Please Help, possible m/c?

Old May 12th 04, 01:24 AM
Melody

Default Please Help, possible m/c?

I just found out that I'm pg a week ago today. I had a blood serum test
(which was positive) and a urine test (which was negative) on 4/30. I've
since had 4 positive urine tests. I'm guessing the first one was just too
early to tell.

I had my first appointment yesterday with my midwife (no internal exams were
done, just bloodwork).

I started spotting very light pink yesterday evening (I wouldn't have even
noticed if I weren't so paranoid, it was that light) then late last night
(after a BM) it turned to a very dark (almost chocolate colored) brown.

I called the midwife this morning and immediately went in for tests. She did
an internal exam and founf that my cervix did have some dark brown blood in
the middle but said the outside was pink (I have no clue what this means).
She rambled off several things that could be the cause of this bleeding but
was very vague (I guess she just doesn't know or want to guess).

My quantitive serum test from yesterday came back at over 9000 so she sent
me for an ultrasound. The ultrasound tech did a vaginal u/s and found the
gestational sac and the yolk sac. She said I'm somewhere between 4 and 5
weeks along. I won't know the results from todays quantitive serum test
until tomorrow (and I have another one in the morning).

I am crampy, I have been since before I found out I was pg. The midwife says
it's normal. It's uncomfortable but not so much I've even taken a tylenol or
anything. The u/s tech also found an ovarian cyst (which may account for
some of the crampy feeling since it is primarily on the side the cyst is
on). The discharge/spotting isn't too terrible. I've had maybe a drop on the
pad I'm wearing, for the most part I wonly see it when I wipe after
urinating and not every time then... sometimes it's heavier than others
though.

Any idea's what's actually going on with me? I know I could be having a m/c.
But has anyone had anything similar and gone on to have a normal pregnancy?
If I am having an m/c how long will it take to find out for sure and what
will happen? I can't handle the torture of not knowing. All I've done all
day is lay in bed and worry myself sick. Can anyone relate to this? Or tell
me what the probabilities are? Is over 9000 on the quant. serum test
appropriate for being 4-5 weeks pregnant? Does seeing the sacs mean that the
pregnancy is viable right now? Please help....

Thank you,
Melody

Old May 12th 04, 02:14 AM
Em

"Melody" wrote in message
snip
Any idea's what's actually going on with me? I know I could be having

a m/c.
But has anyone had anything similar and gone on to have a normal

pregnancy?
If I am having an m/c how long will it take to find out for sure and

what
will happen? I can't handle the torture of not knowing. All I've done

all
day is lay in bed and worry myself sick. Can anyone relate to this? Or

tell
me what the probabilities are? Is over 9000 on the quant. serum test
appropriate for being 4-5 weeks pregnant? Does seeing the sacs mean

that the
pregnancy is viable right now? Please help....

I can't tell you for sure what is going on with you, but I will share my
experience. I had a positive pregnancy test at 4 weeks pregnant. I
started spotting a little brown before I even had the positive test and
I also had a few pink spots (post-coital) and a few "gushes" of brown
over the next week. I had a blood test at 4w1d and the hcg number was
266. I had another two days later and it was 439. I had an ultrasound at
exactly 7 weeks and we saw the heartbeat (I stopped spotting a week or
so before the ultrasound). The doctor told me not to be disappointed if
we weren't able to see the heartbeat "so early." During the spotting
episodes, I was so full of just cold, stark *fear* that I was
miscarrying. I was almost positive that I was. I was wrong though and I
have an almost 8 month old baby boy now!

Anyway, based on my experiences, your numbers sound right for your stage
of pregnancy and it also seems very likely that it was too early to see
the heartbeat during your ultrasound. Do you have another appointment
scheduled soon?

((((hugs))) to you. I remember well what a horrible limbo period this
was. I'll be sending my positive vibes your way!

Very best wishes,

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 7.5 months old

Old May 12th 04, 02:15 AM
Donna Metler

"Melody" wrote in message
[...]

I ended up on bedrest at 4 weeks pregnant because of light spotting-the
opinion now is that this was probably implantation bleeding-could that be
the case here??

Old May 12th 04, 02:21 AM
Kim E.

Melody-

I don't know what all your test results mean, but i can share my
experience. In the first 8 wks of my pregnancy (this is my first) I had
several episodes of period-like cramping and 2 bleeding episodes - one
was like light period flow for 2 days, and then brown spotting for over
a week. Thank god i didn't know i was pregnant during all this or I
would have freaked! The spotting finally got me to go to the dr and i
found out i was pregnant - i stopped spotting, and I am now 27 wks along
with a very kicking little tummy bunny! Good luck and keep us posted.
Try not to freak out during this early time - but that is easier said
than done, I worried and freaked out big time until i could finally feel
the baby moving!

-kim

In article ,
says...

