It's difficult not to compare

Old November 9th 05, 08:06 PM
Paula J

Default It's difficult not to compare

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 14:57:09 +0400, "Sophie"
wrote:

Whenever one of them manages to do something, it's really hard not to expect
the same from the other one, KWIM ?
How do you manage, LOL ?

Well, mine are different as night and day. One brunette and one
blonde, one petite and one tall, one with CP and one without, one who
is advanced in speech and one who is delayed, one who's shy and one
who's very outgoing... it goes on and on.

It can be very hard not to compare. I just remind myself all the time
that they are just two separate kids who happened to be born at the
same time, and if they were singletons the comparisons wouldn't be so
easy. We just try to celebrate everything each of them CAN do :-) and
we try not to see either as being "better" than the other... they're
just different, with different personalities and abilities.

--
Paula
Mom to Olivia and Cassie (b. 4/8/03 @ 26 weeks)
Old November 10th 05, 04:56 PM
Sophie

Well mine have different personalities, physical appearance too (and
obviously one is a boy, and one is a girl), but when one of them does
something the other cannot do, I cannot help but worry. Alexandre is roughly
3 weeks later than Caroline when it comes to physical abilities. But
Caroline never uttered something you could understand while Alexandre says
mummy and daddy, and strangers understand what he says.
I mean, being a mother means you always worry anyway...But I feel so
fortunate to be able to worry !

Sophie

Old November 15th 05, 03:25 PM
Ellen

Sophie,

Alex did everything 1-2 months after Bradley. Everything! I worried
too, and I think that is natural

Ellen

Old November 16th 05, 07:58 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Ashleigh is the same way...about 1-2 month ahead of Austin. BUT my boy has
more teeth than his sister!!!

I don't worry any more about who does what and when, it takes too much out
of me. I just keep a record in there baby books of what they have done and
when.

Take care,
God Bless,
Julie
Mom to Ashleigh & Austin ~ 19 months

Old November 17th 05, 06:50 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

"Sophie" wrote in message
My twins are 6 months old, and they are really really different from each
other. Boy/Girl, fair hair/dark hair, teeth/no teeth, mobile/less mobile !
Whenever one of them manages to do something, it's really hard not to

expect
the same from the other one, KWIM ?
How do you manage, LOL ?

I think that when they're babies, it's almost impossible not to compare
since they do so little besides pooping and eating. Every milestone is an
event and if one reaches a milestone earlier than the other, it's natural
to compare. But once they get older and they really develop personhood, the
comparisons grow less and less important. As teens, there is almost nothing
that I do to compare the two kids becuase they are so unique to themselves,
so individual, and so different that I don't expect them to do anything
comperable. They like different TV shows and movies, they learn differently,
they choose different music and foods, honestly, they're just two siblings
that happened to be born at the same time. It does get easier...the mantra
of raising kids!

Marjorie

Sophie
Mummy to Héloïse, 3 yo