Morgan has a stuffy nose: Suggestions Please

Old May 5th 04, 09:50 PM
Carol Ann

Default Morgan has a stuffy nose: Suggestions Please

Morgan in 6 weeks old today. She has an extremely stuffy nose. I have a
sore throat.

What can I do to help her?

~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan born 3.24.04
http://tinyurl.com/299ot ---Pictures of Morgan

Old May 5th 04, 09:54 PM
Dagny

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
Morgan in 6 weeks old today. She has an extremely stuffy nose. I have a
sore throat.

What can I do to help her?

~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan born 3.24.04
http://tinyurl.com/299ot ---Pictures of Morgan

I would suction her nose with my mouth if I was you. But then, that's me.
The bulbs can irritate.

Dagny

Old May 5th 04, 10:50 PM
Nancy P

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
Morgan in 6 weeks old today. She has an extremely stuffy nose. I have a
sore throat.

What can I do to help her?

I would put some saline drops (Baby Ayr) in her nose, then suction. If
you're not co-sleeping, I'd have her sleep in her carseat to keep her head
elevated. And you can steam up the bathroom and bring her in there for a
few minutes to try and clear her up.

Nancy

Old May 5th 04, 10:56 PM
A&G&K

"Larry McMahan" wrote in message
This fits into the breastmilk is good for everything category.
Express a little into a small bowl or cup, then use an eyedropper
to put a few drops in her nose.

I agree with Larry - try the bm and also saline drops might help (although
I'm not sure if 6 weeks is too young for those).
Also - breastfeed her as much as possible - not only does it help her to
keep her fluid intake up, but if you've got a sore-throat, the antibodies to
that virus should be being passed on to Morgan to help her fight the cold.
HTH
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old May 6th 04, 12:10 AM
New York Jen

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
Morgan in 6 weeks old today. She has an extremely stuffy nose. I have a
sore throat.

What can I do to help her?

~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan born 3.24.04
http://tinyurl.com/299ot ---Pictures of Morgan

I always squirt some breastmilk in their noses and then suction it out with
that blue thing they use at the hospital...it always does the trick...good
luck, hope you both feel better soon!

- Jen

Old May 6th 04, 12:12 AM
A & L Lane

"A&G&K" wrote in message

"Larry McMahan" wrote in message
This fits into the breastmilk is good for everything category.
Express a little into a small bowl or cup, then use an eyedropper
to put a few drops in her nose.

I agree with Larry - try the bm and also saline drops might help (although
I'm not sure if 6 weeks is too young for those).
Also - breastfeed her as much as possible - not only does it help her to
keep her fluid intake up, but if you've got a sore-throat, the antibodies

that virus should be being passed on to Morgan to help her fight the cold.
HTH
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003
EDD 19th August 2004

we had a similar situation with Angus when he was newborn and the dr
recommended saline drops - said they were as safe as can be - seemed to help
a little. We did the bm thing for gummed up eyes but never thought to try
it for stuffy nose.

cheers
Leah

Old May 6th 04, 01:12 AM
Donna

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
Morgan in 6 weeks old today. She has an extremely stuffy nose. I have a
sore throat.

The first cold is the worst - at least on mom. Hang in there, Carol
Ann.

Things you can do:

Elevate the baby's head, either by letting her sleep in her car seat, or by
elevating one end of her crib (books under the crib feet, or a pillow under
one end of the crib mattress)
Keep the air around her moist -- if you don't have a cool mist humidifier
yet, go get one. You'll use it.
Squirt saline into her nose and suction it out with the bulb. Breastmilk
will work to soften up the secretions so that you can suction her, but
saline, being salty, will help a bit more to dry her nose out - at least
temporarily.

Try not to panic. This will be over in a week. Hang in there, and try to
get as much sleep as she'll allow you.

Donna (having flashbacks to Sarah's first stuffy nose)

Old May 6th 04, 01:35 AM
Carol Ann

[...]

Just returned from CVS. Purchased Saline Drops and a new Aspirator (smaller
one). Hope it works. She's asleep now. Will wait until she wakes up.

Tell me, do babies cry when you use the drops?

Thank you!

Old May 6th 04, 02:49 AM
melbgal1

In article , Larry McMahan says...
This fits into the breastmilk is good for everything category.
Express a little into a small bowl or cup, then use an eyedropper
to put a few drops in her nose.

that's how my baby *got* stuffy !
Quite an explosive vomit saw milk both from the nose & mouth.
Been snuffly ever since ...

--
Proudly presenting Bébé B
Born 20.Apr.2004

Wow, I'm Alive!! Morgan is Here! Carol Ann Pregnancy 38 April 11th 04 01:15 AM
Breastfeeding and picking your nose and eating it... Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 5 March 29th 04 08:03 AM
Nose Bleeds KD Pregnancy 4 October 24th 03 04:39 AM
Weird Nose on 32 Week Sonogram? Zucca4 Pregnancy 5 October 4th 03 09:03 AM
Nose Bleed and seeing spots? Circe Pregnancy 9 August 29th 03 06:54 PM