Bleak over a baby (semi-OT)

Old March 2nd 04, 09:02 AM
Linz

Default Bleak over a baby (semi-OT)

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 13:49:58 -0600, "Beth"
wrote:

"CY" wrote in message
Even the diaper??

I was surprised at how yellow the urine was. My own DS might have faintly
yellow pee after a fairly solid night of sleep, but even at 2 months he was
waking up with clear urine in his diaper. Wondering if feeding formula
keeps babies somewhat less hydrated as a rule or if this was an exception.

Was it cloth or a dispo? That might affect the colour?
--
Linz
YB: 4 months, 15lbs 14oz
Old March 2nd 04, 09:04 AM
Linz

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 15:16:51 -0500, "Shannon"
wrote:

This brought back a memory...

I babysat for a friends baby one day, when he was about oh - six months old.
I expected him to be just like mine, who could never be put down, so I just
carried him around for a while. He fussed and whimpered and complained. It
took me a while to figure out that what he really wanted was to be put down!
Once I put him down, he was perfectly content. I was astonished - I didn't
think babies like that existed!

YoungBloke has times like that. It took me /ages/ to realise that he
feels overstimulated at times and just wants to be left alone.

--
Linz
YB: 4 months, 15lbs 14oz
Old March 2nd 04, 09:55 AM
Tine Andersen

"Linz" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 14:46:06 GMT, "Dagny" wrote:

I hope
they all have bad backs.

Wishing them ill seems rather intolerant to me.
--

No no - she hoped the reason for not carrying the baby was bad backs - not
that they would *get* bad backs.

That's at least the way I read it.

Tine, Denmark

Old March 2nd 04, 09:55 AM
Dagny

"nina" wrote in message
news
I use the car seat in the stores because its COLD here and Im not going to
take an 11 lb baby out of her seat, wake her when she is snuggled and

warm.
. Plus, there is no way I can grocery shop with her in a snugli, tried it
and it DID NOT work. snip

Hmm, maybe it's a height thing? I find grocery shopping with DD in the
sling pretty effortless. I did wonder if she would be in the way of pushing
the cart, but found she was above it -- maybe a 5' ish woman would have
trouble.

It's not cold where I am (grin).

Bad backs are a reason to use strollers, and cold weather and not disturbing
a nap are reasons to leave the child in the carseat and/or snap the child in
a travel system. As to the nap thing, my personal experience with baby-baby
Meg was that if she was going to nap, moving her from the seat to the sling
didn't stop that for long. I really miss the days where she would just fall
asleep whenever she was tired, no matter what was going on. Now she's older
and uninterrupted naps are a better idea.

-- Dagny

Old March 2nd 04, 10:07 AM
Buzzy Bee

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:55:10 +0100, "Tine Andersen"
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!

"Linz" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 14:46:06 GMT, "Dagny" wrote:

I hope
they all have bad backs.

Wishing them ill seems rather intolerant to me.
--

No no - she hoped the reason for not carrying the baby was bad backs - not
that they would *get* bad backs.

Ah, I read it the same as Linz - your understanding makes me feel a
lot better about it all, since my non-baby wearing intentions are
based on my bad back.

Obviously I don't *know* what the situation will be and I can see
myself using the sling around the house (I even bought one), since I
also have problems that could lead to baby-dropping otherwise.

I bought a Macpac front carrier in the hope that a proper harness
would make it easier on me. I carried my Macpac rucksack fully loaded
a short distance on Sunday and had forgotten how easy I find carry
their stuff - the baby carrier has the same harness as my rucksack,
well the newer version, since my rucksasck is 15 years old.

I know from carrying friends' babies that my ability is limited - I
cannot carry any distance. That said I never tried out my sling or
carrier since they are in storage with the rest of the baby gear. So
who knows. I may find out later this year.