Old May 12th 04, 03:10 AM
Em

"Melody" wrote in message
I am crampy, I have been since before I found out I was pg. The

midwife says
it's normal. It's uncomfortable but not so much I've even taken a

tylenol or
anything. The u/s tech also found an ovarian cyst (which may account

for
some of the crampy feeling since it is primarily on the side the cyst

is
on). The discharge/spotting isn't too terrible. I've had maybe a drop

on the
pad I'm wearing, for the most part I wonly see it when I wipe after
urinating and not every time then... sometimes it's heavier than

others
though.

snip

In my other message, I forgot to mention that I had mild crampiness for
practically my entire pregnancy. It started before I knew for sure that
I was pregnant, let up a bit at the beginning of the second trimester
and then became Braxton Hicks type contractions and the ongoing feeling
of having mild menstrual cramps up until I had my DS. Towards the end of
my pregnancy, some of my BH contractions would last for 10 minutes at a
time and were definitely not what I would call "painless tightening!"

I also wanted to tell you that it is okay to feel hopeful. Even if the
pregnancy isn't viable, you aren't hurting anything by letting yourself
feel hope! I didn't really let myself feel that way when I was so
worried about my spotting--mostly because I didn't want to look back and
feel sorry for my poor little hoping self :-( I did buy a little baby
jacket the day of my positive test, even though I was spotting, and
purchased it with the reasoning that I wanted to have something to
acknowledge that the baby *was* real, even if only for a short time. (In
retrospect, it was too bad that I put myself through all of that
"suffering what I fear" since everything was fine with the baby.) As it
was, on the anniversary of that day, I was able to put my then 4 month
old DS into the jacket and take a picture of him wearing it! :-)

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 7.5 months old

Old May 12th 04, 03:11 AM
Melody

"Em" wrote in message
newsTeoc.74933$Ik.5344120@attbi_s53...

snipped
Anyway, based on my experiences, your numbers sound right for your stage
of pregnancy and it also seems very likely that it was too early to see
the heartbeat during your ultrasound.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me, it was quite reassuring
though I'm still convinced my pregnancy is probably not going to continue. I
hope and pray that it does, but I realize it's not very likely. Perhaps I'm
just being a pessimist so I won't be too dissappointed if I do m/c...
Anyway, thank you. You gave me some much needed hope.

Do you have another appointment
scheduled soon?

I go again tomorrow to check my HCG then I have another U/S sceduled for
5/24.

How heavy was your spotting/bleeding? Was it constant or sporradic? Did you
have cramping at all? I don't remember being this scared when I was pregnant
with #1....

((((hugs))) to you. I remember well what a horrible limbo period this
was. I'll be sending my positive vibes your way!

Very best wishes,

Thank you, thank you. You have no idea how much they're apprieciated.

Thank you for replying,
Melody

Old May 12th 04, 03:13 AM
Melody

"Kim E." wrote in message
a.net...
Melody-

I don't know what all your test results mean, but i can share my
experience. In the first 8 wks of my pregnancy (this is my first) I had
several episodes of period-like cramping and 2 bleeding episodes - one
was like light period flow for 2 days, and then brown spotting for over
a week. Thank god i didn't know i was pregnant during all this or I
would have freaked! The spotting finally got me to go to the dr and i
found out i was pregnant - i stopped spotting, and I am now 27 wks along
with a very kicking little tummy bunny!

Thanks Kim, that gives me more hope... Crossing my fingers...

Thanks for replying,
Melody

Old May 12th 04, 03:20 AM
Melody

"Donna Metler" wrote in message news:7Seoc.521

I ended up on bedrest at 4 weeks pregnant because of light spotting-the
opinion now is that this was probably implantation bleeding-could that be
the case here??

I was under the impression that implantation bleeding was earlier than this
but I've not spotted or bled up until now. The midwife didn't mention that
as one of the options...

The possibilities I can remember her mentioning we

1. Bleeding between the placenta and the uterus as it attaches.

2. A small hemorrhage from lifting something heavy or overexerting (a
distinct possibility as I'm a professional photographer and am constantly
lifting and pulling props, backgrounds, and children).

3. A vaginal/cervical infection. (Ruled out, she tested for infection and
found none.)

She mentioned a couple of other things, all I could do was sit and thing
"I'm having a miscarriage." over & over again so I (stupidly) only half
listened to her. Ugh, I hate having to wonder.

Thanks for the reply,
Melody

Old May 12th 04, 03:18 PM
Melody

Default Update... Please Help, possible m/c?

My midwife called a few minutes ago and said that my quant. serum test
indicated that my levels are still going up exactly as they should be. Does
this help my chances?

I'm still bleeding some but it's still "old blood" (brown). She said to call
if the bleeding gets worse.

I just want to know what kind of chances I have. I feel more positive
knowing that my levels are rising like they should be but is that really a
good indication that everything is okay?

How do I tell if I do start to m/c??

*confused*

Thanks for the help,
Melody

Old May 12th 04, 03:37 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Melody wrote:

My midwife called a few minutes ago and said that my quant. serum test
indicated that my levels are still going up exactly as they should be. Does
this help my chances?

I'm still bleeding some but it's still "old blood" (brown). She said to call
if the bleeding gets worse.

I just want to know what kind of chances I have. I feel more positive
knowing that my levels are rising like they should be but is that really a
good indication that everything is okay?

How do I tell if I do start to m/c??

While no one can say for sure that everything is
okay, it is definitely encouraging that your numbers
are going up. Many, many women spot or even bleed
during pregnancy and have absolutely healthy babies.
If you miscarry, you will likely have significantly
more bleeding. I know it's difficult and confusing,
but I think you're being more pessimistic than
warranted.

Good luck,
Ericka