Pica (non food cravings)

Old September 5th 06, 08:27 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anna.Nicole.m

Default Pica (non food cravings)

Anyone else have this. I look at dirt and rocks lately and think they
look appetizing. Wow I sound like a real freak. I'm sure it's my body
telling me that I'm lacking something. but what? Anyone else. Thanks
for not instantly thinking I'm a fruit loop

Old September 5th 06, 10:25 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Melania

Anna.Nicole.m wrote:
Anyone else have this. I look at dirt and rocks lately and think they
look appetizing. Wow I sound like a real freak. I'm sure it's my body
telling me that I'm lacking something. but what? Anyone else. Thanks
for not instantly thinking I'm a fruit loop

Mmm. In my first pregnancy, I craved chalk. Then my doctor recommended
taking tums for the calcium (I think she said at least 4 a day, and no
more than 6?) - - - they were the closest thing to chalk I could eat,
and they also cleared up my leg cramps, which apparently *can* be
caused by a calcium deficiency. My chalk craving did not go away - but
it found an outlet in each Tums I savoured. My iron levels were great
the whole pregnancy, according to my bloodwork, at least.

I would definitely start a pregnancy multivitamin, if you haven't
already, and seek out mineral-rich food. Raisins are a decent source of
iron, and sometimes they have a slightly gritty texture that might
appease the pica a bit!

But, don't eat the dirt. Now, if I could just get my 15mo to listen to
that advice . . .

Melania

Old September 5th 06, 10:37 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lucy-lu

"Anna.Nicole.m" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone else have this. I look at dirt and rocks lately and think they
look appetizing. Wow I sound like a real freak. I'm sure it's my body
telling me that I'm lacking something. but what? Anyone else. Thanks
for not instantly thinking I'm a fruit loop

Heya

I had mad cravings for "inflatable" plastic such as kids armbands! I bought
loads and chewed them constantly! I also couldn't get enough of the smell of
petrol, to the point where I wuold follow cars down the road!!

Mention it to your health care provider tho - even though you feel a moron
doing so! It apparently can be a sign you're lacking something.

oh, and a tip - don't chew plastic in front of your DH, he'll laugh about it
with his mates for ages! :/

Lucy

Old September 5th 06, 10:47 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

"lucy-lu" wrote in message

"Anna.Nicole.m" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone else have this. I look at dirt and rocks lately and think they
look appetizing. Wow I sound like a real freak. I'm sure it's my body
telling me that I'm lacking something. but what? Anyone else. Thanks
for not instantly thinking I'm a fruit loop

Heya

I had mad cravings for "inflatable" plastic such as kids armbands! I
bought
loads and chewed them constantly! I also couldn't get enough of the smell
of
petrol, to the point where I wuold follow cars down the road!!

I had that same problem with smells... The smell of diesel was like music to
my ears (or just simply a great smell to my nose) - not to mention permanent
markers and WD-40! I'd take my time filling my car up (was a diesel engine
at the time) just to enjoy the smell of that awesome liquid. I'd then be
sure to run the car for a while just to have that smell linger as there was
something sickly good about it.

Mention it to your health care provider tho - even though you feel a moron
doing so! It apparently can be a sign you're lacking something.

oh, and a tip - don't chew plastic in front of your DH, he'll laugh about
it
with his mates for ages! :/

Heh... Well, I'd recommend NOT making car and home 'air freshners' out of
small pieces of cardboard that you color completely with a permanent marker
(a few times over, at least) and soak with WD-40 then hang in your car or
around the house. You'll more than likely get strange looks and it's just
so hard to explain how and why it smells so darn good! You'll probably find
that they disappear very quickly if you refuse to take them out of the
house/car! lol

Lucy

Old September 6th 06, 12:13 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
deja.blues

"Anna.Nicole.m" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone else have this. I look at dirt and rocks lately and think they
look appetizing. Wow I sound like a real freak. I'm sure it's my body
telling me that I'm lacking something. but what? Anyone else. Thanks
for not instantly thinking I'm a fruit loop

After getting your iron level checked, get some of those Jelly Belly Bertie
Botts or Ant Bully Sweet Rock jelly beans. They come in flavors like dirt,
earthworm, grass, etc.

Old September 6th 06, 12:18 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lucy-lu

"xkatx" wrote in message
I had that same problem with smells... The smell of diesel was like music

my ears (or just simply a great smell to my nose) - not to mention

permanent
markers and WD-40! I'd take my time filling my car up (was a diesel

engine
at the time) just to enjoy the smell of that awesome liquid. I'd then be
sure to run the car for a while just to have that smell linger as there

was
something sickly good about it.

LOL, this made me laugh as I remember we ran out of petrol one day and had
to call the breakdown people. I think I was about 12wks pg, so I didn't look
pregnant - the poor breakdown guy looked a bit scared when I was hovering
over him filling our car up out of the can!

Old September 6th 06, 01:57 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

deja.blues wrote:
"Anna.Nicole.m" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone else have this. I look at dirt and rocks lately and think
they look appetizing. Wow I sound like a real freak. I'm sure it's
my body telling me that I'm lacking something. but what? Anyone
else. Thanks for not instantly thinking I'm a fruit loop

After getting your iron level checked, get some of those Jelly Belly
Bertie Botts or Ant Bully Sweet Rock jelly beans. They come in
flavors like dirt, earthworm, grass, etc.

Yes, but they don't actually taste like dirt, earthworms, or grass. : )
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Old September 6th 06, 02:30 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
deja.blues

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
deja.blues wrote:
"Anna.Nicole.m" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone else have this. I look at dirt and rocks lately and think
they look appetizing. Wow I sound like a real freak. I'm sure it's
my body telling me that I'm lacking something. but what? Anyone
else. Thanks for not instantly thinking I'm a fruit loop

After getting your iron level checked, get some of those Jelly Belly
Bertie Botts or Ant Bully Sweet Rock jelly beans. They come in
flavors like dirt, earthworm, grass, etc.

Yes, but they don't actually taste like dirt, earthworms, or grass. : )
--

Jamie

Hmm, the grass and dirt were pretty good. I didn't try the worm. The sardine
and vomit ones I gave to the dog!

Old September 6th 06, 02:35 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
~Hunee~

"Anna.Nicole.m" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone else have this. I look at dirt and rocks lately and think they
look appetizing. Wow I sound like a real freak. I'm sure it's my body
telling me that I'm lacking something. but what? Anyone else. Thanks
for not instantly thinking I'm a fruit loop

Oh I can relate to this!!!
I could eat a whole box of my washing powder atm it smell sooooo good!!
And as for the dirt.........yum!!
;-)
I am smelling fresh dirt *all* day atm because we have some work happening
at the end of our street ( more house blocks), so the dirt has been all
churned up and smells great!!!!
I had cravings for fresh dirt when I was pregnant with my first so I went
out and bought a bag of unwashed potatoes just so I could stick my head in
the bag and sniff!
:-)
Cheers
Trish

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world."