like I actually did have one. (Not to minimize the experiences of those
that really have had one, because I don't know what it is really truly
like, but my memories of those early weeks of pregnancy are so tangled
up with miscarriage feelings that the post-worry part of the pregnancy
almost feels like a different pregnancy. Does that make any sense?!).

I'll be thinking of you.

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 7.5 months old

Old May 12th 04, 09:18 PM
Em

Default Please Help, possible m/c?

"Melody" wrote in message
"Em" wrote in message
snipped
Anyway, based on my experiences, your numbers sound right for your

stage
of pregnancy and it also seems very likely that it was too early to

see
the heartbeat during your ultrasound.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me, it was quite reassuring
though I'm still convinced my pregnancy is probably not going to

continue. I
hope and pray that it does, but I realize it's not very likely.

Perhaps I'm
just being a pessimist so I won't be too dissappointed if I do m/c...
Anyway, thank you. You gave me some much needed hope.

I hear you about the pessimism. As I mentioned in another post, I was so
convinced I was miscarrying, that my memories of that time are almost
like I did have one. Do try to keep hopeful feelings though. I also
wanted to tell you that during the time when I was so scared, I did a
"healing" exercise that I had read about in a book wherein I laid down
and placed my hands on my belly, breathed deeply, and envisioned healing
white light protecting the baby. It actually helped put my mind at ease
for a little why, so it might be worth a try! (even if it sounds too New
Agey).

Do you have another appointment
scheduled soon?

I go again tomorrow to check my HCG then I have another U/S sceduled

for
5/24.

How heavy was your spotting/bleeding? Was it constant or sporradic?

Did you
have cramping at all? I don't remember being this scared when I was

pregnant
with #1....

My spotting was mostly light (usually only on the toilet paper, not the
pad), but on several occasions when I stood up, I would actually have
that "gush" feeling and there would be a fairly large amount. I was at
those times that I had this feeling of certainty that it was really
over. (Weird how powerful your imagination can be, because it wasn't
over, but I would have almost sworn that it was). It was never red. I
did have a few very small clots as well, which also was a major
stress-factor. I had mild menstrual like crampiness from before I found
out I was pregnant basically through my entire pregnancy.

((((hugs))) to you. I remember well what a horrible limbo period

this
was. I'll be sending my positive vibes your way!

Very best wishes,

Thank you, thank you. You have no idea how much they're apprieciated.

Continued good wishes to you. Let us know when you find out more! (I did
read your most recent update post and it sounds like the hcg is great!).

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 7.5 months old

Old May 13th 04, 09:11 PM
Amy

It's a great sign that your numbers are going up. I had a similar experience
with this pg, I actually passed some dark red clots, and was sure I was m/c,
but like yours my numbers kept going up and now I'm nearly 32 weeks. In an
inevitable m/c, usually the bleeding will become heavier, so it is good that
yours appears to be going away.
Good luck & fingers crossed...

"Melody" wrote in message
My midwife called a few minutes ago and said that my quant. serum test
indicated that my levels are still going up exactly as they should be.

Does
this help my chances?

I'm still bleeding some but it's still "old blood" (brown). She said to

call
if the bleeding gets worse.

I just want to know what kind of chances I have. I feel more positive
knowing that my levels are rising like they should be but is that really a
good indication that everything is okay?

How do I tell if I do start to m/c??

*confused*

Thanks for the help,
Melody