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com
Old March 2nd 04, 10:40 AM
KC

I think the not bf is bleak, but besides that I think whatever makes
em happy is good. I have a tendency myself to keep the babies right
with me because I have crippled feet, so I don't want to be always
walking to get them from some device, but my 2 were so different in
what they needed that I say whatever makes em happy is the way to go.
My first dd just slept all the time, like 21 hours a day for the first
4 months. She would wake up to be fed and changed, but then she was
out again, so I kept her in a pram alot of the time the first 4
months, so that she could be with me but doing what she wanted
(sleeping). We never much had her ride in the swing because she was
just so happy to sleep. Then with my second she was awake all the
time and perma-glued to the breast, so she was right on me most of the
time, but I did eek out small breaks for myself with the swing or by
wildly waving the pram around with her lying in it. I liked using
whatever tools made us all happy.

KC

"Beth" wrote in message ...
Hi,

Just thought I'd unload about the gathering I went to the other day. A
friend's 2-month-old was there and I came away feeling so odd after seeing
how he was handled. He was asleep in a bouncy seat when we got there, then
was laid on a blanket after a few minutes' dandling when he awoke. From
there Grandma held him for ten minutes and then he was placed in a swing for
an hour or so. After some cooing and hinting, I got to feed him a bottle,
and he was so into it, rolling his eyes back and sucking down the formula so
lustily that my own milk let down. Made me laugh. But at the same time I
felt so sad for him, sucking on plastic, cradled by plastic. I changed his
diaper after that and it was sodden with yellow urine.

Now I know for a fact that this baby was planned, wanted, and his folks love
him deeply. He's a happy little fellow who smiles promiscuously! I just
can't help but feel a little bleak about all the faux stuff. I fed
thousands of bottles to my niece and nephews and figured out all kinds of
ingenious ways to keep them out of my teenaged hair, but after having my own
son and raising him without many props, things seem different. Do any of
you feel this way about other parenting styles, or am I just particularly
insufferable? :-)

Beth

Old March 2nd 04, 12:49 PM
Belphoebe

Dagny wrote:

Bad backs are a reason to use strollers, and cold weather and not
disturbing a nap are reasons to leave the child in the carseat and/or
snap the child in a travel system. As to the nap thing, my personal
experience with baby-baby Meg was that if she was going to nap,
moving her from the seat to the sling didn't stop that for long. I
really miss the days where she would just fall asleep whenever she
was tired, no matter what was going on. Now she's older and
uninterrupted naps are a better idea.

One problem, though, is you won't know from a cursory glance whether the
parents using a stroller or a carseat have what you'd consider a legitimate
reason or not. It isn't as if they'll be wearing big signs that say, "I'm
an AP parent, but I have a bad back" or "My baby will wake up if I move him
from this carseat." It's unfair to assume all sorts of negative things
based on the use of these devices, especially if the baby in question seems
content.
--
Belphoebe

Old March 2nd 04, 02:46 PM
nina

"Dagny" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"nina" wrote in message
news
I use the car seat in the stores because its COLD here and Im not going

take an 11 lb baby out of her seat, wake her when she is snuggled and

warm.
. Plus, there is no way I can grocery shop with her in a snugli, tried

it
and it DID NOT work. snip

Hmm, maybe it's a height thing? I find grocery shopping with DD in the
sling pretty effortless. I did wonder if she would be in the way of

pushing
the cart, but found she was above it -- maybe a 5' ish woman would have
trouble.

I can put the stuff in the cart, I cant get it back out. Im 5'7

It's not cold where I am (grin).

Bad backs are a reason to use strollers, and cold weather and not

disturbing
a nap are reasons to leave the child in the carseat and/or snap the child

in
a travel system.

Yup

Old March 2nd 04, 02:48 PM
nina

"KC" wrote
but I did eek out small breaks for myself with the swing or by
wildly waving the pram around with her lying in it.

Been there, done that!

Old March 2nd 04, 03:30 PM
Nikki

Dagny wrote:

Bad backs are a reason to use strollers, and cold weather and not
disturbing a nap are reasons to leave the child in the carseat and/or
snap the child in a travel system.

I'm not being defensive as I was one of those mothers that held mine. I
didn't even own an infant seat for Hunter and didn't have one for Luke until
he was 3 months old. My stroller never left my property. I just carried
them around in my arms, didn't even have a sling.

Still I really don't understand what the problem is with sitting a content
and happy baby down in a seat of some kind while mom does her shopping. Why
is *just because it is easier* not an acceptable reason if everyone is
happy and content.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)