sleeping, night nursing, pumping, daycare (long)

Old December 26th 03, 08:07 AM
Al Bell

Default sleeping, night nursing, pumping, daycare (long)

zeldabee writes:

I'm pumping for him for daycare, and am able to keep up with him, but
without a lot to spare. I get maybe an ounce or two more than he eats
most days. I do 4 pumping sessions a day: one when I wake up at 5:30am
(usually 4oz), one at work at about 8:30am (maybe 2oz--I nurse him just
before I leave him) before starting work, then at about 1:00pm on my
lunch hour (5.5-6oz), then again just before I leave at 5:00pm (3-4oz).

a) I wish I'd had as much milk as you have!!!

b) I think, as someone who went back to work when my daughter was 14 weeks
old, that mind numbing exhaustion is the natural state for any
conscientious new parent who returns to work. Is there any way you can
talk to your boss/bosses about finding a temporary way to make your job a
little less demanding?

c) Your son is almost 4 months old. Do you see any signs that he could be
ready to start eating solid foods? I see a bunch of comments about how
cereal doesn't help babies sleep through the night. Well, that might be
true of other people's babies, but starting my baby on solids certainly
helped her sleep through the night.

c) My guess is that your nights are pretty typical for the mom of a
newborn but that your evenings are hell because you never get three
minutes to yourself. Could you afford to have a "mother's helper" come in
and do all the household chores when you come home, so that all you have
to do is play with your baby, nurse and sleep?
Old December 26th 03, 08:13 AM
Al Bell

"zeldabee" writes:

I can't get work done, if that's what you mean. I can read or play on my
handheld computer, which does make the time pass quicker, but makes no
difference in output.

I am seriously considering trying to pump (for shorter periods more
frequently) in a bathroom stall on my floor, with a manual pump. Not
especially hygenic unless I don't sit down and don't touch anything in the
stall.

Do you have a cubicle in a back office somewhere?

If you're out in the public eye, I guess you're trapped into using the
pumping room.

If you have a cubicle and your managers have some sense of humor, maybe
you could hang up a curtain or sheet and stretch it across the entryway
while you pump. If you can't pump in your cubicle with an electric pump,
try an Avent Isis manual pump.
Old January 1st 04, 09:19 PM
Cantrall family

I'll probably get a lot of flack for this, but....

If you drive to/from work, and its not a hellish commute with alot of
traffic, and if your car is not manual transmission, it might be possible
for you to pump while you drive. I have in the past, got all hooked up, and
then drove the 20 highway miles home, then unhooked everything and packed
away the milk and the pump.

I suppose if it is mass transit, you could use an Isis underneath a coat
pretty discretely? You said in another post it takes 1 1/2 hours to get
home? Just trying to think of how to use that time.
Suellen

"She's A Goddess" wrote in message

"zeldabee" wrote in message
. ..

I'm pumping for him for daycare, and am able to keep up with him, but
without a lot to spare. I get maybe an ounce or two more than he eats
most days. I do 4 pumping sessions a day: one when I wake up at 5:30am
(usually 4oz), one at work at about 8:30am (maybe 2oz--I nurse him just
before I leave him) before starting work, then at about 1:00pm on my
lunch hour (5.5-6oz), then again just before I leave at 5:00pm (3-4oz).

I can see how this would run you ragged. If I were you, I think I'd cut

out
the 8:30 a.m. pump in favor of something around 10:00 a.m., then do 1:00
p.m. and 3:30 or 4:00 p.m. If this didn't cut it after two or three days
you could revert back but having to pump as soon as you get to work and
right before you leave has got to be adding to the stress. Have you tried
pumping while still getting something done? That really did help me when

pumped at work - before I knew it the bottle was full. Good luck!

--
Rhiannon
Mom to M. Girl (27 months) and O. Boy (5 1/2 months)

Old January 2nd 04, 12:04 AM
zeldabee

On 01 Jan 2004, Cantrall family was all, like:

I'll probably get a lot of flack for this, but....

If you drive to/from work, and its not a hellish commute with alot of
traffic, and if your car is not manual transmission, it might be
possible for you to pump while you drive. I have in the past, got all
hooked up, and then drove the 20 highway miles home, then unhooked
everything and packed away the milk and the pump.

I suppose if it is mass transit, you could use an Isis underneath a
coat pretty discretely? You said in another post it takes 1 1/2 hours
to get home? Just trying to think of how to use that time.

I'm trying to imagine that. I commute on the subway. With a baby in a
sling. Pumping on the way to work would be...weird.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/
Old January 3rd 04, 01:27 AM
Cantrall family

well, I can't say I've done it...but...I guess it would work better in
winter (with all the extra clothes and scarves to help cover and barracade
you), and you can sit down, and if you don't have anyone sitting next to
you, and you aren't facing anyone...Like if the seats were like a school
bus.

I have pumped when I was in a window seat in a plane, with no one sitting
next to me...and had my winter coat to cover me. And in an airport, where
they had little dividers for working on your computer and using a
phone....but I must say its not the best.

Just a crazy suggestion, I guess.

Suellen

. ..